Food vacuum hints please

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Food vacuum hints please

Postby will_deness » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:44 am

I received my birthday present in the mail thursday http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... :IT&ih=015 and didn't get much time to check it out. Any food suckers got any hints and tips for me?
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Re: Food vacuum hints please

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:43 pm

Good purchase and good price Will. I have a Sunbeam Vacuum Sealer, the smaller one.

One thing is to make sure the area where you are sealing is totally clean and free of any food or moisture.

Make sure it is also wrinkle free.

Things like bread rolls and rissoles, should only be sealed when frozen. Boy didn't I make a mess of some bread rolls when I first started. If you have ever seen the demo at the shows where they use a wash up sponge you will know what I mean.

I also freeze any prepared meals before sealing that was you don't get any moisture sucking back and thereby not achieving a proper seal.

If the machine has a manual seal function then that can be used for stews etc.

I not only use mine for sealing foodstuff to prolong the life but also so that I have no meat juices etc in the bottom of my camp fridge.

One of the things I have heard mentioned by others is the resealing of potato chip bags etc. I would not recommend this as the colour used in the chip bag packaging can damage the sealing surface on the machine.

Good luck and have fun.

BTW it is cheaper to buy the rolls of sealing bags and cut them to size rather than buying the pouches.

Cheers Gypsy
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby will_deness » Thu May 01, 2008 12:15 am

Thanks GL, Troyk did explain to me about the freezing meat before sealing while we were away, I do plan to get the cheaper bags even though I got another 2 lots of sizes from the same seller. The instruction manual with the machine says cooking food in bag in boiling water isn't recommended, does anyone do it?
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Thu May 01, 2008 8:23 am

will_deness wrote:
The instruction manual with the machine says cooking food in bag in boiling water isn't recommended, does anyone do it?

I have only just recently been told about that and I asked the lady doing the vacuum sealing demo at the Tackle n Tinny show on the weekend and she did not recommend it.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby will_deness » Thu May 01, 2008 9:47 am

gypsylady wrote:
will_deness wrote:
The instruction manual with the machine says cooking food in bag in boiling water isn't recommended, does anyone do it?

I have only just recently been told about that and I asked the lady doing the vacuum sealing demo at the Tackle n Tinny show on the weekend and she did not recommend it.

Do you know if it's because of bag bursting or bag melting?
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Thu May 01, 2008 11:05 am

will_deness wrote:
Do you know if it's because of bag bursting or bag melting?

No, I am sorry Will I did not even think to go there. I was happy enough to just accept that there was some valid reason.

Now that you mention it though it would be nice to know 'why'.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby will_deness » Thu May 01, 2008 12:33 pm

I'm going to try boil-in-bag method with the water on a simmer to start with. Seems there is a style of cooking called Sous-vide which is cooking food in a sealed vacuumed bag (although at below boiling point). I dont want to cook food, just heat things like pasta sauces and soups.
P.S I think the first thing is to make sure the contents and any air can expand with the heat.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Thu May 01, 2008 1:11 pm

Let me know how you go, though I am sure you will.

My other concern could be the heat of the water changing the characteristics of the plastic and thereby contaminating the contents...
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby will_deness » Thu May 01, 2008 1:47 pm

gypsylady wrote:Let me know how you go, though I am sure you will.

My other concern could be the heat of the water changing the characteristics of the plastic and thereby contaminating the contents...

I will let you know! The bags are food grade plastic which is made specifically so people can do stupid stuff and not get poisoned.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Thu May 01, 2008 2:12 pm

Thanks Will....
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby will_deness » Fri May 02, 2008 10:39 am

Well I had my little experiment much to the objections of mrs. I started of by just simmering a bag of ice cubes in a saucepan which worked fine, I then turned the heat up just to see what happens. Once the contents start to create steam then the potential for major problems begin. We then tried, with the bag in the saucepan and a corner of bag sticking out we put a lid on the pot and snipped off a tiny bit of the corner of the bag, then turned the heat way up with absolutely no problems.which is probably the safer way, but difficult to knead the bag to make sure centre is heated. I plan to use the simmer method, so that when we take prepared meals away, we can use the water in the saucepan to heat the meal and to wash the dishes.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby mrsbanksy » Sat May 03, 2008 1:05 pm

Hi Will,

I use to work in the meat industry and all our cuts of meat full tbones and rib fillets all those cuts were cryovaced just on a
larger scale obviously, my point is our meat was not frozen when doing it so I'm not sure of the reasoning behind making sure meat is frozen. Then again we were doing large cuts of meat on a commercial cryovac maybe its down to the quality of the bags as obviously our's were commercial quality. The meat was sealed unfrozen then sent to overseas's as all would know you cant freeze meat then defrost then refreeze. Maybe you can drop in to your local abbotoir and offer to buy some of their bags. Liz
Is it the long weekend yet?
mrsbanksy
Boy Scout

Postby will_deness » Sat May 03, 2008 1:17 pm

These little machines are different to commercial cryovac machines. in that the commercial ones have a way of trapping the liquid that gets sucked up, whereas the little ones don't. That is why meat need to be frozen to the point that the blood/liquid doesn't get sucked through the machine
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Mon May 05, 2008 8:59 pm

will_deness wrote:Well I had my little experiment

Thanks Will, think I will just continue to use mine in the conventional manner.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby will_deness » Wed May 07, 2008 2:18 pm

gypsylady wrote:BTW it is cheaper to buy the rolls of sealing bags and cut them to size rather than buying the pouches.

What's a good price for the rolls?
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Next

Return to Gear Guide