QLD - Flanagans Reserve, Rathdowney

Postby destrier » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:02 pm

Talk about a thread HIJACK!!

Start a "camping with dogs" thread for Christs sake!! lol

Can you have open fires at Flanagans or is it just for cooking on bbq's?

Destrier
destrier

Postby Cruzin » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:09 pm

They have many of these as I recall

Shane - KZN185; PolyAir Bags; Uniden UH050XR 5xWatt UHF; 65ltr Evacool & a DIY CT under construction
eBay Username Cruzin4WD
Cruzin
Camping Veteran

Postby Troyk » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:28 pm

Yep, you could easily cook a good size dog on that! :grin:
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby Troyk » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:08 am

ScottyB wrote:
Cruzin wrote:Scott
I know what you mean about the "nose down" run-away style of the Russells. They are hard to catch-up with when they're on the scent.

Apparently they are well known for it the cheeky buggers......

Our dog is not a russell but a terrier (like hairy maclary) and was a shocker for this. I reckon I chased her once for about 2km before I caught her and she never lifted the nose once.

She is getting on now and doesn't do it anymore, thankfully. Scotty you should be at this stage in about 10 years!
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:50 am

destrier wrote:Talk about a thread HIJACK!!

Start a "camping with dogs" thread for Christs sake!! lol

Can you have open fires at Flanagans or is it just for cooking on bbq's?

Destrier

OUCH!!!
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby No_Eyed_Deer » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:47 am

Hi Guys and Gals,

We are hopefully heading off here in April for what will be our first family camping trip. So I thought I would ask for any tips/suggestions on what would make this a successful trip for us - you know, must haves to take, good place to set up or don't set up, etc.

We thought that FR looked like a good place for beginners with there being amenities (I'm a hot shower in the morning kinda girl.....hubby reckons I'll get over that!) and the kiosk, and a whats a camping trip without a campfire, so they have the fire drums.

Would you agree that it is a good place to start out???

We do have a pooch we could take - but the FR website said well behaved dogs so that might count her out LOL. Nah, she's good, I'm just a bit worried about how she'd go at night with barking with it being a strange place, with strange noises and a few critters getting about. Hmmmm, will have to think about it.

Anyway, looking forward to what others think...

Cheers
No_Eyed_Deer
Boy Scout

Postby Troyk » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:44 pm

If anyone is interested Great South East are doing a story. Sunday 10 Feb 5:30pm Channel 7.

http://www.creektocoast.com.au/gsec2cqw/story.asp?weekID=342&storyID=1553

Troyk

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:12 am

Troyk wrote:If anyone is interested Great South East are doing a story. Sunday 10 Feb 5:30pm Channel 7.

http://www.creektocoast.com.au/gsec2cqw/story.asp?weekID=342&storyID=1553

I saw that and am not sure that it is a new one, THINK it might be a repeat.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Chippy76 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:43 pm

no eyed deer ....
My recommendations for flanagans reserve are that if you want to camp near water ... camp down the bottom end of the park. Unless of course you want to be smack in the middle of the park near the showers. There is a lovely spot up in the top corner of the park down in the creekline (as long as rain is not forecast or you may get wet feet.) Firewood is available by the barrow load from the kiosk, so take some change.

If you are not taking you r dog I would recomend bigriggen park
[/url]http://www.bigriggen.com.au/[url]

has lots of good shade, a nice water hole and more grass ....
Enjoy your weekend where ever you decide to go .... My dog went camping with us last easter, and had so much fun during the day that she sleep all night! lol [/url]
Chippy76
Captain Camping

Re: Flanagans Reserve, Rathdowney QLD

Postby mystical_aussiegal » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:13 pm

I went to Flannagans back towards the end of Jan this year. It was an excellent campground, wood is available for $8 a wheelbarrow full (though some of it was green)... it wasnt a dust bowl as I was there after the rain and the creek was beautiful, flowing and crystal clear water.

44 gallon drums cut in half for the fire are available (free) and I put my bbq grill thingo over the top of it for cooking. The kiosk has essential supplies as well as pies and sausage rolls.

Hot showers are available but you need to be warned they are on a timer and you put the money in the slot before you get in the shower. This means you are paying to take off your clothes ect.. To overcome this, have someone put the money in the slot after you are undressed.. this was the "unwritten rule" that was abided by in the female showers anyhow!

A couple of brown snakes caused a little havok but apart from that, I would definately go back again. Possums came out at night and lots of bird life around. In the paddocks nearby are cows graising and I love listening to cows moo-ing.. lol
I absolutely love downunder and want to see all of it, especially the outback
mystical_aussiegal
Captain Camping

Postby mrsbanksy » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:08 am

Hi everyone,

We went that way to have a look on weekend I would have to say way to dusty and dirty, but the caretakers were nice, We also went to have a look at Bigriggen and we definetly will go there nice place some trees but also grass. Unfortunetly we were staying at Andrew Drynan beautiful spot but was ruined by loud people playing guitars and singing to 1am, so hubby wanted to leave so wasted a bit of money there because we paid for two nights. The ranger wasn't two friendly either, the people next to us also left on account of the same people. Liz
Is it the long weekend yet?
mrsbanksy
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:24 am

mrsbanksy wrote:we were staying at Andrew Drynan beautiful spot but was ruined by loud people playing guitars and singing to 1am, so hubby wanted to leave so wasted a bit of money there because we paid for two nights. The ranger wasn't two friendly either, the people next to us also left on account of the same people. Liz

Hi Liz, I am surprised that you had issues with Barry (Ranger) at AD Park. Yes he is definitley a bit of a strange bod but normally very good when it comes to people doing the wrong thing.

AD Park is one of my favourite places and I am sorry your stay was marred by rude people.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby amanda » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:32 am

It is is disappointing to think that the ranger did not act against people misbehaving, particularly if two separate groups packed up and left because of them.
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt - then it's bloody hilarious!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby karrynmac » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:40 pm

We went to Flanagan Reserve June long weekend 2008. It was our first time there, and we had friends with us - 2 caravans 3 camping trailers, in total 11 adults and 10 children plus 3 dogs. Normally we go to Darlington Park as it is also dog friendly, but we thought we'd have a look someplace new. I had rung and spoken to the people in charge - a Desley and Geoff Carson. I spoke to her, and was thinking how unfriendly she sounded.
First impression for me was how dark and depressing it was with the many hundreds of stalky gums trees. As we drove around the area toward the office I really just wanted to go back to Darlington. Well, we chose as good a spot as we could, so we could have a circle with fire in middle and could stay as a group. We went to pay but the owners were out, so I went back in the afternoon. I paid, got very strict instructions what to do with the sticker he gave us, then he handed me a set of rules. Yes, RULES. I kid you not, this was not camping, it was ridiculous. Friends of ours came later on the Saturday (we arrived first thing Friday morn) and hadn't gotten around to paying yet, but by the early evening a man (think it was the son) came around everyones sites and demanded people go right away and pay, no exceptions. We actually felt quite threatened as his demeanor was certainly not friendly. Every time I went near the office to use the facilities etc, if the owners were around you could see them giving everyone the once over - it didn't feel welcoming it was just rude and off-putting.
Sunday night we used all the wood we brought with us in the fire bins, had a good night but all went to bed early because the RULES say absolutely no noise after 10pm. As the whole camp ground is dirt we left the fire burning - a lot of wood but not a lot of flame, and no one was in any danger, however the rusty old half drum broke as the wood was heavy and the drum wasn't welded especially well anyway. 10:45pm 2 sets of friends were woken up by about 5 men swearing and screaming abuse while slapping hard on the walls of their camping trailers. The male owner and whoever the rest of his posse were had come around and decided to harrass us because we 'broke' the fire drum. The children woke up petrified and of course us adults wondered what the hell was going on. These idiots act like guestapo, and after speaking with a number of other campers I discovered that they too had been harrassed for whatever reason and would not be back. If we didn't have dogs we would go back to Big Riggen - we loved it there, but instead we will stay at old faithful Darlington. The new people at Darlington are lovely, and come and chat with the campers - they remember you from year to year and make you feel welcome.
I would wish that no one would go to Flanagan Reserve ever again, just to teach those head trippers a lesson. Camping is supposed to be a relaxing time away from home, and instead we had a tense, anxious long weekend feeling like we were being watched and then punished, every time we turned around. :evil: :cry: :evil: :cry:
karrynmac

Postby Barby-Q » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:50 am

That's interesting.
Andy & Ange
Barby-Q
Camping Oracle

PreviousNext

Return to Queensland