How did you get into camping?

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Have always gone camping
62%
My partner was into it
8%
Our friends were campers
15%
We were looking for cheap holidays away
5%
Something we saw on tv or read about
No votes
Little voices in my head told me to go camping
10%

Total votes : 39

Postby Troyk » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:42 pm

It was a long drive home tonight and I was thinking how and when I got into camping. The answer is pretty much I don't know, as I have always been camping.

So how did others get into camping.

Here is a photo taken around 1970, camping at Tallebudgera Creek on the Gold Coast. In the photo from left is my uncle, mother and grandparents, and of course the young tike is me. Back then we had a canvas tent, with timber poles and no floor. It was about 12' x 12'. We use to sleep on on heshion beds wih timber frames. I am actually not sure how my father got all the gear in the back of the car.

The tent you can see belonged to my grandparents as they had deluxe model with the screen walls. :mrgreen:

Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Re: How did you get into camping?

Postby Al&Sharon » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:55 pm

ah Troy you havnt changed just got bigger, I got into camping just so the boys could get away from home and do some fishing it was just a tent and sleeping bag a small cooker, then when we came to aus it just seemed the right thing to do with the family to enjoy the glorious weather and places, so went from tent to trailer to windup.Alan
Al&Sharon
Post Machine!

Postby cruiser » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:53 pm

As far back as i remember my parent's always took us camping :cheers
cruiser
Camping Veteran

Postby ChallengeLee » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:35 pm

My dad used to take my brothers on occasion when we were younger, l only went the once and swore l'd never go camping again.
Till a few years back when l went camping with my brother and sister in law to Straddie and l got bitten by the bug, l learnt everything l know from my sis in law who has been camping all her life. Now l have everything l need and would take camping over any sort of other holiday l could have...l just love it and wish l had of got into before my man/child became a man/child.
:armsup :armsup
ChallengeLee
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:01 am

Well I think you guys who have camped as children are the lucky ones as I was never fortunate enough to have that experience.

My first camping trip some 20+ years ago and the story is still often told and has most people who now know me as a camperholic scratching their heads as they find it hard to believe.

I have probably crammed more in to that 20+ years then a lot of people do in a lifetime of camping but it still does not change the fact that I was a latent starter.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Redback » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:45 am

Mine was none of the above, i started because of the old man, he used to take me out with him when he went mustering, we camped out with only a bed role under a canvas tarp.

Then later when i was living in Belmont (Hunter region) i used to campout down on the shores of Lake Macquarie, then when i started riding and touring on motorbikes, the best option was camping, just so happens the missus was into bikes and camping so it has just progressed from there really.

I have too say, the amount of stuff we take away now is amazing, when you consider we used to do the same thing on a motorbike :roll:

Baz.
01 Discovery TD5 Locked & Lifted & Redback Country Camper Trailer
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.
Peter Lalor
Redback
Blatant Padder

Postby wragee » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:18 am

Well hubbys family have always been very big campers. The first one I went to was at Middle Creek Agnes Waters and was hooked. That was 7years ago. We have been making it back up there at least 4 times a year. We are now trying new places recomended by fellow campers. But will always keep Middle Creek as a favoutrite.
Carol
Ca't get enough camping.
wragee
Captain Camping

Postby Beagle » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:14 pm

My camping started when I was a boy scout. Loved it and went on every opportunity. After that did not do any as SWMBO was not interested at all. Many many years of sowing seeds finally paid off in mid 90s when some friends suggested a weekend camp and she liked it. Then did a little tent camping until buying a campertrailer at beginning of 07. Now she is almost as happy as me to go camping but like me likes bush camping far greater than CP camping
Beagle
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:32 pm

Beagle wrote: Now she is almost as happy as me to go camping but like me likes bush camping far greater than CP camping

Oh and don't I agree with that one too Beagle, bush camping far surpasses any CP that I can come up with. Wide open campgrounds are pretty good too.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby shell68 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:52 pm

My Husband camped with a large group of families as a child.

I did not have a strong family unit as a child and always envied my friends who were always away camping and who adored spending time with their parents and vice versa.

I always said that when I had children, I would get them into camping as everyone I talk to has the fondest memories camping as children.

I am not a sporty or outdoorsy person in any way, but we are going for our first trip in October and I am as excited as the kids!
shell68
Boy Scout

Postby amanda » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:08 pm

My first camping trip, so I'm told, was to Aireys Inlet (Vic) at the ripe od age of 5 weeks. Most family holidays that I can remember were camping ones. There were a few non-camping holidays in there, but they just never seem to stand out in my memory like the old tent days do.
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt - then it's bloody hilarious!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:10 pm

I don't know I got into it really.

I really only remember 2 camping trips when I was a kid. After I got my P's though some older friends asked me if I wanted to join them camping and I did. Been hooked ever since. But I've always like outdoorsy stuff so camping was just a natural progression I think.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Poodle Jewel » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:02 pm

Living in Murwillumbah so close to many national parks we did lots of weekend bush walking,but would come home at the end of the day.I worked at Coles in my 20`s and one of the girls there invited me camping with her friends,they were real bushies taking backpacks and compass and bush bashing it on foot until they found a place they liked,they all married and had kids, i didn`t so continued camping on my own to this day.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Frilly » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:30 pm

My first camping trip was when I went to Maroon for Year 12 and we spent 4 days and 3 nights backpacking around and up Mt Barney. One terrifying night we had not reached our campsite until 8pm and a friend walked all the way backwards, holding his flashlight at my feet so I wasn't scared! Thank you Mark! The next trip I took was 15 years later to Booloomba Creek with my Environmental Studies class when I was doing Adult Tertiary Preparation. That's when the real bug bit me and I have been camping ever since...
The story of my life is about back entrances, side doors, secret elevators and other ways of getting in and out of places so that people won't bother me.
Frilly
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:46 am

What great stories PJ and Frilly, very interesting reading.

Oh and BTW Frilly.....weren't you the spoilt one?? And I agree, good on Mark, what a lovely young man he must have been or totally besotted by you!!
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Next

Return to Camping Tips and Locations