Mungo Brush specifics

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Mungo Brush specifics

Postby archon » Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:45 pm

Well I've just decided I would like to go camping for the first time since cadets, and quickly found this site and a couple of threads that seem to very strongly recommend Mungo Brush. But I have a few specific questions that I haven't found answers to, so I was hoping someone who had been there could tell me how it measures up against my ideal camping spot.

My ideal camping spot would , in order of importance...
1. Be accessible by motorbike. ROAD bike. A bit of dirt road is fine, but no bush bashing or trail riding. I have no car, only a bike.
2. have nobody within a few hundred meters at least. Certainly not one of those tent cities that I have seen during travels along the coast. I would prefer to see nobody other than those I was camping with for the entire time.
3. not have showers, toilets, etc, as this would seem to conflict strongly with requirement 2.
4. Involve a camp fire. (Not in a pre-built fireplace either, please).
5. Have fresh water available, so that I do not have to carry my own drinking or washing water (tough on a bike). I am, of course, quite prepared to boil water from a lake, river or stream to meet washing and drinking requirements.
6. Have some trees around (within, say, 200m). Not just dunes, dirt or scrub. This is largely required to satisfy point 4 with fallen branches etc anyway.

My goal is to have a peaceful time, not an exciting time with lots of rock climbing, hiking, rafting, etc. I would like to take a telescope, a book, some music, a bit of simple food and drink, and a good friend or three (or none!).
archon

Re: Mungo Brush specifics

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:43 pm

archon wrote:My ideal camping spot would , in order of importance...
1. Be accessible by motorbike. ROAD bike. A bit of dirt road is fine, but no bush bashing or trail riding. I have no car, only a bike.Yes, mungo meets this req, depending on what campground you chooses (there are several) some are 4x4 only, while most are tar followed by short gravel/dirt tracks
2. have nobody within a few hundred meters at least. Certainly not one of those tent cities that I have seen during travels along the coast. I would prefer to see nobody other than those I was camping with for the entire time.Depends when you go. I've been during march, and there was only my group, and an elderly couple in their Caravan. Have also been over Xmas, and between 24-26/27th, theres pretty much no one there (except my crew :mrgreen:).. but from about boxing day onward it gets pretty crowded... hence, why I leave :wink:
3. not have showers, toilets, etc, as this would seem to conflict strongly with requirement 2.No showers, but does have one of those eco-friendly dunnies
4. Involve a camp fire. (Not in a pre-built fireplace either, please).fine, BUT its a N/P, so its patrolled and no fires during fire ban, and you have to BYO firewood
5. Have fresh water available, so that I do not have to carry my own drinking or washing water (tough on a bike). I am, of course, quite prepared to boil water from a lake, river or stream to meet washing and drinking requirements.Seems to conflict with what you want in 3 buuut, you could boil water from the lake, there's a tap near the dunnies for hand washing only... i wouldn't drink it :wink:
6. Have some trees around (within, say, 200m). Not just dunes, dirt or scrub. This is largely required to satisfy point 4 with fallen branches etc anyway. Tree's are everywhere

My goal is to have a peaceful time, not an exciting time with lots of rock climbing, hiking, rafting, etc. I would like to take a telescope, a book, some music, a bit of simple food and drink, and a good friend or three (or none!).

Its quite a nice spot to relax, just pic a good time, not a public holiday or school holidays... even try going thru the week if that suits you, your bound to be the only 1 there.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby archon » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:43 pm

Thanks very much for that information.
It sounds like this is an 'established' site, whereas I think I would prefer being somewhat "in the middle of nowhere". Being there with no neighbours would be alright, but of course there'd be no way to know for sure in advance...
By my fresh water requirement I do mean only from natural sources, not taps etc. Take the billy down to the stream, sorta thing.
I also wasn't aware that you had to bring your own firewood. Is this a standing rule for all national parks? I remember going camping with my dad many years ago and IIRC we used loose wood lying around on the ground, but I was too young to be able to remember if this was in a national park or just general "crown land", or something along those lines.
archon

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:27 pm

The general guide is if its a Nat Park, no taking the wood, this is what the ranger told us when we tried :roll: . If its a state forest - anything goes Image

If you want truly secluded, you might have to just get a few topographic maps of the coastline where you want to go.

If beaches aren't important, and your in sydney, ask me about lithgow. If your in newy, ask about Mt Watagan - about 1/2 wat between sydney/newcastle. Each have very secluded spots, but water would be hardish to find. I can point you to a very secluded spot in Lithgow with a stream but I aint gunna make the directions public on here... its 'my' little spot :wink: , so PM me. There's a creek at Mt watagan too but i haven't found any secluded spots near it. Both these places have long dirt road access too so don't know if it'd suit you with your bike.

Actually, the more i think about i'd say your really pushing it to be able to find a truly secluded place, whilst still having mostly tar road up to it. If your up for a hike somewhere along the Bundeena-Otford walk might be an idea (in sydney), plenty of streams there.
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby archon » Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:41 pm

I am in Sydney, I have done a little bit of research into both of those locations, and the caves down near Goulburn / Mittagong. All sound promising in various ways.

Right now I am also looking at the area around Bateman's Bay. I've bought a state forest map of the south coast area and a camping guide (Boiling Billy publications?). I've found google earth is also of some limited use.

The tar road to a secluded area... haha yeah, that's obviously rather contradictory. Hard packed dirt is fine on a road bike, and even loose dirt is ok, just a bit tiring. Even loose gravel is doable, but it's very slow going and very tiring, and runs a fair risk of tyre puncture, which is extremely bad on a bike both for the safety and "oh great now I'm stranded" factors. I wouldn't want to have to ride along more than 10 - 15k's of nasty nasty gravel.

I wasn't sure of exactly what the rules were for camping even in state forests, so I sent the forestry service an email to confirm that yes you can just stop at some random point, go 200m away from the little dirt road you were on and plonk down a tent. That's encouraging :D

Anyway I've drifted off the posted topic of my own thread now! But thanks again for your help.
archon

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:31 pm

viewtopic.php?t=255

The road into this spot is like this:

For my campsite, its about 10ks on this type of dirt road, mostly pretty good but some potholes, then maybe another 2-3k's down a narrower dirt track. This main dirt road is fairly busy on a weekend so don't have to worry about being stranded :lol: . Then just veer of down one of the many side tracks in search of a good area. Take a topo map and head for the creeks.
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby stevo. » Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:45 pm

wow, some excellent photos there ozzy Image
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby archon » Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:52 pm

Yeah, nice piccies.
This kind of compressed dirt road is actually quite fun on a road bike :), so I will certainly go grab a map more details of the area.
archon

Return to Camping Tips and Locations