Waeco 110Litre

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Waeco 110Litre

Postby micko » Fri May 02, 2008 8:05 pm

:hello: I am looking at purchasing the latest Waeco fridge/freezer 110l does anyone out there in camping land have any valid info regarding this product good or bad? Thanks Micko & Xrissy
micko
Boy Scout

Re: Waeco 110Litre

Postby will_deness » Fri May 02, 2008 11:37 pm

micko wrote::hello: I am looking at purchasing the latest Waeco fridge/freezer 110l does anyone out there in camping land have any valid info regarding this product good or bad? Thanks Micko & Xrissy

There's two things I do know, waeco are good and 110 litres is big. Do you have sufficent power to run it? even tho it uses 3.2 amps per hr, that is a average figure and when it's under load it sucks a lot more amps.
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby micko » Sat May 03, 2008 6:50 pm

Thanks for your valid information. Another question I have for you is in reply to your question. I intend purchasing a Waeco CoolPower Raps 36 battery pack and the coolpower fridge power kit. I will have this installed by a auto lec so will ask him whether the car battery is also suitable for the fridge we are buying. Your suggestion please there are only the two of us so would an 80 litre be big enough. We will only be doing weekend camping and holidays once a year for 3 weeks. Thanks mate appreciate your response. Regards Micko & Xrissy :P
micko
Boy Scout

Postby neil_cricket » Sat May 03, 2008 9:18 pm

Mate
80 is way big enough. Because you really only need to keep meat in their and some drinks. With the drinks you can always top up when getting low.
We survived on a 40lt fridge with 4 people, all we did was keep the meat in their and some drinks.
neil_cricket
Boy Scout

Postby sads » Sun May 04, 2008 12:01 am

That coolpower 36 will last no more than 10 hours if that 3.2 Amp current draw estimate is correct.

I'd suggest going the 50 or 60 litre fridge if you were using the coolpower 36, and a dual battery sytem for your vehicle on top of this would be very handy.

All depends how long you are in one spot for. Also temp running fridge/freezer at, and outside temp will be big factors in how hard your fridge works.
sads

Postby will_deness » Sun May 04, 2008 1:28 am

micko wrote:Thanks for your valid information. Another question I have for you is in reply to your question. I intend purchasing a Waeco CoolPower Raps 36 battery pack and the coolpower fridge power kit. I will have this installed by a auto lec so will ask him whether the car battery is also suitable for the fridge we are buying. Your suggestion please there are only the two of us so would an 80 litre be big enough. We will only be doing weekend camping and holidays once a year for 3 weeks. Thanks mate appreciate your response. Regards Micko & Xrissy :P

We have a 50 litre and we use it all the time instead of a esky even when we go out just for a day somewhere, because it is esky size it fits in the car nicely. the 60ltr has the same footprint but is about a 100mm higher and it draws about the same power. Drinks take up the most space, but being a proper frig you can restock with hot drinks on a daily basis.My opinion is, The more you use something the more you get your moneys worth, it would be nice to have a huge frig ,but would it be too big to be used regularly? Whichever way you go you will find a waeco(or engel) a good investment.
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Komodo » Mon May 05, 2008 5:42 pm

WHOOOA 110L is massive.

I have a CF-80 and its HUGE for two of us - infact possibly too big cause some stuff gets "lost" down the bottom.
I've been away with out restocking for over a week and still had stuff in the fridge/freezer fresh and ready to eat.
The biggest thing for people with fridges is to try stick all their beers in the fridge - this is pretty much a waste. For a start beers always taste better off ice so if your taking a few tinnies take a small esky with some ice - it'll work better for you.
If you're not taking too many beverages then sure stick them in the fridge - but remember cans stack in the fridge far better - they dont break so less chance of injury to a fellow camper or wildlife and they crush down to a compact size to take back with you.
Keep your fridge dry on the inside - if something spills clean it asap! you'd be amazed at how much damage mould will do to your fridge seals!
Remember that your fridge is running off a limited power supply - try to conserve energy - transit bags are a great way and keep the fridge closed at much as possible. try to get everything you need out at once and put it all back at once rather than opening and closing the door several times.

In all honesty I think the CF50 or 60 is the best size and thats what I would probably get if I had my time over.
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby micko » Mon May 05, 2008 6:18 pm

thanks for the advice mate think you might be right about the 110 being to big, can you tell me what power supply you run your cf 80 off and how long it runs for, and any other information anyone can give would be great also. we dont have a aux battery in the ute, was thinking about a 3 way fridge but dont know what size they come in or how good they are, thanks again for any help
micko
Boy Scout

Postby will_deness » Mon May 05, 2008 7:40 pm

Scroll down this thread viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2437
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Mon May 05, 2008 8:55 pm

Anyone looking to run a 12 volt fridge using battery power should look at deep cycle batteries as the power source.

You should also look at the alternatives for renewing the energy used. Deep cycles batteries should not ever be run so low as to flatten them.

This is the reason why so many people choose 3 way fridges, it is definitely a cheaper option.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Mon May 05, 2008 9:00 pm

Dual batts and a proper fridge are the go if you can afford them. 3 way's are a big compromise IMO. Would rather an ice box myself.

But I've got a huuuuuuuuuuge battery in my 4x4 and have run the fridge off it for 2 day's straight without charging, then start the car the next morning. During summer I leave it on 24/7 cause it charges when I drive to work and the weekends is the only time the batteries really getting drained :armsup Granted its only a 30L but it does me fine
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Malcur » Mon May 05, 2008 10:04 pm

I have a battery which is 460 CCA, which by my calcs is about 60 AH. I run a 55 litre Evakool with that and it will run for about 30-40 hrs before the battery gets too low. Size of the fridge is fine. What we do is put 1 litre water bottles in the fridge to freeze, then transfer them to the esky. As they defrost we either drink the cold water or put them back into the fridge to freeze again, swapping more frozen bottles into the esky. We have just bought an 80 litre esky (also an Evakool) which will retain its temp better than the cheapie job we had had in the past.

Mal
Camper Trailer owner!!
Malcur
Captain Camping

Postby Komodo » Tue May 06, 2008 3:05 pm

I have 2 x 100ah deep cycles - though only one is currently in the 'trol.
I get around 1.5 days out of the 100ah battery. Mind you I run the fridge flat out as cold as it'll go.

I'm going to add solar as soon as the bank balance recovers a bit from buying a house.
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby will_deness » Tue May 06, 2008 4:17 pm

I get a long weekend on the car battery with my 50l, and usually go for some sort of drive also so I have never not been able to run the frig.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby campinggirl » Tue May 06, 2008 5:16 pm

Just some facts on the waeco cf-110ac
Weight:32kg
capacity:106 L
power source:12/24 volts and 240 volts
Cooling capacity: up to 50c below ambient
Insulation: 50mm solid polyurethane foam
Kompressor: german made danfoss bd-50f

average power consumption= 2.1 amps/hour @12v,5c interior, 32c ambient temperature

waeco is very popular but I love the evakool 110 lt check out there website
http://www.evakool.com/
Love Camping girl xox

www.camperland.com.au
http://www.camping-r-us.com.au
campinggirl

Next

Return to Gear Guide