Tent advice: Coleman Montana Vs Oztrail Chateau 10

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Tent advice: Coleman Montana Vs Oztrail Chateau 10

Postby oldFisho » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:38 pm

Hi,

Did alot of camping as a kid, but 25 years later Im a camping newbie and would appreciate any advice on this comparison (both have similar layouts - 1 living room with bedroom either side):

Coleman Montana - heavy nylon - 31KG - can purchase for $650
Oztrail Chateau 10 - canvas - 71KG - $850

Im on the central coast and these are the best prices I can find.

I have 2 young kids and a wife who probably will not help setup camp. Id love the canvas tent for reduced flap in wind and longevity (and ventilation ?) but Im suspect as to how difficult it will be by myself (I dont mind spending 1 hour max to get the tent up).

Any opinions on the two would be appreciated.
thanks, Darren
oldFisho

Re: Tent advice: Coleman Montana Vs Oztrail Chateau 10

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:09 am

Coleman have a really good reputation with tents and the nylon type ones of today are very versatile. I personally prefer canvas but I do also believe it is horses for courses. The canvas overall will require more attention whereas the nylon not so much.

If you decide on the Coleman, the best recommendation I can give is to make sure there is plenty of ventilation in the tent, lots of windows and a rear door for flow through ventilation.

Also as you have already mentioned the Coleman will also be easier for one person to handle so maybe your decision is in that thought.

Cheers Gypsy
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Ricklanga » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:31 pm

Hi Darren,

We have a Coleman Montana and absolutely love it. Have used it in heavy rain for days on end more than once and had no leaks. Last time we used it was at Inskip Point the weekend before the Queens birthday long weekend in some pretty severe weather. The ranges were warning everyone to batten down the hatches and I even had some of the local news crews interview me the day we left. The tent well and truly stood the test.

As for the price, I know there some places selling the Montana for anything up to and in excess of $800. We paid $550 for ours from BCF about 2 years ago and I know you can get them for around that from other places as well.

As for setup, I can set ours up in 1/2 hour easy without breaking a sweat. You may need someone to help pull tho fly over however.

Regards,

Richard.
It always rains on tents. Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds for the opportunity to rain on a tent.
Ricklanga
Post Machine!

Postby oldFisho » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:36 pm

Thanks for the thoughts.
Yes, Im leaning towards the coleman now just for the weightsavings - both in transport on the roofracks and in handling it myself on site. I will make sure to confirm about the ventilation before I purchase - Im aware that seems one of the biggest concerns with the nylon.

Richard, thanks for that - I think you have just about sealed the decision for me then - I'll see if I can improve on the price somewhere else.

thanks again.
oldFisho

Postby haywas » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:16 pm

Hey Richard,

I've got a montana 12, which on our first trip caved in on itself in a southerly blow. We have had a great time in it since, but I was wondering how you battern it down for the bech. I've camped in canvas and have put ropes over the top, but I am a bit lost as to what to do with the Montana. Appreciate any advice you might have (or Photos).

Steve
haywas

Postby Ricklanga » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:37 pm

No photos sorry Steve, but I simply ran out every guy rope on the tent and pegged them down with sand pegs. We did also have a tarp over which probably helped I guess. apparantly the wind was gusting at 90km an hour that night and I don't doubt it either. We were amongst some trees that would have broken the worsed of the wind but it was still fairly severe.

--
Richard.
It always rains on tents. Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds for the opportunity to rain on a tent.
Ricklanga
Post Machine!

Postby Pebble » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:17 pm

Hi Darren,

We recently went from a camper trailer back to tents (changed 4x4 to smaller car etc etc). Anyway have you thought of getting something like a couple of 3 man hiking tents?
We just brought 2 DMH Derwents, one for us and one for the kids (kids are nearly 4yrs and nearly 6yrs). Anyway set up on my own took less than half an hour to do both tents. Of course it means setting up a tarp or something in bad weather (to cook under etc) - hubby is thinking of one of those gazebo things but I'm not so sure.
Pebble

Postby haywas » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:40 pm

Thanks Richard,

I always throw all the ropes out. I have a smaller tarp that we cook under etc, but I might upgrade to a larger one and put over the tent and have an area for cooking. I guess in a big bloww I could always drop the poles on the tarp so that it sat on the tent and pulled it down a bit that way. Mind you, I hope to not get hit by a front as bad as the last one!!

Thanks for your help.
Steve
haywas

Return to Gear Guide