QLD - Flanagans Reserve, Rathdowney

Re: Flanagans Reserve, Rathdowney QLD

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:27 am

That is so disappointing karrynmac and I am sorry to hear you had such a dreadful camp. I personally have never been especially fond of Flanagans but for different reasons than you mention and he one time I did actually camp there, the management were just wonderful.

I did hear that there were new managers and my friends who told me this also made negative comment of the new managers and you now confirm this.

Thank you for passing on comment on your experience.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby ScottyB » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:11 pm

I guess places like that just become a shelter for unemployable people in the hospitality industry. Mind you I would like to hear their side of it, although a lot of what was happening sounds pretty hard to defend.
ScottyB
Captain Camping

Postby karrynmac » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:02 pm

Scotty b - my comments weren't meant to be biased - truely, we go camping a lot and have never ever had such a bad experience. I don't know who the extra people are who walk around and make sure you pay etc, but they were deliberately trying to be intimidating. I understand there are some non payers, sure, but considering their survival depends on people like us wouldn't you take the time to say hi and be friendly :grin: , so we would want to come back and tell all our friends how great it was, instead of resorting to this forum to say how bad :evil: it is?!
I spoke to 4 other families before we left, 2 had dogs 2 didn't, and although some said they didn't mind the campsite itself, they all made comment on the feeling of being harrassed by management.
I'm not easily intimidated but didn't dare speak out to the management about how we felt, especially not after the Sunday night debacle.
Admittedly my husband and 'the boys' can be rowdy - on boys weekends they're worse - but they were predominantly on their best behaviour this time as we had so many children with us.
If I wasn't left feeling like my long weekend was wasted with all the travel for that sort of treatment I could probably bring myself to let it go to experience, except it wasn't only me who felt this way, so I figured this was the best medium to get it across. I guess I can apologise if you all think I'm just being bitchy, but then you could go and see for yourself - in fact, why not compare the likes of Darlington Park and Flanagan reserve???? There's a challenge!! Let me know what you think.
If the management really cared about getting the park filled up all the time maybe they ought to consider treating the guests like guests and not trespassers.
karrynmac

Postby ScottyB » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:12 am

karrynmac wrote:Scotty b - my comments weren't meant to be biased - truely, we go camping a lot and have never ever had such a bad experience. I don't know who the extra people are who walk around and make sure you pay etc, but they were deliberately trying to be intimidating.

Oh don't get me wrong, you did the right thing by bringing this up and I thought the way you worded things was very objective, and in fact, quite a credit to your character in light of what happened.

I wanted to take my girls and the Jack Russell there soon but am now looking elsewhere .... but .... I just can't help myself and want to maybe go in there and see if they treat me the same way and then put it back on them and suggest that if they actually want to be in the hospitality industry then perhaps they need to actually try and be more tolerant of people. I just can't help myself. :booty

I came across this forum purely by accident whilst looking for places to take my girls camping. I doubt many camp grounds appreciate that what members of this forum experience at their venue can have a fairly significant impact on just how many people come to visit them in the future. After all, there are far more visitors to this forum than people who post, and word travels fast.

Perhaps some of the more seasoned campers amongst us could score some free weekends at these places to write a review ... bit like the lucky buggers who review restaurants and resorts.

Just an idea, but some people on here write better and more honest reviews than I have read in magazines etc.
ScottyB
Captain Camping

Postby gerard » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:31 am

karrynmac - you should definitely not apologise .... you are honest about your experience and that honesty is worth a million dollars
This poor customer service could easily sway people away from camping and it should not be tolerated ....
anyway that is my 5 cents worth - thank you for your honest feedback karrynmac
cheers gerard
gerard

Postby Al&Sharon » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:58 am

Last time we went to Flanigans it was a little dusty but still had fun I personally wouldnt rush back not because of the managment, just that there are so many much nicer places in the beaudesert and surounding area,however when we hear a review from our members it does make people think about not going.
We went to Lavuka last weekend took the dog went 4x4driving the managers there are the nicest people,there was only 1 other family on the whole camping ground, as much wood for your fire, had a brilliant cook up of chicken on the spit spud carrots done in a chicken stock. sweet corn on the cob the kids loved it, chocolate and coke marshmellows on the fire and yummy killer pythons,it was cold went down to 4 but still we didnt go to bed untill after 11,didnt catch any fish in the dam though not sure if there is any in there but I couldnt catch a cold :*** :*** .The tracks where a little muddy but it made the weekend, couldnt do all the tracks as Im not that confident in the 4x4 driving and some where really steep but did have some great laughs.Alan
Al&Sharon
Post Machine!

Postby karrynmac » Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:36 pm

Thanks for the supportive comments, I was feeling a little awful really because obviously it's not fair to the park managers when they can't defend themselves - but then as you said Scottyb, they don't appreciate how large and impact this type of forum can have on their venue. I stand by the belief that they can't fix something if they don't know it's broken, so with that in mind if it had been something material I would definitely gone to them and let them know - as the case is though, it is their personalities and what I can only put down to arrogance in that they have no regard for anyones' opinions, otherwise they would attempt to make everyone welcome. That's what I think anyway.
What I would LOVE to know, is where is a place we can safely take kids and dogs (other than Darlington) which is cheap, has fishing and swimming areas, and you are allowed to have a good weekend???? Craig and I used to go away without the kids sometimes to Condamine River/Queen Mary Falls, but you can't camp there now, and I love Peac@ck Creek, but you aren't meant to camp there either I don't think....
We found a great Lake/Dam out west - Coolmunda Dam, and if you get a license you can fish, but it is 103km west of Warwick.... http://sweetwaterfishing.com.au/Coolmunda.htm check out the link.
karrynmac

Postby freerocketman1 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:27 pm

karrynmac thank you :+ :+
years ago i went to flannagans just to have a look & the manager was quit nice but looks like someone else is running it now.
may i suggest you send them a email regarding how you feel you never know they might get the hint & start treating their customers with some respect.

as for darlington pk, yes the ranger on site is great. we camp at burgess pk which they manage as well & have never had a problem not only that they are trying to do up the place to encorage more campers. i wish there was more places like this.
freerocketman1
Blatant Padder

Postby ScottyB » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:43 pm

karrynmac wrote:We found a great Lake/Dam out west - Coolmunda Dam, and if you get a license you can fish, but it is 103km west of Warwick.... http://sweetwaterfishing.com.au/Coolmunda.htm check out the link.

Its a great place and still has "free" camping areas, although the local council has started charging a small fee for some areas. They will be investing in some infrastructure with the proceeds as at present its still very much a bush camping location. I think with a bit of work and upkeep it will make a nice camping destination for a few days of peace of quiet at very reasonable rates. I also hope that the addition of moderate fees might lead to cleaning up some of the more undesirable types.

Its extremely popular with the water ski crowd and gets packed on the long weekends. You will have some up until 4am playing loud music and then have others up at 5am revving the motors on the big ski boats. And then other times you go out there and have the place to yourself. There are a few older gents that set up there for months at a time earlier in the year, they have motorhome / bus type setups, fish every day, and are good blokes for a yarn and fishing advice.

You can get the fresh water impoundment fishing license at the BP in Inglewood and I think also at the Coolmunda Roadhouse on the Cunningham Hwy. There is a boat ramp but you can put most fishing boats in from the camping area and tie them up and leave them in there for your stay.

The locals are a little apprehensive on the campers, mainly because a lot use natures toilets and leave a massive mess, unfortunately they use it below the high water mark, and it is the water supply for the town.... Being a shallow dam it takes very little to fill it, and hit that high water mark. We take our dog in there but always keep him tied up as livestock graze in the area as well. I don't know if they are "officially" dog friendly but I know some people there and while they dont encourage bringing dogs, they dont mind as long as the dogs dont go chasing livestock etc.

I take my little girls camping there quite often and they love it, but I generally avoid the warmer long weekends because I go camping to get away from the crowds, not sleep in the middle of them.
ScottyB
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:49 pm

karrynmac wrote:
What I would LOVE to know, is where is a place we can safely take kids and dogs (other than Darlington) which is cheap, has fishing and swimming areas, and you are allowed to have a good weekend????

My recommendation is Island Reach at Imbil. http://www.ircamping.com.au/
I went there over xmas for 2 weeks and have been there before and will always go again, it is a really lovely place.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby karrynmac » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:54 pm

Hi gypsylady, thanks for the tip, I have looked at the website and emailed friends to see if they like what they see. :grin:
karrynmac

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:32 pm

karrynmac wrote:Hi gypsylady, thanks for the tip, I have looked at the website and emailed friends to see if they like what they see. :grin:

I am sure you will not be disappointed...
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Re: QLD - Flanagans Reserve, Rathdowney

Postby Hippie » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:37 pm

Wondering if you can tell me if the fishing is worth doing and do you need a permit? Also, are there bush walking tracks? Cheers, Hippie
Hippie
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:29 pm

Hippie wrote:Wondering if you can tell me if the fishing is worth doing and do you need a permit? Also, are there bush walking tracks? Cheers, Hippie

No permit require for fishing and not sure if there are any dedicated bushwalking tracks.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Troyk » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:01 pm

Hippie wrote:Wondering if you can tell me if the fishing is worth doing and do you need a permit? Also, are there bush walking tracks? Cheers, Hippie

There are walking tracks up the road at Mt Barney National park. Requires a moderate level of fitness though as they are Class 4 and 5 tracks.

Try this link http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/media/parks_a ... barney.pdf

Class 4 track (Australian standards)
Distinct track, surface likely to be rough with exposed roots and rocks.
Junctions signposted. Markers may be used where necessary (e.g. creek crossing).
Track variable in width, muddy sections, steep grades and steps likely to be encountered.
May be overgrown, hazards such as fallen trees and rocks likely to be present.
No bridges, no fences on cliff edges or lookouts, high level of caution required.
Moderate level of fitness and ankle-supporting footwear required.

Class 5 track (Australian standards)
Trails not constructed or maintained by the EPA. No signs or markers provided, except where necessary to reduce environmental damage. Depending on usage levels trails may range from clearly visible footpads to indistinct, overgrown routes.
Muddy sections, steep grades and numerous hazards such as fallen trees and rock falls highly likely to be encountered.
No bridges, no fences on cliff edges or lookouts, high level of caution required.
High level of fitness, ankle-supporting footwear, highly developed navigational skills, extensive off-track walking experience, relevant topographic maps and compass essential.
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

PreviousNext

Return to Queensland