Hi all - I'm new here and looking for advice

Come on in and tell us a little bit about yourself, your community, opinions, interests and ideas. Comments and tips are always welcome consider this social networking for the rest of us.

Re: Hi all - I'm new here and looking for advice

Postby Barby-Q » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:59 am

We put a tarp under the tent , but it's not essential. It saves a bit of cleaning before rolling up the tent .
Andy & Ange
Barby-Q
Camping Oracle

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:26 am

Beth, I would not put a tarp under the tent. I used to do this very early in my camping days and found that when it rains or you get any moisture it gets trapped between the tent floor and the tarp. Not good.

I would and alwys do put a tarp over the tent though.

Re the foam squares, I personally would stay away from them too, they are very slippery when wet.

If you want mats for other uses I recommend the rubber honeycomb looking ones that you can buy from BigW, Woolies and Bunnings for about $6. They come basically in black and sometimes in brown. I have had mine for about 17 years and they are still going strong. Think someone once told me they are made from recycled tyres.

Cheers..
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:30 am

Barby-Q wrote:We put a tarp under the tent , but it's not essential. It saves a bit of cleaning before rolling up the tent .

I sweep off the tent floor or if wet wipe it with an old towel before putting it away.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby *teddybear* » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:09 pm

:+ Thanks all - love all the advice it is very much appreciated. Is there anything else you have used which has been invaluable to your camping holidays? Also has anyone used those rechargable fluoro lamps that bcf are selling - I think they are coleman brand but not 100% sure?

:cheers
Beth
*teddybear*

Postby bellajay » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:52 pm

Hi!

Ebay....sometimes you not only get a bargin - you can use it as a research tool to compare different items and prices without having to set foot in a shop. When we purchased our Jayco, we were able to check on layouts, accessories, etc. to get an idea what we would expect to pay 2nd hand and for the amount of money, what inclusions we could expect also.

k and j
bellajay
Boy Scout

Postby Poodle Jewel » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:33 am

Look for a thread 'Hypothetical" Troyk started it, it is a discussion on what gear to get a newbie started. Don`t get foam squares for your floor,i bought a new carpet square for the lounge room,i now use the old one for the tent,looks posh carpet in your tent.It folds up reasonably flat and in winter i lay my mattress on it to keep the cold off me.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:53 pm

That's a good move PJ
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby wragee » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:01 pm

Hi Beth,
Just had a few thougths reading your post. We find the best to use under your tent or camper trailer is shade cloth. It allows the grass to breath and seems to keep the moisture off the bottom of the tent. I had a large piece and have sown 3 sides of it and left 1 side open so that you can shake out the sand. Second was the fluro lights I have bought them off ebay for half the price you can buy them in the shops. But be carefull to ask if they have 240 plugs and or car chargers. And I find they last for a long time at night even with kids playing with them. Make sure you get some spare globes as well.
Hope that helped.
Wragee
Ca't get enough camping.
wragee
Captain Camping

Previous

Return to Introductions: