Trip Report - Old Coach Road & Seven Mile Diggings

Community groups, clubs etc. tell us about yourselves, who can join, activities, post notices and events.

Moderator: amanda

Trip Report - Old Coach Road & Seven Mile Diggings

Postby Ingenious » Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:11 am

Myself & a few freinds have been on a easy/meadium 4x4/camping/Rubbish clean up trip to the Seven Mile Diggings/Old Coach Road near Nanango/Yarraman/Moore Areas, It is located approx. 1.5 hours north west of Brisbane.
For those of you lucky enough to have The Dirty Weekends in south east queensland THIRD EDITION it is TOUR#21.
Cheers Terry :?#
Last edited by Ingenious on Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Ingenious
Camping King

Postby stevo. » Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:54 pm

oooo

Which way are you entering Old Coach Road? from the east side or via Nanango?

What time will you be arriving at the Archer camp area?

I probably wouldn't recommend soft roaders like Rav4s/Xtrails enter from the east side, but should be ok from the Nanango side.
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby Ingenious » Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:51 pm

For everyone that's interested we had a great time, weather was mild with just a few droplets of rain on saturday night, followed by a stange haylo cloud circle around the moon that we believe was created by Steve (aka Meeky ) tiny campfire. (pictures coming later)
Our group of four 4x4 vehicles with six adults set out from Kilcoy led by Meeky :+ , chatting by UHF radio meeky told us all about landmarks & interesting triva about the areas we were passing, we turned off the main road onto the first forestry track wich led us to a medium size old wooden fire tower. Keen as mustard all jumped out of the fourbies to climb the stairs for the view, I only made it half way before my scared wobbly legs would't take me any further but I could still see for miles over the tree tops to where we were headed. Back to the fourbies & onward to the Old coach road, through the gate (after 4x4 hubs & low range were engaged) the track was great fun right from the start, nothing hard as most old eroded sections had new tracks around them.

Now some folk wouldn't think much of this area to camp in or drive through for that matter, it is very dry out there at the moment, no green grass or water in the creeks, but it has a old country charm about it & with a little imagination your mind can wander back to yesteryear when the Cobb & Co coach would make its way way through this rugged track with the mail & the important supplies that were required further inland. The gold prospectors just a few gullies away from the track at the seven mile diggings area have left small reminders of there presence behind from all those years ago. The Geographic diversety of the landscape was an unexpected suprise for me, from gentle rolling hills a track can lead you to large rock canyon where pine tree roots are wedged into cracks in the canyon walls defiying gravity that has brought many a giant boulder to the bottom of the raven years ealier. Winter proved to be the ideal time to explore this wonderful part of Queensland, with mild days & the cool of nightfall with all gathered around a campfire dicussing the wonders we had seen.

It is a place that I look forward to exploring some more in the future so if your reading this & sorry you missed out on this trip just post a reply to let us know your keen, it could be just the excuse we need for another quiet weekend away from the big smoke.
Cheers Terry :?# :armsup :?# :armsup
Last edited by Ingenious on Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ingenious
Camping King

Postby stevo. » Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:54 am

I was thinking i might just come out Saturday morning and meet you somewhere. I wont be doing any extreme stuff in my nice zook but i can show you around and watch everyone break stuff :)

There's one fella thinking about coming out in his vitara but we'll see what happens.
stevo.

Postby Ingenious » Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:02 pm

Deleted this post not relavent anymore!.
Last edited by Ingenious on Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingenious
Camping King

Postby Ingenious » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:40 pm

Last edited by Ingenious on Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingenious
Camping King

Postby Jock » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:24 pm

Sorry have to get ready for the weekend after :cry:
Trouble maker ;-)
Jock
Boy Scout

Postby stevo. » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:39 pm

Terry, what time do you think you'll be packed up and leaving from the camp on Saturday? I'm just figuring out where i should be and what time.
stevo.

Postby Ingenious » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:37 pm

Last edited by Ingenious on Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ingenious
Camping King

Postby Barby-Q » Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:40 am

Sorry guys cant make it this weekend . We have had 5 international visitors fot the last 18 days and they leave Friday :+ . Sat / Sun I we be putting furniture back to its normal position .
Andy & Ange
Barby-Q
Camping Oracle

Postby stevo. » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:37 am

yeah i have a UHF, i got ya number in my phone now, i'll PM you mine, i'd put it here but you know how it is, all these chicks will start ringing me up :lol:

There's no rush to leave i guess so 9am would be ok, i'm not that familiar with the camp site at Mt Mee, i've been there once but forgot how to get there as it was years ago.... got any simple directions? Is it near Woodford at all?
stevo.

Postby stevo. » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:47 pm

Terry, how about 9.30am at Woodford, out front of the pie shop/bakery thing. I think you'll come out of that road and straight in to Woodford from where you'll be camping, i'm not sure as i'm not too sure where the Archer camp site is.... OR if you end up coming out past Woodford, we could meet at Kilcoy Bakery, which is on the main street in Kilcoy.
stevo.

Postby Ingenious » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:07 pm

Last edited by Ingenious on Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingenious
Camping King

Postby stevo. » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:34 pm

set 8)
stevo.

Postby Barby-Q » Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:40 am

We hope you all had a good weekend . We didn't ,we had to take the visitorsto the airport 3 times , First a cancelled flight on Friday due to a Typhoon in HongKong , returned to the airport again on Saturday morning and was told flight delayed till 9pm ,back again for 9pm and flight delayed another 1 1/2hours and a 24hour delay in Singapore , a total of 54 hours late home .
Andy & Ange
Barby-Q
Camping Oracle

Next

Return to Groups & Activities