BCF/Anaconda vs local camping store

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

BCF/Anaconda vs local camping store

Postby amanda » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:18 am

I have been a loyal customer of our local camping store for 20 years or more, but recently visited a new Anaconda store 45 minutes away as everyone had been telling me how much cheaper everthing was, and of course how big the range was. I have to agree that the range was huge, but as for the prices, my little local store matched them in most things.

Anyone have an opinion on these megastores compared to the small local stores?
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Kramer » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:00 pm

I would rather shop at your local store, firstly they will most probably know you and some/most of the products you have bought over the years and will be able to help you choose other items to match your needs. Secondly the big mega stores are there for huge profit and profit only, they buy the same products as the little store but at greatly reduced prices so they make a big profit.
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Camping Shop

Postby Activity_Dept » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:40 pm

I best be careful to weight into this debate as we are hoping to get one of the camping shops to sponsor this forum/site. :?

I owned a camping shop for a couple of years, we stocked 5,000 + items some turned over well others may as well of been fixtures. I agree that certain items need a large range i.e. tents however some products are pretty straight forward and how many choices do you need I mean this is camping not mountain climbing. :roll:

So variety of camping products has its limitations but as you expand into other fields i.e. mountain climbing, boating etc. you generally need to expand the range. I think this is the target of the National chains is they are looking more to outdoor adventure then camping and disposal. Price is a tricky one no one wants to start a price war so I think you will see some discounting of certain items but generally most shops will be around the same price. But you must be careful to look for value as compared to just low prices. I think the rule of thumb was one cheep, one middle of the road and one expensive item, you must find the value within the three depending on specials and product quality. :wink:

So it depends on what you do I think BCF has a larger boating and fishing range then most camping shops and Anaconda leans more to the adventure side. :D
Activity_Dept
Site Admin

Postby Barby-Q » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:05 am

I find friendly service goes along way , we were on our way to Straddie and had time to kill waiting for a barge and called into a small camping store at Cleveland . They had a Cobbs cooker going ,the aroma filled the store and you were able to sample the food . The friendly atmosphere was great . We called in again on the return trip , they remembered us and asked how was Staddie . If we lived closer we would shop there for all our camping gear for sure.
Andy & Ange
Barby-Q
Camping Oracle

Postby Scolers » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:26 pm

It is a tricky one ... we go to a Ranger store becuase we are treated well (as per Barby Q's post) and now a BCF has opened up closer it's ahrd to choose as BCF tend to have cheaper prices and more range BUT the Ranger shop as become more of a 'local' for me.

I'm have the same dillema Amanda!

:evil:

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:55 pm

I don't have any local places near me, i live in a hole :evil: In fact, the closest camping store is Camping World, 15mins away. Or about 25mins away is a nice lil camping & disposals store. Personally i prefer the disposal type camping stores for variety, and 'bargain bins'. The big store's got all the big brands like coleman, but the disposal stores have heaps of 'cool junk' :mrgreen: ... which rates pretty highlty in my books :lol: But cause of the distances I usually only go there if I actually need something, not just to browse.

I'd stick with the lil local guy, and agree with what Activity_Dept said, the prices really dont vary too much unless its something big-ish, like tent or exxy sleeping bag. In which case I just choose what I want and ring ~5 stores for prices neway, saves hassle
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Return to General Chit-Chat