New camping mum

Come on in and tell us a little bit about yourself, your community, opinions, interests and ideas. Comments and tips are always welcome consider this social networking for the rest of us.

New camping mum

Postby campingmum » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:12 pm

HI everyone

I've very new the the idea of camping :roll: but am looking forward to taking my hubby and 3boys camping. We are Zoe, Troy and our boys are aged 4.5yrs, 2.5yrs and 10.5months.

I just bought a tent on the weekend, and we have set a weekend free in October to tackle our first camping weekend - we need some time to get organised.

Any tips and advise for camping with young kids would be great!!!

:grin: Zoe
campingmum

Re: New camping mum

Postby Troyk » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:31 pm

Welcome Zoe. Sounds like you have your hands full there. What part of the world are you from.

Best thing for kids is glowsticks, at least for the 2 older kids. Cost about $5 for 4 and kids love them. Make good night lights as well. Otherwise a torch each is good. :mrgreen:
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby Teabag » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:33 pm

Welcome............ :hello:
2006 GU4 4.2TDi Patrol with 2005 Limited Edition Kimberley Kamper and plenty of goodies.

http://www.4wdmonthly.com.au/shed/index.php?id=1003
Teabag
Captain Camping

Postby Ricklanga » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:34 pm

:hello: & welcome Zoe.
It always rains on tents. Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds for the opportunity to rain on a tent.
Ricklanga
Post Machine!

Postby shell68 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:52 am

Hi Zoe,

I am also new to camping. My children are 5, 4 and 2.

We are also going on our first camping trip in October.

Where are you located?
shell68
Boy Scout

Postby campingmum » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:40 am

HI everyone,

Thanks for the welcome.

We are in Brissy, and looking at just heading away for a 2-4nights for our first trip. I know this is probably 'wrong' but I'm thinking about heading to a caravan park for the first trip, I know this is taking the 'easy' road, but I'd like the first trip to be fantastic so we do go again.

Any great family friendly parks, good for first timers around 2hrs drive from brissy?

:lol: Zoe
campingmum

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:13 am

Hi campingmum and WELCOME to our fourum

I personally think your idea to have an easy trip first time out is an excellent idea, definitely not a wrong choice at all. Whilst I would not choose a CP as such I would definitely go for a campground with all amenities. Two of my recommendations would be.

Island Reach Camping Resort – Imbil
Contact Tony, Jim or Maryanne on Phone: 07 5484 5247
Address: 5-15 Island Rd Imbil.
http://www.ircamping.com.au/

Goomburra Valley Campground
http://www.goomburravalleycampground.com.au/
Under new management mid 2006 (Debby & Andy)

My other suggestion is to involve the 2 older kids in packing the car at home, setting up the camp and packing up as well. Give them some small chores that can be theirs, simple things. The more you involve them in it at an early age the more they will come to feel camping is an important part of their lives and they will have less time to become bored.

I am sure you will all have a great time Zoe.

Cheers Gypsy
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Troyk » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:12 pm

Zoe,

I would give Island Reach a miss with young kids. The ground is flat at the front which would be ok, but it then drops away at the rear to the creek where there is some deep water. Good for the older kids though. Its still a nice spot though. My kids are 6 and 4 so I know how nerve racking it can be when they want to wander.

Another place to try is Lake Cressbrook, nice clean amentities, level well grassed sites, a large camp kitchen with bbq's. You get roos in the evening and possums at night which is a bit of thrill for the kids. I believe they still provide firewood.

Its owned by Toowoomba Regional Council and is about 30km west of Esk.

I thought I had done a review on Lake Creesbrook, but I can't seem to find it. I will post something tonight.
:grin:
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby Ricklanga » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:36 pm

Kilkivan is a nice spot for children but it's about three hours drive from Brissie south side. It's clean, great amenities, freindly management & they always give you plenty of space. You can read a review here: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=2472

The prophet gold mine is within walking distance so you can take the kids gold panning. http://www.prophetau.com and the Wonga Drive-In Theatre is not to far.

We went ANZAC weekend & had a great time.
It always rains on tents. Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds for the opportunity to rain on a tent.
Ricklanga
Post Machine!

Postby campingmum » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:45 pm

HI everyone,

Thank you so much for the welcome!!! and suggestions for our first camping trip.

I'm so excited, and sure I'll be back with many silly questions :grin:

Zoe
campingmum

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:49 pm

No question is a silly question when it relates to camping Zoe.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Return to Introductions: