Buying a CT

General Discussion, tips and questions and answer on Camper Trailers. Buy and sell below in Vehicles for Sale.

Buying a CT

Postby amanda » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:15 am

I originally had a thread posted in General Chit Chat, but as it's now turned into a specific question relating to buying a CT, I thought it would be better here.

I went along to the home and outdoor expo yesterday, and now I'm CONVINCED that I really do want one (whether I NEED one or not is another matter). I had a look at all of the ones on display, and at the moment am leaning towards the Customline trailer. Does anyone have any feedback on this make?
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt - then it's bloody hilarious!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Re: Buying a CT

Postby mr_grumble » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:39 pm

The temptation too difficult to resist huh :***

We to just had our local Camping & 4wd expo and it is always interesting to see whats out there.

Interesting, was the way some people inspect a CT when the're all set up.

Whilst every inch of the canvas is insepected, the bed sat on, the kitchen played with, not all that many people looked at the actual trailer itself.

There were alot of 'off-road' campers being displayed that still only came with slipper springs, 50mm ball coupling and non-tubular chassis. Was only a select few (the ones with the bigger price tag) that only truely produced a trailer that I'd be comfortable in taking off the black top.

I just had a look at the range of CT's that Customline offer, seems pretty good value actually.

What type were you interested in, the basic on-road, delux on-road or the delux off-road ?

I looked at the delux off-road variant, and I was impressed in the standard line up. The only optional extra's I would suggest as being a good idea, and this is only my opinion based on my experience so far with CT's is;

1) Galvanising $650 - I had a trailer which wasn't galvanised that I purchased new. It sat outside under a tarp and only lasted 3 years before it completely rusted through the floor and structure. Well worth the money.

2) Stone guard $250 - towing behind a vehicle will throw rocks at the front of the CT continuously, won't be long before you will have chips in paintwork / gal coating and rust will begin. Will also reduce the effects of mud a little more too :?

3) Pole holder $130 - Some of the tents poles will stay attached to the CT when disassembled, but youo will still have plenty of poles to find a place for. If your anything like me and pack what you can fit for a trip, the extra space a pole holder will afford you is essential.
Most will be in the form of a 90mm PVC tube that's attached to the front of the CT. If your thionking about an optional annex, might pay to have thrown on a second tube, will always come in handy (I have three!).

4) A suitable off-road hitch such as a Hyland, Orac or a Tregg, in this case the Hyland $290 - The standard 50mm ball that usually is the standard coupling don't like being offset from the max 25 deg (not 100% on the actual figure). The end result can be the coupling popping off the ball ::() Never a good situation to be in. I personally preffer the Tregg as it used a block of polyeurethane to couple the two vehicles together resulting in good isolation of vibration etc coming from the CT.

5) Brakes $500-$600 - The law's state that any trailer over 750kg must have brakes fitted. I personally think brakes are a good idea regardless of the weight. The prices shown on the Customliner web site list electric as being $150 cheaper than the usual manual over-ride type, something I'd be checking oout prior to making a decision. Electric are usually much more $$$ than manual over-ride.

6) Spreader Bar $150 - Not essential until you find out how the canvas handles the wet. Some will pool water on the roof which is not a good thing. The pool will steadily grow larger and heavier !

There is other stuff that's a good idea but not what Id regard as essential.
If your not looking at the off-road model, then suggestions 2 and 4 would not be required.

The general price of the trailers seem pretty good and the pricing of the optional bits also seem pretty cheap too.

Another option is that now days, because there are soooo many CT manufacturers, the second hand market has really cheapened up. There are alot of second hand units out there now that are very cheap and of good quality, some that have only ever been used once or twice :?# . Might also be worth a look.

That's my 2c worth, hope it helps

Steve
Image Image Image
mr_grumble
Post Machine!

Postby amanda » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:56 pm

Thanks for your 2c worth - much appreciated. I'd be looking at the Deluxe On Road as I don't have a 4WD, and can't envisage getting one anytime in the forseeable future.

The deluxe comes with a front tool box, but not the pole holders, so yes I would need to have them fitted as I would be getting the optional annexe.

I would also add the galvanising as the CT would only be housed under a carport, not in a garage.

The list of featues the guy showed me on the weekend did include a spreader bar.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to have a look at it - I really appreciate it, for as you can see I'm a complete novice when it comes to CT's - all info and advice is very welcome indeed.
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby mr_grumble » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:10 pm

Make sure you look around before setting your heart on one. There are that many people making these things these days, all different in some way.
Might even pay to hire one for a long weekend too, you won't find a better way to be sure of what it is your going to need until you go try one.
I built mine thinking I'd covered all the bases. After the first time we used it, there were a few little things that I hadn't even contemplated but wish I had, especially when it comes to bits you have to attach to the trailer AFTER it's been galvanised :--?
Best of luck with the hunt :cheers

Steve
Image Image Image
mr_grumble
Post Machine!

Postby Redback » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:54 pm

Yes if you can, hire one first, this is how we decided on getting ours.

The stone guard should be standard, if not then yes get it, also get the bigger/biggest tent size you can afford, especially if you have kids and get the annex screen and canvas walls to enclose the annex, this is very good for when it rains and also somewhere to get away from the flies AND IT WON'T BE AS CRAMPED 8)

Get it fitted with brakes, override disc brakes are fine.

Are you or your husband handy DIYers??

Baz.
01 Discovery TD5 Locked & Lifted & Redback Country Camper Trailer
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.
Peter Lalor
Redback
Blatant Padder

Postby Redback » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:09 pm

This maybe worth having a look at.

It has already been setup
http://www.campertrailers.org/camper_trader163.htm

Baz.
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.
Peter Lalor
Redback
Blatant Padder

Postby amanda » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:14 pm

I'll defintely be getting the biggest tent I can afford, with flyscreen and canvas walls. Living space is very important to me, and is most of the reason I am going away from the tent. At the moment, depending on who tags along, we can end up having our large 8 person tent, that actually sleeps 2 but can be used to sit around in during bad weather, the smaller dome tent that sleeps 2 adults or 4 kids, as well as the tarp for shade/rain protection, and on longer trips the screen house.

I'm not too bad on the DIY, however that cetainly wouldn't include welding or anything too techincal.
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Redback » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:38 pm

amanda wrote:I'll defintely be getting the biggest tent I can afford, with flyscreen and canvas walls. Living space is very important to me, and is most of the reason I am going away from the tent. At the moment, depending on who tags along, we can end up having our large 8 person tent, that actually sleeps 2 but can be used to sit around in during bad weather, the smaller dome tent that sleeps 2 adults or 4 kids, as well as the tarp for shade/rain protection, and on longer trips the screen house.

I'm not too bad on the DIY, however that cetainly wouldn't include welding or anything too techincal.

Get the Drifta kitchen with tap, also remember the more accessories you add the heavier the camper becomes and the heavier the weight over the towball is, so keep an eye on that depending on what your towing it with.

Make your own pole holder, it will cost a lot less.

The higher cover is a good idea, you can put your annex walls and other stuff on top of the camper before the cover goes on, this is what we do, we have the ground sheet, annex floor, walls and tent ropes and pegs and tarps there.

I forgot too add, Johnnos camper trailer on the Gold Coast hire campers.
http://www.campertrailer.com.au/

Baz.
Peter Lalor
Redback
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:11 am

Hi Amanda, I would definitely consider getting a pre loved CT as my first CT; in fact I did just that.

I found that once you actually have one and can get out and use it you will become far more knowledgeable about what you want, need and like as opposed to what you don't.

I got my first CT, a fairly serious off road CT (in fact it had just returned from its 3rd CY trip) for just under $8000 and sold it 4 years later for $13,000. In the time it was optioned up with features that I came to believe were just right for my needs and as it turned out were a benefit for the next person who bought it.

When I upgraded to my second camper I was far more knowledgeable about what I wanted and able to make decisions about it that I would never have thought possible before hand.

Out there doing it definitely gives you powerful knowledge and there are so many pre loved CTs out there in the marketplace to choose from that your head will spin.

Good luck
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby amanda » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:20 am

gypsylady wrote:
Out there doing it definitely gives you powerful knowledge and there are so many pre loved CTs out there in the marketplace to choose from that your head will spin.

Good luck

You're right there, I think my head is spinning already! I think I will dedicate the next few weekends to having a good look about at both new and second hand ones to try to narrow down what I do want included in one, and from there start the actual search for one. As you say, once I've got out there and experienced one for a while, I'll have a far better idea of what it is EXACTLY that I want, and for that reason I too have also thought that perhaps I would be best to "test the waters" with a second hand one first.

Thanks for the advice!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:25 am

amanda wrote:I'll defintely be getting the biggest tent I can afford, with flyscreen and canvas walls. Living space is very important to me,

Amanda, if you decide definitely that 'new' is for you then I would also suggest that you look at ModCon at Capalaba, they do a soft floor rear opening complete with stainless steel kitchen and it has heaps of room.

http://www.modcon.com.au
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby ScottyB » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:03 am

Don't forget Amanda, the minute it touches your towball a new CT becomes a 2nd hand CT. I bought 2nd hand. After a few trips it will feel like our own anyway.

Just go with whatever your budget allows contrasted against what you can live with. I am not proud, a newish 2nd hand trailer got me what I wanted without braking the bank. I could not have afforded what I got in my 2nd hand trailer if I had bought it new anyway so I am happy with it.
ScottyB
Captain Camping

Postby mr_grumble » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:20 am

Just go with whatever your budget allows contrasted against what you can live with. I am not proud, a newish 2nd hand trailer got me what I wanted without braking the bank. I could not have afforded what I got in my 2nd hand trailer if I had bought it new anyway so I am happy with it.

What Scotty B said :armsup

When we first got the bug, we went and priced new and was very soon dissapointed.
There was no way our youngish family could part with $10+ for a CT.

We virtually dismissed the idea of a CT for a few weeks when I had a brain fart to make my own.

Sure, it may not have all the glitz and glamour of a new spandangled CT that has a multitude of carpeted compartments or any of the over-priced bits and pieces that when you really stop and think about it, you probably don't need, but it does what we need it to and we're happy
Image Image Image
mr_grumble
Post Machine!

Postby Cruzin » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:45 pm

Hi Amanda,
Agree with Scotty and Steve
I did the same and flexed the brain muscle.
We had a 7x4 built by a mob who makes trailers for Semi-trucks, had it hot dipped galvanised etc and went from there.

But all good things come to an end.
We'ved used it once without (a year ago) and once with (last month) the Canvass Tent top and it will be on the market soon. (approx 2xmonths)

We have decided on a smallish caravan for health reasons. (will watch prices over next 10 months before buying a van)

Rgds Shane
Shane - KZN185; PolyAir Bags; Uniden UH050XR 5xWatt UHF; 65ltr Evacool & a DIY CT under construction
eBay Username Cruzin4WD
Cruzin
Camping Veteran

Postby jaggededge » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:33 pm

hi,

when you lookin at the campers have a close look at the stitching, and make sure its neat, tidy and straight(if its not there is a big chance that there will be needle holes or "run offs" that will leak and will wet all your camping gear or worse start dripping on your head... and check the weight of the canvas 15 oz is good for a roof but i would not use it on walls 12 oz is better as the cotton/poly is different ratio's.. 15 oz wont breath as much thats why i reccommend 12 oz on walls so your tent is not to hot..

i reccomend you go and talk to pauline or theo at VACATION CAMPERS in northgate 32569978, the detail and experience in there campers is unreal. i have had one for quite sometime now and never had a problem..
tell them jon sent you..

thanks jon
jaggededge

Next

Return to Camper Trailers