Over the top - Pth to Bris

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Over the top - Pth to Bris

Postby Antz » Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:54 pm

My wife and I are undertaking a 1 mth adventure and leaving tall buildings in Perth to go over the top of Oz to Brisbane by car - never done this before! Does anyone have any ideas of good places to stop e.g. good views, nice camping places etc. We have the Camps Oz 3 book but would like some suggestions. :grin:
Thanks.
Antz

Postby Kramer » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:43 am

Have you got a 4WD at all? And what time of year are you going to do this?
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby Scolers » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:58 am

And do you want to stick to the coast of WA or go thrugh some of the desert regions?

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Attention Kramer and Scolers

Postby Antz » Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:47 pm

Thanks Kramer and Scolers.

We are intending to go in 4 weeks time.
Yes 4WD but no desert tracks, I am frightend when tall buildings are out of sight and due to my wife's cooking skills or lack thereof I need to stay close to Coles and other luxury food outlets :***

Have a surfboard, camera and love camping so want to stay as close as poss to see the ocean on our one way trip.

Antz
Antz

Postby Kramer » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:52 am

Well it will be a good time of year for it as there hasn't been too much rain up there for nearly a month, but there isn't much in the way of facilities for food in some of those regions, but if you have a fishing rod the barra are plentiful :armsup . 4 Weeks isn't a lot of time to go all the way round as that is half of Australia you are travelling, maybe another 4 weeks added on so you can enjoy yourself more, packing up and moving each day is a pain. Scolers can help you with whats on the western side of Aus I know most of the Eastern side of QLD.

What would be nice is to have a virtual whiteboard with a map of aus on it so we can mark where places are like servo's with grocery lines etc to help out a little more, maybe we could incorperate google earth or something in the forum?
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby Scolers » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:31 pm

WOuld have to re-iterate Kramer's advice re the time. Four weeks would get me to 80 mile Beach (roughly halfway between Port Headland and Perth) and that's about it.

SOunds like you want to stick to the coast ... in which case (time depending) I'd go to:

Kalbarri (maybe first stop)
Canarvon (short stay)
Exmouth/ Coral Bay (you need at least 4 days here just to soak it all in)
80 Mile Beach (fish fish fish)
Broome (of course)

And then I'd turn around and come back staying at different places or dashing back to the big smoke 'cause you spent too much time at the above places.

Note that this is a basic trip. I haven't included tours from these areas but a quick chat to visitor info would glean some good info.

I really think 4 weeks is just too short to do the rest of Aus. Just know time to enjoy it all.

:-bang

Cheers ...

Scol.

Check your PM box too ... ;)
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Antz » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:44 pm

Thanks Scol and Kramer

Fish!! Oh my gawd now I have to learn how to fish as well as 4WD!! :***

I am willing to learn though....great idea about a board directory.

Will see what we can do about timeframe. It sounds like there is a lot to see.

Planning our trip now and have included all the spots you mentioned.

Will keep on with the emails while we are travelling. Are there plenty of opportunities to communicate on the trip? as we might need some advice along the way.

Thanks again.

Cheers
Antz
P.S. whats check your PM box mean?
Antz

Postby Scolers » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:54 am

PM = Private Message Box

Up the top underneath the Camping site sign you'll see "You have one message". Click on that.

Enjoy!

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Return to Camping Tips and Locations