Left or Right ?

General Discussion, tips and questions and answer on Camper Trailers. Buy and sell below in Vehicles for Sale.

Left or Right ?

Postby Roger Bacon » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:28 pm

Hey gang, would like opinions on whether to set up my camper trailer that I am getting building with the canvas folding out to the left, or the right ( looking from the back of the trailer). What is the advantages of either.

Cheers

Roger Bacon
Roger Bacon

Postby Komodo » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:58 pm

To the left is more common. Dont know why though...
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Troyk » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:33 pm

Mine flips out to the right which is the against the norm. The advantage is when you setup on a carvan park site, you put the trailer on the concrete slab near the front (drawbar towards the front) and the tent folds out onto the grass area where you would put the caravan. The kitchen is then over the concrete.

And the problem is that some of the CP's I encountered out west, where there is a lack of grass they put gravel down where the van goes. Had to turn the CT around. So it doesn't always work. Personally not a big CP fan.

It depends on where you are planning to go. If its just an open camping grounds doesn't really matter.

Hope that didn't confuse you. :)
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby Scolers » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:38 pm

Mine's to the left (not the Jayco ... the CT) ... don't know why tho' ... just worked out that way ... :armsup

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Komodo » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:49 pm

he who dies with the most toys hey scol'?
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Scolers » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:09 pm

Komodo wrote:he who dies with the most toys hey scol'?

ABSOLUTELY!!!

Actually we're geting the smaller CT ready for sale ... not that there's anything wrong with it ... just need a mob of pics so when people ask what can be done with it we have the pics to show.

:?#

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Roger Bacon » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:02 am

Troyk wrote:Mine flips out to the right which is the against the norm. The advantage is when you setup on a carvan park site, you put the trailer on the concrete slab near the front (drawbar towards the front) and the tent folds out onto the grass area where you would put the caravan. The kitchen is then over the concrete.

And the problem is that some of the CP's I encountered out west, where there is a lack of grass they put gravel down where the van goes. Had to turn the CT around. So it doesn't always work. Personally not a big CP fan.

It depends on where you are planning to go. If its just an open camping grounds doesn't really matter.

Hope that didn't confuse you. :)

What your saying makes sense. Right might be the way to go just to keep the easier CP option up my sleeve. As you said though, left is usually the norm though, I just thought there must have been a reason for this :?

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.
Roger Bacon

Re: Left or Right ?

Postby Vega » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:30 pm

Mine opens out to the right....Another reason why I like it this way....

If your travelling and you need to get into the trailer you do it from the kurb side not the road.

Also if your have water tap on the side it will be out the kurb side aswell
Vega

Postby Malcur » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:27 pm

Mine opens to the left. The advantage for me is that when at home I park it in the front yard against the fence, and I can flip open the tent where it stands, allowing easy access to pack, or when working on the CT. I don't have access to move the CT into the backyard.

Mal
Camper Trailer owner!!
Malcur
Captain Camping

Postby Malcur » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:30 pm

Almost forgot....Opening from the left also means that the tailgate hinges on the right, which means I can get to the tailgate kitchen from the kerb. :+

Mal
Camper Trailer owner!!
Malcur
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:23 pm

Malcur wrote:Almost forgot....Opening from the left also means that the tailgate hinges on the right, which means I can get to the tailgate kitchen from the kerb. :+

Mal

It is my understanding that this is why they do open out to the left. Also when parked on the side of the road etc it is the off side.

If you look at most cars with one read side opening door you will see they open that way too.

I think it has only been in more recent times that some CT manufacturers have gone the other way but most if not all of the well know brands follow what is considered the 'norm'.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Troyk » Sun May 11, 2008 1:48 pm

This was discussed on another forum and there seemed to be no real reason why left is adopted more, or why one side is better than other, though each have their advantages.

We have a right model (which I would like to state is a well known brand) and one other advantage is that you can flip the lid from the kerb. The outside water tap is also kerbside. We rarely have opned our kitchen when travelling, put if we do, we would pull off the road into a park and not attempt it on the side of the road.

At the end of the day you probalby pick you CT for other reasons (I know we did) that which side it flips.

My 5 cents worth. :grin:
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby will_deness » Sun May 11, 2008 2:11 pm

Troyk wrote: We rarely have opned our kitchen when travelling, put if we do, we would pull off the road into a park and not attempt it on the side of the road.

That is so right, who would stop and open up any part of a camper on the side of the road when there is always somewhere to get of the road and have a bit of room to move.
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Return to Camper Trailers