your favorite place ever

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

your favorite place ever

Postby stepka » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:05 am

Hi folks, We are coming from the US in mid October and hope to spend about 3 months camping in Oz. We'll fly into Brisbane and buy a used 2WD car, then aimlessly drive around. Well, maybe not too aimless--we hope to see the Barrier Reef, the Eastern rainforest of Qld, the Blue Mtns, Wilson's Prom, Melbourne, and Tasmania, and the Great Ocean Rd. We will probably fly out of Melbourne to NZ at the end of that 3 months. I am looking for suggestions of your all time favorite Natl Park, camping ground, hiking route, etc. It can be really well known, not so well known, best kept secret, historical town, etc. I would really appreciate this, as sometimes the guidebooks miss the really good stuff, esp the lesser known hiking tracks and the great camp spots. I am already starting to marvel at the vastness of the distances, and some places we wanted to see are going to have to drop off the itinerary!
stepka
Boy Scout

Postby Jock » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:59 am

Hey don't be to daunted by the distances involved. I drove to cairns in a day and a half from brisbane. 1800kms (1200 miles) But i was tired at the end of it.

My absolute favourite places of all time are Fraser island and moreton island.

I'll write more about them when I get home tonight. These are two places that you cannot miss seeing when you come. Absolutly magnificent.

Jock
Trouble maker ;-)
Jock
Boy Scout

Postby Scolers » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:33 pm

From what you've said you are sticking to the East coast ... so no need to mention my fav spots over here in W.A. ... :wink:

8)

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby stepka » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:58 pm

From what you've said you are sticking to the East coast ... so no need to mention my fav spots over here in W.A. ...

Well, that's not really set in stone--we're keeping it loose, so bring it on. I guess I'm worried that we may not have enough time to get over there.

I checked out Fraser and Moreton Islands and those look great.
stepka
Boy Scout

Postby familybus » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:43 pm

2 places that come to mind in sydney are Minto and Maquarie feilds! :lol:

only kidding! anywhere behind blue mountains is nice!
familybus
Boy Scout

Postby Jock » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:39 pm

Fraser Isalnd is 90 kms long has a beautiful Rainforest in the middle at a place called central station. But you don't want to camp there. Too many tourists :wink: I mean thats where all the young backpackers go and they take away from the serenity a bit.

You can drive doww the surf side and see no one. Drive along 90kms of white sandy beach and its great just to look for a camp site in the dunes. You can camp overnight and fall asleep listening to the sound of the waves crashing into the shore.

Moreton island has wild dolphin feeding too. You can stay at Tangalooma resort and you can come down and feed them at night. Absolutly magnificent white beaches cool green water ( that clear the sand just makes the wtaer look very pale green.) you scuba dive or snorkel on the artificail reef just up from the resort or campsite. And this island is only 1 hours boat ride away from brisbane ( or two hour barge trip)

MORETON ISLAND

http://www.tangalooma.com/

http://www.moreton-island.com/

FRASER ISLAND

http://www.seefraserisland.com/

http://www.fraserisland.net/

And don't forget you can go Whale watching too. from either island :D

These are my absolute favourite places to go. I don't get there very often because of work but I love going there.
Trouble maker ;-)
Jock
Boy Scout

Postby Cheiffy » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:14 pm

[quote="familybus"]2 places that come to mind in sydney are Minto and Maquarie feilds! :lol:

Cmon family bus, old Ingleburn is worth a visit too. The beanie shell, the mittigation as well as Aero Hill. You would be mad if you missed it. LOL

Cheiffy
Please sir, Can I have some more? Time off that is.

"Hard at it"
Fruit Bat Falls, Cape York
Cheiffy
Captain Camping

Postby Scolers » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:18 pm

Thanks for the tip guys ... I might go to the Visitor Info. Centre at Maquarie Fields ... I hear the police are friendly over that way too ... :)

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby stepka » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:50 pm

2 places that come to mind in sydney are Minto and Maquarie feilds!
Must be an insider joke :?
stepka
Boy Scout

Pt Plomer

Postby Gary's Family » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:50 pm

A must see on the East Coast of NSW is Pt Plomer. Turn off at Kempsey and head Sth, it is a dirt road, but suitable for 2wd. Grassy camping areas, right on the beach. Best spot I have ever camped at. Avoid school holidays though. My reccomendation would be to grab your map and when you drive down the East Coast of NSW, just head east off to the national parks on the coast as they appear on your map. Most of the coastal national parks are accessible to 2wd.

Gary
Gary's Family
Camping King

Postby familybus » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:33 pm

Cheiffy wrote:
familybus wrote:2 places that come to mind in sydney are Minto and Maquarie feilds! :lol:

Cmon family bus, old Ingleburn is worth a visit too. The beanie shell, the mittigation as well as Aero Hill. You would be mad if you missed it. LOL

Cheiffy

scary! i might know you, use to bum around the mittagation, climb the binni shell and slide down aero hill on cardboard as a kid! :?#
familybus
Boy Scout

Postby Kramer » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:33 am

What about the "Great Ocean Road" Its one of my must do sites one day! :armsup
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby amanda » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:27 am

I'd say the Great Ocean Road would have to be a "must". Only this week it was awarded the most scenic road trip of Australia - easy to see why.
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby sharkboy » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:58 am

You guy's are forgeting Blacktown and Mt Druitt :***
sharkboy

Return to Camping Tips and Locations