Travelling the Country with Kids!!

Come on in and tell us a little bit about yourself, your community, opinions, interests and ideas. Comments and tips are always welcome consider this social networking for the rest of us.

Postby Erin » Tue May 20, 2008 2:26 pm

Hi there - just stumbled on this forum - great topics!! We are going to embark on a 6 month round Oz trip in April next year and we are beginning our planning now. I would love to hear from anyone with advice and/or ideas ....our boys will be 12, 9 and 6. We are towing a van so we can plant ourselves somewhere and explore, so would love ideas on Caravan Parks and National Parks etc. We have been talking about it for about five years and are very excited that we can finally go, but I'm aware that it won't be easy so the more advice from those who have been there, the better!! Thanks, Erinhttp://forum.camping.com.au/posting ... post&f=65#
:grin:
Erin

Re: Travelling the Country with Kids!!

Postby Ricklanga » Tue May 20, 2008 8:06 pm

:hello: Good on you. I have three young kids myself and would love to do the same thing some day. A cousin of mine did it with his family a while back and a absolutely loved it. His wife schooled their kids by corrospondance which apperently was not difficult. They went for 6 months also. Would be great if you could post the occasional report when you go & pics to. :+
It always rains on tents. Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds for the opportunity to rain on a tent.
Ricklanga
Post Machine!

Postby GypsyLady » Wed May 21, 2008 9:26 am

Hi Erin and WELCOME to the forum.

My first recommendation is to purchase a Camps Aust 4 book. And I recommend that you purchase it from RACQ/RACV/NRMA or the like if you are a member and that way you will get it at a discounted price. I have friends who live 'on the road' permanently and this book is their bible.

The more 'free' camping you can do the better it will be for you cost wise and the more you will see of this wonderful country that we live in. The people you will meet in these free camping areas will be vastly different to the people (tourists) you will meet in CPs.

I also suggest that you get each of the children a journal and get them to write of their adventures as they go. The 6 year old might also like to have one and draw pictures instead of writing.

If you can manage a laptop then I suggest that you get the 2 older ones digital cameras to record their adventures. (maybe they could each receive one in their xmas stocking). Not sure about the 6 year old but maybe it could be a possibility for him also, this is something that you would know.

I mention the laptop so that you can download the pics from the cameras as you go.

You are on the eve of a wonderful adventure Erin and your children will take the memories of this into adulthood and beyond.

Cheers Gypsy.....
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Erin » Wed May 21, 2008 12:49 pm

Thank you so much for the comments and advice and i will be sure to purchase the Camps Aust book! We will keep you posted on our planning journey and the trip itself! Love the idea about the cameras - great idea for Christmas this year.

Thanks again,

Erin :+
Erin

Postby GypsyLady » Wed May 21, 2008 12:55 pm

You are most welcome Erin, the planning is often as enjoyable as the trip itself.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Return to Introductions: