New To Camping

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

New To Camping

Postby Woodsy » Sun May 07, 2006 3:57 pm

I am currently in the process of organising a camping trip for my gf and some family. We are yet to buy a tent but i am still looking for a good camp spot out of the way of the hustle and bustle towards the blue mountains area. Can people give me a basic run down of all the equipment we will need for such a trip? Being only for a weekend. So far we have afew things on the list to buy.

*Tent (Ofcourse)
*Tarps
*Ropes
*Water enough for a weeks stay
*Food
*Esky
*Sleeping bags
*Pillows
*Torch
*Small axe(Just In Case)
*Shovel
*Matches or Lighter
*First Aid Kit
*Fuel Stove
*Knife

Any help is appreciated!

Cheers

Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sun May 07, 2006 7:14 pm

Ok, first of all, what sort of camping do you want to do? Stay in a caravan/camping park, or out in the bush sumwhere? Since you said "away from the hustle and bustl" i'll assume you're looking for the latter. Here's a link to my review of Newnes State Forest, a huge, free bush area to camp and play in. There are many other state forests in/around the Blue Mtns Nat Park but this is the only one i've stayed in so far. If you'd like any more info on this are just ask, i've been there atleast 10 times now.
viewtopic.php?t=255 -

Now for your list, well, its very limited, if you wanted to list EVERYTHING you where to take you could easily fill a page, or two. Basically, in addition to the essentials you listed you need to take everything :shock: , even the kitchen sink :wink: - which is usually just a bucket, and scourer.

So here's my 'list':

*Tent (Ofcourse)
*Tarps
*Ropes
*Water enough for a weeks stay - For two people, for a weekend, about 20L should do it, probly take 30 to be safe. But if your not going somewhere really secluded its not a huge issue.
*Food
*Esky - If your taking frozen meat, and other perishables keep in mind that a traditional esky will only keep with frozen for about a day, or two if your lucky. But the BM's are cold this time of year, especially at night
*Sleeping bags - Again, i was at Lithgow 3 weeks ago, we had frost in the morning, get a warm sleeping bag :lol:
*Pillows
*Torch
*Small axe(Just In Case) - If you plan on having a campfire its a necessity, a big one and a small one would be better
*Shovel
*Matches or Lighter - Take both
*First Aid Kit
*Fuel Stove
*Knife - Knives, and forks, and spoons, and any other kitchen equipment you'd need - pots, pans, grille etc. Think about what your going to cook, and how your going to cook it. It's a long walk back to the pantry :lol:

*Lighting, not just a torch. Gas bottle with lantern attachments are invaluabe around the campsite
*Mattress. Sleeping on the ground is not fun without padding. Try before you buy too, some of those glorified yoga mats that places try to pass off as camping mattresses are useless
*Bucket for washing up
*Soap - hand/dish
*Jerrycan of fuel - just in case
*Map of the area you are going to, topographics are best.
*Camping table/chairs.

Boxes/cases/crates are great for storing stuff in, as once your in the bush it gets annoying if all you have is the tent with stuff strewn all over the place.

Thats all i can think of right now but i'll add to it if i remember anything else. Best advice is not to take too much, but makes sure you take everything you'll need... dunno how else to put it, but the 1st time i went camping i forgot many of the basics like forks, plates, chair etc, nothing seriouse just irritating. And take plenty of food - you get hungrier camping. Try and avoid tinned food, its crap, if you can cook there do it, it'll be heaps better. And take munchies for when your sitting around the fire :mrgreen:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Scolers » Sun May 07, 2006 7:57 pm

I don't think I can add much more to what Ozzy has said (I reckon he was in the Scouts) although you might want to add a carton of fine ale in there somehwere.

:)

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Woodsy » Sun May 07, 2006 9:10 pm

Thanks for the informative replies. I think we will make that place our first trip. Does it get very busy at all?

Cheers

Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sun May 07, 2006 10:48 pm

Scolers wrote:I don't think I can add much more to what Ozzy has said (I reckon he was in the Scouts) although you might want to add a carton of fine ale in there somehwere.

:)

Scol.

Hmm, yeah, I forgot the most important thing :oops: - although with the seasonal temperature drop, i've traded my ale in for a Turkey :wink:
But no, i've never been in the scouts, I dislike most organised, red-tape related activities.... all my camping knowledge is self taught + what I've read - learn from the mistakes of other I reckon, beats making your ownImage

TUFF wrote:Thanks for the informative replies. I think we will make that place our first trip. Does it get very busy at all?

Cheers

Josh

Depends how you mean busy. The actuall forest will have ALOT of people in it on any given weekend, and plenty of motorbikes especially on long weekends. But the fact is that its sooo damn huge you can quite easily find a secluded place to yourself... but you have to look :wink: If you have a topographic map, I could probly point you in the right direction of two specific 'spots' that i've stayed at, where i've harldy seen anyone else. Or you can just choose your own adventure and go exploring, but get maps either way, it is possible to get lost in there.
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

new to camping

Postby gottogo2 » Mon May 22, 2006 5:51 pm

Check out http://www.exploroz.com
it has a very good list of all the things you would need.
Its interesting that you should ask the question that you have, as i am in the process of putting together a rig that I can travel Australia without spending huge money, I am documenting the whole process as a book I am just about fully set up, it has been an interesting challenge and I have learnt a lot.
I could share the story so far if you thought it may be a help.
having fun
Ross
gottogo2

Postby Woodsy » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:50 pm

Thanks for all your help. Haven't gone camping yet only got back from QLD today so now i have to find a good quality tent and gear then i am ready to go camping!

Cheers

Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:37 pm

TUFF wrote:Thanks for all your help. Haven't gone camping yet only got back from QLD today so now i have to find a good quality swag and case of beer then i am ready to go camping!

Cheers

Josh

ImageImageImageImage :mrgreen:
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Woodsy » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:10 pm

It has been a while but i finally bought a Tent! It is a 8 man 2 room tent with a pergola at the front. Haven't taken it out of the box yet but she should be big enough for our needs. I am going to try and con my gf into going to the Newnes State Forest for our first camping trip to see how we go. I have a army issue sleeping bag so warmth is not a problem. Are camp fires permitted? We have been given a bunch of old camping gear from my gf's parents so that is a bonus. Once a new motor and gearbox go into my car we will head out there. Has anyone had any problems with theft at this park? I plan on locking everything away at night in the tent as it is big enough for all our stuff ( i'm hoping ). I am going to make some stands out of angle iron for our small citronella lamps placed around the site.

We are beginners at camping i haven't been camping for around 12 years!
I know that we should lay down some tarps on the ground and pin them down then put the tent on them and i have been told to put a cover over the tent? like a large fly? Feel free to throw help my way as we will need it! Maybe if someone has a pic of a full setup that would help a bunch to!

Cheers

Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby stevo. » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:11 pm

This is the list i say to myself while i'm packing the car.

1. Transport - car
2. Tools to fix the broken car
3. Alcohol - Beer, sometimes Rum or Bourbon
4. Sleeping - Sleeping Bag
5. Food - food
6. Shelter - Swag or tent

easy :grin:
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Camping essentials

Postby gqpatrol » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:15 am

I can't believe no one has mentioned it yet. :shock: TOILET PAPER!!!! :shock: Even if toilets are supplied, some of them don't always have toilet paper. We always have a spare roll or two in the back of the car anyway. Happy camping! :grin:
gqpatrol
Captain Camping

Time

Postby gqpatrol » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:16 am

This time thing is wronger than before.
gqpatrol
Captain Camping

Postby amanda » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:08 am

I always have to have tea towels, a thin rope to use as a clothes line, and a handful of pegs. Cork screw and wine glasses also an essential!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Kramer » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:03 am

I would suggest putting the tent up at home first and become familiar (sp?) with it, it will help to stop fights at the campsite when putting it up!

A cover or fly over the tent isn't that necessary as most modern tents are very water proof unless there is huge amounts of rain. Also is the tent canvas? if so it will need to be put up in the back yard and watered down to make it waterproof.

Fires are permitted in QLD state forests, not to sure of NSW.

A tarp on the ground is a good idea, you then can brush all the sand and dirt off and it won't go into your tent. (women hate to sleep with sand in the bed!).

Most of all don't stress if you have left something at home as it will make for a better story when you get back ie, we had to eat baked beans out of cups cause i forgot the plates (I have done tha before :oops: ).
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:08 pm

What material is a fly made out of? I want a fairly large one i want to keep my car under cover and out of the weather.

Cheers

Josh
Site Admin

Next

Return to Camping Tips and Locations