Hi all - I'm new here and looking for advice

Come on in and tell us a little bit about yourself, your community, opinions, interests and ideas. Comments and tips are always welcome consider this social networking for the rest of us.

Hi all - I'm new here and looking for advice

Postby *teddybear* » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:45 pm

Hi Everyone

I found this website and love it. The kids and I are going to start camping. Hope we will enjoy it - haven't found a reason why we wont yet. I am currently in the process of getting the gear together that we will need. We are all very excited about it. Hoping to go to Mt. Barney during September - so it will still be cold but should be fun - for 3 nights. I joined this site to get info on what to look for when buying the big budget items like tent, fridge and stove etc, so if you can refer me to any particular threads please do.
:cheers
Beth
*teddybear*

Re: Hi all - I'm new here and looking for advice

Postby itchyant-senior » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:43 am

Hi Beth
Welcome to the beautiful and adventure world of camping. If you are looking for camping gear I don't think you can go past garage sales. Generally you can pick up most items save heaps and spend your savings going camping more freqently.
David
If you dream it - you can do it
itchyant-senior
Camping King

Postby Troyk » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:14 pm

Welcome Beth! :cheers
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:54 pm

Hi Beth and WELCOME. Here you will find many forum members who are happy to answer your questions and share their camping experiences.

We would also like to hear of your camping adventures.

For successful winter camping, I suggest that you check out the threads that contain tips for camping in the colder months.

As you have a little bit of time between now and the September holidays you will be able to hunt around the camping stores for some good bargains. Don't forget Kmart as they often have some good buys and a not too bad product either especially for the novice. Their warranty is also pretty hard to beat as well.

I personally would recommend a low pressure stove and look for a tent that has good ventilation and go for green rather than blue in colour. Blue for some reason attracts bugs. Happy hunting.

Cheers Gypsy..
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby cruiser » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:32 pm

:hello: welcome aboard
cruiser
Camping Veteran

Postby amanda » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:42 am

Welcome to the site - I hope you enjoy your time here! :grin:
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt - then it's bloody hilarious!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby *teddybear* » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:55 pm

Hi again - Thanks so much for the welcomes. Can anyone tell me what is the better sort of tent to buy. I had been told to buy only canvas. I was wondering if the Jackeroo Brand that KMart sells is any good. They are polyester. I wanted to buy another large tarp to put over the top of whatever I get anyway just don't want to waste money on a dud.

Thanks
Beth
*teddybear*

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:34 pm

Hi Beth

My very first tent some 20 years ago was a Jackaroo and it is still going. It is cabin style with 2 rooms which I used to camp in for up to a month at a time.

I later purchased a DMH Tanami dome tent for weekend getaways and it is now about 12 years old and still going strong. In fact, my daughter recently used it.

I also have a smaller version, a DMH Omeo 4 which my mum uses when she comes camping with me. I cannot fault either the DMH or the Jackaroo tents.

For ease of erection and cost I personally would go for a dome tent. I have had mine survive high winds, rain and even a cyclone and it has definitely stood the test. I agree that putting a tarp over is definitely the way to go irrespective of which type of tent you decided to purchase. It keeps them cooler in summer and warmer in winter and increases your living space as well..

Depending on your children and their ages you might even like to get them their own smaller tent. Kids love to have their own, it makes it a bigger adventure for them and teaches them some responsibility as well.

Cheers…
Last edited by GypsyLady on Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby *teddybear* » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:31 pm

Thanks for the advice gypsy. I will give it a go i think if I can get one the size I need.
Take care
*teddybear*

Postby ScottyB » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:10 pm

Best tip to save money .... get a Kmart catalogue when camping gear goes on sale, then head to Annaconda with the catalogue. They beat any advertised price by 10%. By the way .... if they try and stall you at the counter stand your ground.

This is sort of funny so I will repeat it here.....

I wanted the Coleman Hot Water on Demand setup. I waited until Kmart had them really cheap in the catalogue (about $270) then ripped into Annaconda with the catalogue (Annaconda had them at $450 at the time!!!). Waltzed on up to the counter with my catalogue and my hot water system and they stopped me, said they have to call their manager, who then said "we first have to ring Kmart and make sure they have them in stock otherwise we won't honour the discount".

Meanwhile about 10 angry people were stuck in the line behind me while this phone call took place. I told them why, and, that they should also go and get a Coleman Hot Water system from the shop because you would never get one this cheap ever ever again. So .... almost all of them went and got one and came back just in time for the manager to hang up the phone red faced and admit "Kmart have them in stock, we will honour the advertised discount". I made a lot of friends that day .... none of them worked for Annaconda ..... :booty

Sometimes it's just the principal of it. :*** :***
ScottyB
Captain Camping

Postby Troyk » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:05 pm

*teddybear* wrote:Thanks for the advice gypsy. I will give it a go i think if I can get one the size I need.
Take care

TB, a tip regarding tent size, one tent person is equal to half a real person. ie you need a 8 person tent minimum for 4 people. They size tents on the principl that you sleep like sardines. Just in case you go a Kmart or BigW tent that aren't setup.

Good range of designs is Oztrail. http://www.oztrail.com.au/
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby Barby-Q » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:50 am

canvas tents are bulky and heavy, they have to be completely dry before pulling then down
or they go mouldy . Poly tents dry very quick and roll up to a neat small package, light weight and easy to errect and they are cheaper . Shop around and do go to Downunder camping they are normally the best for prices.
Andy & Ange
Barby-Q
Camping Oracle

Postby mr_grumble » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:59 am

ScottyB wrote:Best tip to save money .... get a Kmart catalogue when camping gear goes on sale, then head to Annaconda with the catalogue. They beat any advertised price by 10%. By the way .... if they try and stall you at the counter stand your ground.

This is sort of funny so I will repeat it here.....

I wanted the Coleman Hot Water on Demand setup. I waited until Kmart had them really cheap in the catalogue (about $270) then ripped into Annaconda with the catalogue (Annaconda had them at $450 at the time!!!). Waltzed on up to the counter with my catalogue and my hot water system and they stopped me, said they have to call their manager, who then said "we first have to ring Kmart and make sure they have them in stock otherwise we won't honour the discount".

Meanwhile about 10 angry people were stuck in the line behind me while this phone call took place. I told them why, and, that they should also go and get a Coleman Hot Water system from the shop because you would never get one this cheap ever ever again. So .... almost all of them went and got one and came back just in time for the manager to hang up the phone red faced and admit "Kmart have them in stock, we will honour the advertised discount". I made a lot of friends that day .... none of them worked for Annaconda ..... :booty

Sometimes it's just the principal of it. :*** :***

Ah beautiful story ScottyB, I juust love it when the greedy get whats coming to them :+

I've been looking at one of those hot water on demand thingies for ages now, but just can't convince myself their worth the big $$$ the're asking for them.
Can you make comment on:
1). What it's like, how do you find it ?
2). How much propane do these chew through ?
3). Is it designed just for hot drinks or do they have the capacity to be able to use them to shower with ?
Might just make me get off my butt and get one.

Steve
Image Image Image
mr_grumble
Post Machine!

Postby Barby-Q » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:40 pm

What did you get for your $270 Scotty? The unit ,shower head, gas bottle hose , bag etc.
Andy & Ange
Barby-Q
Camping Oracle

Postby *teddybear* » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:34 pm

Hi all Thanks so much for all the advice - I feel a lot more confident going to make my purchase. Just wanted to know if you put a tarp underneath your tents. I hadn't heard of this before and someone mentioned it to me the other day and said it is absolutely necessary. I was going to get some of those foam squares to put on the floor of the tent but had never heard of the tarp under the tent. What do you all recommend??

Love the advice - thanks again
Regards
Beth :cheers
*teddybear*

Next

Return to Introductions: