Canvas tents.

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Canvas tents.

Postby missymoo » Mon May 26, 2008 12:27 pm

Probably asked a million times before.

But I looked back through the threads and any that were relevant were pretty old.

SO

My family and I want a large canvas tent. We like the look of the oztrail 12x15 canvas tent.

We however have no idea of good or bad brands.

So could somebody list the brands of canvas cabin style tents that are good (no matter what price) and also ones to avoid if possible.

I've googled but of course every company says their tent is the best.

Thanks
missymoo

Re: Canvas tents.

Postby Teabag » Mon May 26, 2008 7:45 pm

The quality of Canvas tents is easy to identify and the two general indicators are the quality/grade of canvas used and the type of flooring used. We have a Southern Cross centre pole touring tent which isn't cheap but is worth every cent in inclement weather. IMO, if the touring tent uses tarp type flooring then it isn't up to the grade of bad weather and nobody want a wet bed......

2006 GU4 4.2TDi Patrol with 2005 Limited Edition Kimberley Kamper and plenty of goodies.

http://www.4wdmonthly.com.au/shed/index.php?id=1003
Teabag
Captain Camping

Postby Tanks1966 » Tue May 27, 2008 8:09 am

I just sold a 12x15 oztrail canvas tent and couldnt be happier with them. The only reason I sold my tent was that it was too big and heavy for 3 or so days. I only buy canvas tents that have at leat 12oz canvas. I would stear clear of any cheapo's you see. I still have a 1 room cougar tent (dont know if they make them anymore) that was made in 1985 and its still great. I agree with teabag, southern cross tents are awesome.
Make sure the flooring is a heavy duty PVC base.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tanks1966
Boy Scout

Postby garbage » Tue May 27, 2008 5:38 pm

Oztrail don't use 12oz canvas though, do they?
garbage
Camping Veteran

Postby missymoo » Wed May 28, 2008 11:08 am

So how long did i take you to put your oztrail up and down? We will be only going away for w'ends and have had a dome tent up until now.

Also do Southern Cross actually do family size tents? I looked at their homepage and all the tents are like the one teabag showed us a photo of.
missymoo

Postby Tanks1966 » Wed May 28, 2008 11:31 am

garbage wrote:Oztrail don't use 12oz canvas though, do they?

I purhased mine i 2005 and it stated it was 12oz. Its a great tent unfortunatley its sold now and I have to stick to my 20 yo cougar from now on
Tanks1966
Boy Scout

Postby Tanks1966 » Wed May 28, 2008 11:38 am

missymoo wrote:So how long did i take you to put your oztrail up and down? We will be only going away for w'ends and have had a dome tent up until now.

Also do Southern Cross actually do family size tents? I looked at their homepage and all the tents are like the one teabag showed us a photo of.

If your family consists of 2 adults and 2 kids a 12x9 cabin tent would be sufficient.
My goliath took about 25 minutes to set up and it takes 2 people to do it.
All the new one room cabin tents come with an optional awning for your annexe now if your worried about storage.
as for teabags tent I cant recall if they have large family size tents.
Keep in mind, the large 12x15 oztrail tent weighs over 70 kg and takes up alot of room. Its not worth it if your going away just for 2 or 3 days. Its good for 7 or more though.
Hope it helped
Tanks1966
Boy Scout

Postby Komodo » Wed May 28, 2008 12:40 pm

Teabag with the SC tourer do you use it much now that you have the camper?

Im asking this as I dont know if I should upgrade to a good tourer when the long term plan is to buy a camper trailer

Also did you by any chance compare the southern cross tourers to the freedom tourers?
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby missymoo » Wed May 28, 2008 1:06 pm

Can I be naive and ask why we wouldn't want to take it for a w'end? If it only takes half an hour to put up it is equivalent to our dome at the moment. What is it about the weight? We aren't hiking in and park our car/trailer right beside the camp sight.

Or is that a really naive question?

We have 2 adults and 3 kids plus all the junk that goes with 3 toddlers. I really like the idea of a big canvis tent!
missymoo

Postby Tanks1966 » Wed May 28, 2008 2:25 pm

missymoo wrote:Can I be naive and ask why we wouldn't want to take it for a w'end? If it only takes half an hour to put up it is equivalent to our dome at the moment. What is it about the weight? We aren't hiking in and park our car/trailer right beside the camp sight.

Or is that a really naive question?

We have 2 adults and 3 kids plus all the junk that goes with 3 toddlers. I really like the idea of a big canvis tent!

If you use a trailer and dont mind the weight of it then go for the 12x15. It takes me half an hour with 25 years of experience and help. I found it takes even longer to pack

I have a 1 room Cougar cabin tent and 4 (2adults 1 kid and a porta cot) of us were comfortable in it the last trip to Murrandinid National Park. I also have good shelter for my other junk.
I got rid of the big one as it It was taking up alot of room in the shed. Im tending to go for a camper trailer also now.
You also will never be able to put it back in the bag that it came from. I just rolled it up and fastened it with rope.
Having said that, If weight isnt an issue, I recomend it highly. Make sure as I did, get proper guide ropes and pegs, all tents seem to come with the minimum requirement now and I just went out and bought 300 mm pegs and made my own guide ropes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tanks1966
Boy Scout

Postby Teabag » Wed May 28, 2008 5:46 pm

Komodo wrote:Teabag with the SC tourer do you use it much now that you have the camper?

Im asking this as I dont know if I should upgrade to a good tourer when the long term plan is to buy a camper trailer

Also did you by any chance compare the southern cross tourers to the freedom tourers?

I use it only when I go away myself as when the family comes it is easier and more comfortable with the Kimberley Kamper. Yes, I did compare both SC and Freedom and in my opinion SC was better. It had better canvas and the sewing workmanship on the SC was faultless IMO though both are good.....
2006 GU4 4.2TDi Patrol with 2005 Limited Edition Kimberley Kamper and plenty of goodies.

http://www.4wdmonthly.com.au/shed/index.php?id=1003
Teabag
Captain Camping

Postby Pebble » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:23 pm

I've looked into tents recently, would have been between BlackWolf, OzTent, Freedom and Southern Cross for the pricey ones, but we probably would have gone for Primus or OzTrail for our use. In the end we indeed found they were pretty heavy and bulky so ended up going for a couple of 3 man hiking tents, and I'm very happy as it takes about 15min ea to set up, and inside it's nice and cosy!
Pebble

Return to Gear Guide