Generator boxes

General Discussion, tips and questions and answer on Camper Trailers. Buy and sell below in Vehicles for Sale.

Generator boxes

Postby Komodo » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:15 pm

Has any one built a generator box?

In the "plans" for building a teardrop / grasshopper / mini caravan I'm thinking of adding a generator. Something like a small honda or yamaha inverter type (the quiet ones) and then placing it in a generator box to dampen the sound even more. So I'm after ideas for the best way to go about it so I can work out how much weight allowance I will require and how much space it will take up.
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Re: Generator boxes

Postby freerocketman1 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:57 pm

komodo if you end up building one i would love to see the design as ive just bought a generator :)
freerocketman1
Blatant Padder

Postby Komodo » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:17 pm

I looked all over the net and all the designs I saw were like this.

Biggest issue is making sure you get enough airflow for when the trottle is wide open and enough airflow for cooling.
I'm sure if you did enough research and had access to a mill you could make the generator liquid cooled with an external radiator which would make keeping things cool easier
A place I'd rather be...
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Cruzin » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:37 pm

Hi Komodo

Have a look at this page It is a great resource

http://www.campertrailers.org/tech_tips.htm
Scroll down to Generators

Also
http://groups.msn.com/CARAVANersforum/g ... m2007.msnw

and search by "generator"
There has been a lot of recent discussion on Making Generatot boxes (caged steel and sound baffling)
Shane - KZN185; PolyAir Bags; Uniden UH050XR 5xWatt UHF; 65ltr Evacool & a DIY CT under construction
eBay Username Cruzin4WD
Cruzin
Camping Veteran

Postby ben... » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:14 am

having worked as an acoustic engineer many moons ago, here are my suggestions. Generally, to get sound atten, panels will be to be filled with a sound absorb compound. this would normally be a ridgid fibreglass panels similar to what is used in roofing, however this has a sound rateing, and is stiff. this will also take care of the fire hazard you have as well. panels should be skinned with a perfferated metal. to give venterlation, acoustic louvers would be installed, so that air could come in, and sound will not get out. Having a fan only will let sound out.

(sorry if there is spelling mistaked i typed this up really quick on my way out the door)
ben...
Post Machine!

Postby Komodo » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:30 pm

Thanks Shane and Ben.

Shane I've actually looked at that link. Looks pretty good.

Ben I agree with your ideas. I thought there were too many flaws with the fan option too but thats the "common" design out there. Actually being an acoustic engineer you would have been impressed by the sound proof buildings we just built up in preston - completely sound proof so an under ground boring machine worth 16million could tunnel and replace old sewerage pipes 24/7 withough disturbing the residential neighbours. Massive airlocks for the trucks and all.
A place I'd rather be...
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Return to Camper Trailers