Which stove and stand

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Re: Which stove and stand

Postby Komodo » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:17 pm

http://www.colemanaustralia.com.au/temp ... egory=1214

Theres a link for any one interested.

I went and checked out some of these stoves on the weekend (curiosity...)
I liked the Fold 'N Go LPGâ„¢ Instastartâ„¢ Stove RRP $149.99
And the EvenTempâ„¢ AL-3 InstaStartâ„¢ 3 w/Grid RRP $199.99
I also thought the 2 Burner EI LPG Grill Stove RRP $139.99 was a good little jigger.

Personally I thought the two burner versions both with and without "InstaStart" wernt bad but The Fold 'N' Go IMO was a better stove But at $50 (or 33%) more than the 2 Burner MatchLightâ„¢ LPG Stove at RRP $99.99 it would be hard to part with the additional $50. But if you were going the 2 Burner Instastartâ„¢ LPG Stove RRP $119.99 then I think the $30 (or less) is probably worth it.

The only down side I really saw to the Fold 'N' Go was that it wouldnt (i dont think) site on a normal stove stand very well & I dont thikn you can get a "BBQ" plate for it like you can for the others (I think - I know you can definately for the 3 burner but maybe not for the 2 burner as they have the grill version.

The older cast iron type are FAR FAR cheaper. A 2 burner cast iron low pressure stove is about $50 so if you've got the room...

Actually it was a bit of an eye opener for me I havent really looked at stoves before. The only stoves ive ever had have been the old trangia when i was a scout and an old Tilley Titan mum and dad have and the stove Kel and I use (high pressure LPG champion 3 burner) as well as the little disposable cannister square gas stoves and the gampingaz type stoves that a few of the other scouts had instead of trangias. There is a lot of choice out there and I can see why most people get high pressure stoves - they are cheap as! and there must have been 3 or 4 different start up packs including a gas light, high pressure stove, LPG bottle and stand all for $110 or less!

I looked at duel fuel stoves while I was there but I decided that for me running a diesel vehicle its just not really that practical. Plus the idea of a tank carrying petrol right under my wrist whilst cooking doesnt appeal to me much.

I think for now im going to invest in a medium sized low pressure LPG burner and the kit from southern metal spinners to use my camp oven with gas as I "might" be getting a low pressure stove from mum and dad & kel for christmas or my birthday ;)

Now just down to choice of which one - im leaning towards the 3 burner without the grill plate and buying the grill plate myself a a later date
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:44 pm

Mine was the older version of the 2 Burner MatchLightâ„¢ LPG Stove as shown of the website. I did not get the auto or piezo ignition as I thought if it went bung I would end up lighting it with a match anyhow.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Golden_Daydreamer » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:50 am

Komodo wrote:I looked at duel fuel stoves while I was there but I decided that for me running a diesel vehicle its just not really that practical. Plus the idea of a tank carrying petrol right under my wrist whilst cooking doesnt appeal to me much.

Although I haven't yet, I have a Coleman duel fuel stove similar to this one:

http://www.colemanaustralia.com.au/temp ... egory=1214

I bought mine in late 1999 and have only used it with petrol once. I haven't used it for a long time but I use Shellite in it. I have found that it didn't like Australian unleaded petrol. The instructions say that USA unleaded petrol is OK but Canadian unleaded petrol is not suitable.

One thing I don't like about the grill plate is that you cant store it in the stove.
Cheers,
Henry (Golden_Daydreamer)

The only stupid question is the question that is not asked.
Golden_Daydreamer
Camping King

Previous

Return to Gear Guide