Camp Beds - What type - I have 3 types

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Camp Beds - What type - I have 3 types

Postby Tanks1966 » Mon May 19, 2008 5:41 pm

Hi, now that Im in my 40's I feel Ive had enough of blow up matresses on the ground. My last outing cought me out with wet bedding due to some torential rain. I want to be off the ground permanantley and have come accross 3 types of bedding.

My question to fellow campers is
1: Has anyone used them?
2. If yes what are your thoughts on them.

Any other input / suggestions would be appreciated

III probably only buy 2 - one for me and one for the wife, the kids are feral and can use the airmnatresses until we buy a camper trailer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tanks1966
Boy Scout

Re: Camp Beds - What type - I have 3 types

Postby Beau » Mon May 19, 2008 11:16 pm

Hey mate, I take it you like to use a floorless tent? I am the same in my Lavvu I prefer having no floor, I use a simple X leg army style bed for that very strong and sturdy, but it's not as fancy looking or probably as light weight as those ones you have in the pics, they look great. I may have to upgrade looking at those pics! :oops:

They are a great thing to have either in floorless shelters or floored tents for just that reason you stated no wet bedding if it downpours and you get run off through the tent, or water logged floors that end up in puddles.

If you are tall, try and find ones without the top and botton cross bars nothing worse than banging your head and feet on the bars when you change sleeping positions.

The most important thing is comfort, go to the store and try before you buy, some people prefer the feel of canvas beds, others prefer air tops etc.

But over all I think they are better than a straight closed cell foamy or air bed on the ground IMO.
We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home, in towns and cities. -Nessmuk
Beau
Camping King

Postby ChallengeLee » Mon May 19, 2008 11:45 pm

I have one of the inflatable portable beds(double) and think it is one of the best things since sliced bread. I too bought it so that l was off the ground. I have found it to be quite comfortable, easy to put up and down, and with the right buffer between you and the air mattress itself, a very warm and cosy sleep.

I do tend to use mine when l go for longer stays or l just take out the air bed and use it for shorter stays or overnighters or when space is a little confined.
ChallengeLee
Camping Veteran

Postby Tanks1966 » Tue May 20, 2008 8:02 am

Thanks for the replies, I have a plastic floor Beau, but the tent I used has seen better days and on one particular night water came through and puddled on the pvc floor and saturated my airbed and s/bag. I have tried them at Rays and BCF and they are comfy.
Thanks challengelee, I think III go for the single airmattress one. The wife for some reason gets up regularly at night to visit the loo and it drives me crazy.

Thanks again

Cheers
Tom
Tanks1966
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Tue May 20, 2008 1:16 pm

My elderly mum who often comes camping with me has the Kmart version of the first one. I ditched the air mattress and replaced it with an Oztrail self inflating mattress.

She has her own tent (DMH Omeo 4) which has an attached floor and I put down a large cotton mat to protect the floor from the bed feet. It provides the added bonus of insulation as well.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby freerocketman1 » Tue May 20, 2008 8:54 pm

i like the 3rd pick it looks like it is quite strong & light, 2nd one ummm not so sure about,ist one yes are very comfy but if any of the plastic joiners brake you cant get replacement parts,if you are buying from a camp store check if they sell any replacemet parts first as some of these beds do cost a bit.
freerocketman1
Blatant Padder

Postby Tanks1966 » Wed May 21, 2008 7:58 am

freerocketman1 wrote:i like the 3rd pick it looks like it is quite strong & light, 2nd one ummm not so sure about,ist one yes are very comfy but if any of the plastic joiners brake you cant get replacement parts,if you are buying from a camp store check if they sell any replacemet parts first as some of these beds do cost a bit.

Thanks Rocket, I didnt thnk of the plastic replacement parts. My 100kg frame is going to test the living daylights out of them in the stores I can tell you that. If it passes my test for durability and comfort III be buying one of the above.

Again thanks to you and others for taking time to respond to my question.

have a nice day
Tanks1966
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Wed May 21, 2008 8:16 am

Also check it for tipping when sitting on the side of it when you are getting out of bed. I found when looking for a bed for mum that many of them tipped and the last thing I wanted was for her to end up on the ground.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Blue Bravo » Thu May 22, 2008 4:45 pm

We found the first type to be noisy (needs a liner between mattress and stretcher) and cold. Would be ok in summer and quite comfortable otherwise.

Not been up close to the other 2 but they seem to be better built and should perform better thrmally. Also notice that number 3 has adjustable legs which could come in handy as not all sites are perfectly level
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Thu May 22, 2008 6:45 pm

Blue Bravo wrote:We found the first type to be noisy (needs a liner between mattress and stretcher) and cold. Would be ok in summer and quite comfortable otherwise.

That was another reason for my replacing the original air mattress with a self inflater BB.

Cheers...
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Return to Gear Guide