Camper trailer bed height

General Discussion, tips and questions and answer on Camper Trailers. Buy and sell below in Vehicles for Sale.

Camper trailer bed height

Postby Komodo » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:33 pm

Guys and girls,

Just wondering how high off the ground your beds are in your camper trailers.
I'm looking at building a teardrop - well more a miniture caravan based on the tear drop concept actually. But in order to be able to fit 33" tyres and to have a reasonable amount of clearance between the underside of the guard and the top of the tyre and to have a decent sized bed without affecting the track of the vehicle (which i want to match the patrol) and to have a comfy proper innersprung mattress it is working out to close to 1100mm from the ground level to the top of the mattress. This seems awefully high to me - but then again it doesnt seem as though a normal camper trailer could be much lower - at least not an offroad camper trailer.

Look forward to your replies

Regards,
Kirk
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Re: Camper trailer bed height

Postby ben... » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:15 pm

my CT bed would be easy that height, ive never measured the height but its about mid chest height, and im about 185cm tall. My CT has built in steps that fold out to make it easier to get into bed... something you may consider installing.
ben...
Post Machine!

Postby Troyk » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:46 pm

I had to measure it . Its 1110mm to the top of the base then you have the mattress. Since we got ours you now can get retractable ladders as ben suggested which would be heaps better. Our ladder can be unstable at times depending on the ground we are camped on and it because of the shape it tends to take up a lot of room in the trailer.
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby Redback » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:23 am

Ours is about 1400mm to 1500mm, and we have the walkin section (A Redback, the original trailer with this design) at the front for easy access too bed, ours is a little taller than most because we have 700mm sides so we could fit an upright 3 way fridge in the trailer.

Baz.
01 Discovery TD5 Locked & Lifted & Redback Country Camper Trailer
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.
Peter Lalor
Redback
Blatant Padder

Return to Camper Trailers