Golstream vs coromal offroad (pioneer pack)

General Discussion, tips and questions and answer on Camper Trailers. Buy and sell below in Vehicles for Sale.

Golstream vs coromal offroad (pioneer pack)

Postby Wilko » Fri May 09, 2008 10:14 pm

Hi All

The missus and I have decided to upgrade to a pop top camper. We have narrowed it down to the Kratzman Goldstream or the Coromal Silohette (pioneer pack). We have viewed both and like features on both.

I would appreciaye any opinions if you own one or have owned one of the above.

thxs all
Wilko
Boy Scout

Re: Golstream vs coromal offroad (pioneer pack)

Postby HGMonaro » Mon May 12, 2008 12:33 pm

Hi,

We have a Goldstream. We looked at the Coromal but were worried about the long term reliability of the slide out kitchen. Heard some bad stories about it but also met someone with one (after we'd bought ours) who hadn't had any problems. Both are built and finished better than the equivalent Jayco's but you do pay for it.

You don't mention if you've got kids to accomodate?? Why have you decided on a wind-up?

Nige.
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby Wilko » Mon May 12, 2008 8:45 pm

thx HG

Yeah we have small kids and just sick and tired of setting up the old camper trailer, hence the decision to go to the camper.
We have found a new goldstream soverign (2007 run out) that has the duel gas bottles, battery pack, bed flys and awning. Best price i got it for is 26,400. what do you think?

How do you find your goldstream overall? I like it but doesnt seem to have much cupboard space as the coramol though
Wilko
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Tue May 13, 2008 8:54 am

I have friends who have had the Coromal Pioneer for about 5 years and have not had any issues with it at all.

They are very happy with it.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby will_deness » Tue May 13, 2008 10:30 am

In my opinion the coromal is a better built unit!
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby HGMonaro » Tue May 13, 2008 11:44 am

That seems to be an excellent price. Our Wing 3 with similar options was dearer over 12mths ago!

I would think storage would be similar in both, although from memory the Coromal has the battery (or is it the gas bottle?) in the camper (where ours is on the drawbar) which would use up a bit of space. We fitted several dividing walls and a set of shelves into the storage areas to make it more usable. I have a webpage with pics somewhere but will need to find it from home tonight to give you a link (I can't find it via google, or the post I made in reply to the initial question about it that prompted me take the photos!)

We took ours on a 1/2 lap ( http://www.nlandgl.com/roundOz is our travel diary if you want a look) and it functioned well. Had a problem with the winch which I believe was caused by corrugations (1st 20-30km of Merennie Loop rd from Kings Canyon is seriously rough). The nuts holding the winch in place must have come loose, so if you buy it, I suggest 'double nutting' those (or fit nyloc nuts). It's hard to get at but much better to do at home than try to fix on holiday.

Cheers, Nige
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby Wilko » Tue May 13, 2008 6:19 pm

Hi Nigel,

Read your post and checked out your trip website (sounds great!). We are looking at doing a big trip in the next couple of years.

Interested to read some issues on the camper and seemed to stand up ok. I take it you're happy with it. Even the prado as I'm getting one for work in a few months.
Wilko
Boy Scout

Postby HGMonaro » Wed May 14, 2008 9:17 am

here's the page on the modifications we made (might be formatted a bit weird on a widescreen monitor)

http://users.tpg.com.au/nlandgl/camperm ... rmods.html

Overall, we are happy with it. Had a few little problems (plus the winch which was a big problem, thankfully my father in law is a farmer and can fix anything!) but structuraly it's still 100%. After 100 nights and 21,000 K which included some very rough roads, it's still looks (and smells!) like new.

I took it back to Goldstream to get the winch rechecked and they decided to replace it and repaired the hole we cut to get at the winch. They fixed the 12V outlet which they thought must have been done by the dealer as they agreed with me that it would never have worked how it was wired up and they had no documentation about it. They also fixed the fridge surround which I'd broken myself without being asked (they actually had to order in the part). Customer service at the factory (we're about 45mins away) was very good.

Cheers, Nige

P.S. If you're getting a Prado, you might be interested in this page http://users.tpg.com.au/nlandgl/supermu ... dflap.html

P.P.S. If you get your Prado, there's a great Prado website http://www.pradopoint.com
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby Wilko » Wed May 14, 2008 1:54 pm

Thanks mate

Very nice mods. One question you may be able to answer for me. Does your van charge the battery when hooked to mains power? does the battery pack come with a smart charger?

Mark
Wilko
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Wed May 14, 2008 2:38 pm

Wilko wrote: Does your van charge the battery when hooked to mains power? does the battery pack come with a smart charger?

Mark

That is definitely the way to go Mark. I have my CT set up like so and even if I go onto power I just plug in and it all runs through the smart charger, sometimes called a 3 way charger.

I then continue to run everything on 12 volt as per normal.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby HGMonaro » Wed May 14, 2008 2:47 pm

yep, works as gypsylady says. On the campermod page, you can see it in the 2nd last pic (external access hatch view).

If you plug in 240V it starts charging the battery and you can flick the fridge to AC, use powerpoints/microwave. Lighting (and our tap pump if not connected to mains water) still operates off 12V.

Nige.
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Wed May 14, 2008 2:54 pm

I just had a look at the pics of your mods HGM and I must congratulate you on one very tidy (good) job. Bravo:-))
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Wilko » Wed May 14, 2008 3:19 pm

cool. so that is part of the battery pack option or you had to add the smart charger later
Wilko
Boy Scout

Postby HGMonaro » Wed May 14, 2008 8:28 pm

I don't know if it's part of the battery pack as such but it was already installed (it's visible in the 2nd last photo). Campers without batteries might still have some convertor for the lighting, but it may not be the same one. Didn't ask this so I'm just guessing really.
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Thu May 15, 2008 8:28 am

Wilko wrote:cool. so that is part of the battery pack option or you had to add the smart charger later

Might be something you have to check with Goldstream Wilko.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Return to Camper Trailers