Swing out kitchen or drifta kitchen

General Discussion, tips and questions and answer on Camper Trailers. Buy and sell below in Vehicles for Sale.

Swing out kitchen or drifta kitchen

Postby shasa_pa » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:29 am

Hi!
I would like to hear your views on swing out kitchen with stove compared to drifta kitchens that slide out.
Also, what type of kitchen stove? What stoves are out there other than Primus & cast iron attached to a shelf on the tail gate? I do Realise everyone has their own preference, I would like to hear the differences people have and why.
Cheers
Shasa_pa :+
shasa_pa
Boy Scout

Re: Swing out kitchen or drifta kitchen

Postby Troyk » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:16 am

With regards to stoves we have the Spinflo 4 burner with grill underneath, fitted to the kitchen box, but not cheap around $800 to buy.
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby mr_grumble » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:17 pm

Have a Drifta pull out myself and have found the following;

:armsup Large bench /cupboard space. Usefull with youngster. Will obviously depend greatly on what you need.
:( Does take up considerable room within the trailer. Used with a drifta storage unit, what remaining space you do have can be used efficiently.
:( A tailgate version will require sturdy hinges on the trailer or else, over time they will sag and you'll find yourself lifting the tailgate into place when shutting.
:armsup We have the DPOR (I think from memory) and takes no time and little effort to extract and put away.
:( Anything Drifta is frightfully $$$, but you will be assured of the absolute best quality.
:( If it's going into a trailer with a chequerplate floor, there is a simple and cost effective mod (which I had to do) that stops the poly runners being torn away by the rough finish of the chequerplate (see Drifta website's FAQ page, they posted the solution I came up with and submitted to them).

If your looking at the occasional weekend away, the tailgate version may just be the best bet (considerably cheaper), but if you are looking at longer stays, a bit more creature comfort, and especially helpful with kids I would suggest the extra $$ is well spent, my wife is a convert from hating camping to being happy to go now she has a fully equiped kitchen in tow :cheers

If your still wondering, do yourelf a favour and call Luke from Drifta, he's a top bloke who can't bend over backwards enough to please.

Steve
Image Image Image
mr_grumble
Post Machine!

Postby shasa_pa » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:07 pm

:+ Thank you to the both of you for your replies.
Something to really think about!
shasa_pa
Boy Scout

Postby Malcur » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:35 pm

We have a Drifta swing out kitchen, shown below. Very happy with it, although my wife wanted a stainless steel kitchen but that was out of our budget. Quality is excellent. Luke was very helpful in customising the kitchen - we bought a Lido Junior stove which is permanently connected, saves hassling over gas connections when we stop. Luke also very obliging with presales service. I haven't had the problem of sagging hinges yet, although the CT is only a year old. I think the swing out kitchen is a good compromise between space and utility. It provides all the kitchen function we need (there is only 2 of us) and doesn't take up too much space in the trailer. We have a large fold-up table which we set up when staying for more than a couple of nights (or if camping with friends) and we need more bench space. :grin:

Mal
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Camper Trailer owner!!
Malcur
Captain Camping

Postby Redback » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:59 am

I made my own, took me 1 day once i got all the stuff to build it with, i started with one of those chinese cast stoves then changed to the Tudor stove and grill (very expensive) but have now gone back to the cast stove, we never used the grill on the Tudor and small pots don't fit on the burner tops very well.

First setup with the cast stove

Second with the Tudor and our second sink with tap

Baz.
01 Discovery TD5 Locked & Lifted & Redback Country Camper Trailer
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.
Peter Lalor
Redback
Blatant Padder

Postby shasa_pa » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:12 pm

::) WOW! and THANK YOU !
shasa_pa
Boy Scout

Return to Camper Trailers