Cooking What do you use

OK so this is your home away from home right. So lets share a few of these tips and (secrets) of a great camping site.

Cooking What do you use

Postby Redback » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:47 am

I'm often inpressed with the gear people take camping to cook on from camp ovens to microwaves to BBQs, i've even seen covered rotisseries :shock:

We are fairly simple but we do have some luxuries, a stovetop Espresso/cappuccino maker and a Mukka cappuccino maker.

We use Hillbilly mainly, we don't cook a lot on the stove as we find it more convenient to cook on a campfire and as we camp mainly in the cooler months, we don't have fire ban problems, we prefer to not go camping in these conditions, i'd rather stay at home and sit around the bar at the pool and :beer :armsup
Here :mrgreen:

Anyway here is our gear.
Hillbilly campstand
Old style enamel coffee pot as our billy
This is the small 7.5ltr oven the bigger 12.5ltr looks the same only bigger
Apart from being a very good campoven, the advantage they have over the cast iron campoven of the same dementions, is the Hillbilly is a fraction of the weight.

Baz.
01 Discovery TD5 Locked & Lifted & Redback Country Camper Trailer
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.
Peter Lalor
Redback
Blatant Padder

Re: Cooking What do you use

Postby HGMonaro » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:53 pm

we've got a BBQ plate with (folding legs) for on the campfire. Made by father-in-law so got it at the right price... We actually were carring it in our car and at the end of the trip I said, "you don't want that back do you", and he replied, "no you keep it, I'll make myself another one" :)

For gas, we use a single burner on a 2.5kg bottle. Usually use the camper's frypan on that although I do have a BBQ plate for it (I usually leave it at home). If we're cooking veggies as well, we do them on the campers stove.

We love to cook spuds in foil in the fire, so always have lots of foil around. If staying with power, I recommend taking a V.V.E.F. (Very Versitile Electric Frypan). Can be used in many ways to cook a variety of tucker.

Nige.
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:56 pm

For me it depends on where I am camping, when I am camping, who I am camping with and how long I am camping. If it is just an overnighter it is the stove only unless there is a BBQ in the campgrounds then it is not even the stove but probably just a grill and tossed salad.

I have a 3 burner stove in the kitchen of the camper. I supplement this with a Dream Pot, camp ovens and/or gas BBQ depending of what meals I have planned for the camp.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Komodo » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:07 pm

Camp oven
3 burner stove
BBQ plate
Single burner with canister gas
Single burner (mounts ontop of a 2kg bottle)

Thats about it

Have looked at the portable rotisseries from the likes of SQC International (google it) - I stumbled across them when looking for a new skewer rod for mum and dads spit. I think the little 'D' battery powered one would be a cool little gadget to have for camping - ovbiously for a more "extended" period of time though. wouldnt pull it out for an over-nighter

Basically I use the camp oven for as much as possible. I love cooking on cast iron! Even at home I have a mixture of heavy stainless and cast iron and I refuse to use "non-stick" pans
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby HGMonaro » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:08 pm

Komodo wrote:and I refuse to use "non-stick" pans

We bought a couple of frying pans from Sovereign Hill that I'm sure you'd like.. mild steel with a big wooden handle. Reasonable prices too.

crappy pictures --> http://www.sohofoundry.com.au/shopping/?id=5
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:47 am

HGMonaro wrote:
Komodo wrote:and I refuse to use "non-stick" pans

We bought a couple of frying pans from Sovereign Hill that I'm sure you'd like.. mild steel with a big wooden handle. Reasonable prices too.

crappy pictures --> http://www.sohofoundry.com.au/shopping/?id=5

Yep, you are right...definitely crappy pics..
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Beagle » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:46 pm

I try to keep it basic. Camp oven, bar-b-que plate, kettle, few saucepans and fry pan plus gas barbie and camper kitchen
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Beagle
Captain Camping

Postby wragee » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:20 pm

Well where do I start.
Kettles one large enamel and one small enamel kettles. Large for shower water and when everyman and dog wants coffee.
(I hide the large kettle from hubby in mornings or other wise after he stokes the fire FILLS the 5ltr kettle you may have a cuppa in a hour.) :***
Frypans are Hillbillys ( I found the best so far)
BBQ and Grill with fold up legs. I wish I had all Plate
Gas frypan. (The only one I have ever seen and works great where no fires allowed)
Coopers saucepans. Great for on and off open fires. Handle removeable and nice weight to the steel. Also teflon coated.
Looking at getting hillbilly toaster to save the knuckles and dropped toast from hot fingers. :?#
3 Gas burner in camper and propaine stove for boat and when I have no power at home. Even then have to race to camp trailer to get water. The pump on house no go with out power.
Hope this helps.
Wragee
Ca't get enough camping.
wragee
Captain Camping

Postby wragee » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:24 pm

OOPS
forgot the 2 camp ovens one large for roasting and one for stews and rissotos.
wow now I remembered 1 more the old deep frying pot and basket to fry up the fish and chips in.
Wragee
Ca't get enough camping.
wragee
Captain Camping

Postby elpaulos » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:19 pm

2 & 3 burner gas cooker (Use whatever the setup is)
Single burner with cannister.
Would love to get into the camp ovens. (still lurking Dereks site for info/recipies!!)
Sometimes the single burner is all we need. Baked beans or spaghetti for the kids then schnitzels for the adults. I got one of those 4 piece toasters you can chuck on top of the burner and works OK.
91 Landcruiser.
elpaulos
Camping Veteran

Postby Poodle Jewel » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:44 pm

Very basic since there is just moi.....2 burner gas stove....a billy...small and medium saucepan....skillet with lid.
If only going for 2/3 days take a cooked chook,lettuce,tomatoes,avos,eggs, fresh bread rolls or wraps,some pkt soups and baked beans for good measure;if longer than get more creative with meat and veges.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby rexgrant » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:04 am

Hi
This is how we do it UK style, my Kitchen tent by day Image

And by night Image

Not quite the same as the open fire and dutch ovens but we have to do as we are instructed on UK sites :$
Rex.
I would Like to Wish all our Fellow campers in Austrailia
A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR.
rexgrant
Boy Scout

Postby Blue Bravo » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:28 pm

We have about every situation covered. In the camper we have a 2 burner gas with grill. If on power we also carry a Fry Pan Electric Jug, Toaster and Sandwich maker. We don't like to cook in the camper if it can be avoided so we also carry a 2 burner gas stove a billy and a toaster (called a bruschetta maker) and a grill plate for open fires.
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:42 pm

Yeah I have an 'electric' bag that I just pick up and take if on power...
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby markannab » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:17 pm

Currently, we have a two-burner in the camper, a single-burner cartridge stove outside for the kettle, and a $100 two-burner BBQ. But, as mentioned in other posts, we're going from campervan to tent and in the process are going from three "cookers" to one: A three-burner table-top stove (likely Companion for $99) with a cast plate on top for BBQing.
Freelance Design, Printing and Rubber Stamps: http://www.worldofprinting.com
markannab
Captain Camping

Next

Return to Show Us Your Campsite