Just arrived too

Come on in and tell us a little bit about yourself, your community, opinions, interests and ideas. Comments and tips are always welcome consider this social networking for the rest of us.

Just arrived too

Postby Jo&Kev » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:26 am

Hi All

We have just arrived here too! We head off in the old 60 Series Landcruiser, and the home away is a big 2 room dome tent.

Found the boards when planning for the next trip. We are heading from home (Yass, NSW) up to see friends in Gladstone. Heading up inland and back down the coast. Started having a look over the gear yesterday. The trip is about 3 weeks away.

Take care
Kevin and Jo
Our blog - with bigger pics!
http://actnswcamping.blogspot.com/
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Re: Just arrived too

Postby Troyk » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:39 am

Welcome Kev and Jo :armsup

Have a good time on your trip. There are quite a few qlders on the forum so if you are looking for info around that part of the world ask away.
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:09 pm

Hi Kevin and Jo and WELCOME to the forum. Looks like you have a planned trip ready to action. How long do you anticipate this trip will take??

Would love to hear what you have planned for the trip and more about your great old 60 series Cruiser.

What a great old workhorse these vehicles are and how enduring they have become.

Cheers Gypsy
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby amanda » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:32 am

Where are you planning to stop along the way?
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt - then it's bloody hilarious!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Activity_Dept » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:28 pm

Hello Jo&Kev and welcome aboard.

:hello:
The admin guy.
Discover Camping
Activity_Dept
Site Admin

Postby Jo&Kev » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:26 am

Hi all,

Planning is something Jo has told me I am not allowed to do, other than to find places that we want to see, and the day we leave and get back. We have two weeks (NSW school holidays) and a couple of spare days.

So the 'not plan' is to leave Yass and go up to Gladstone inland via Dubbo, Narrabri, Moree, Miles and then across to Gladstone. Once we have seen friends there we plan heading down to 1770, Noosa (sister), Brisbane (friends), Grafton (parents) then 'exploring' on the way back to Yass.

I guess some of the expected highlights will be Sawn Rock at Narrabri, along with the radiotelescope array, hot springs at Moree and a visit to the town of Banana (over the QLD border somewhere from memory.) 1770 should be cool - Jo has never been out onto the reef and I'm told there are some good tour operators there.

The poor old landcruiser will hate me I think. It is an 83 60 Series, LPG only, driving lights, UHF CB, and some 'tricky' wiring to the back so we can run the 3-way fridge. Its been blown up, had the engine (and engine accessories) replaced, suspension rebuilt so she is ready to roll. It gets me to Canberra and back daily for work and we have taken it for adventures to places like Jindabyne (in Summer) for a camping trip, back through the Snowy Mountain Highway to Tumut and then along through Wee Jasper to Yass. I love it - Jo hates it - reckons with the money I have spent on it I could have bought a better one.

So that's us and the 'not plans.'

I'm warming to the idea of the 'not planned' trip from a where we going to stop point of view but we are checking the gear and the vehicle. Don't really like the idea of 'bad things' happening. Camping is often not seen as indulgence, but I don't see why... If said 'bad things' don't happen that's what it is for us. An indulgent exploration.

Cheers
Kevin
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:04 am

Hi Kevin..I am sure if you have looked after the old girl she will serve you well.

They are one of the best Toyotas ever made I am sure though I must admit I do not know much about the LPG. The one in my back yard is a diesel and she has never let me down yet short of spitting a few lifters out the side of the block one time on the way home from LCMP.

Not pretty but fortunately the turbo and every thing haning off the block was undamaged. Am pretty convinced that when the motor was rebuilt the cam was not pre stressed and it was the cam that gave way.

Purchased another block and put her back together again and she still purrs....

You will definitely enjoy the hot spring at Moree at the Gwydir CP, they are better than the public one in town.

Have a great trip Kevin and I look forward to hearing all when you return.

Cheers Gypsy...
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Poodle Jewel » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:27 am

While at Narrabri have a drive up to Mt Caputa. all the wild flowers will be out now,there is i believe 42 species of wattle,no good for hay fever, it is a few years since i went there but being a National park i guess things are pretty much the same.Enjoy your "Unplanned " trip.I love that :***
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby wragee » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:33 pm

Glad to hear Mt Caputar is doing so well. Got burnt very badly 2yrs ago. I went down fron Bunday area to fight fires down on the Piliga and mates were up the mountains. I am really happy to hear all is good down there.
Carol
Ca't get enough camping.
wragee
Captain Camping

Postby Jo&Kev » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:57 am

Hi Gypsy

I think the trust old Cruiser will be OK now. The previous owner was a bit shy when it came to service and maintenance. but now that the hard work has been done we should be able to keep her on the road for a few more years.

The LPG only I thought would be a good idea. Having had her for 12 months or so now I am a bit dubious. Dual fuel or a second LPG tank would be much better. The range on a single 90 litre tank of LPG is fairly ordinary.

Cheers
Kevin
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:10 am

LPG will limit you somewhat as far as your travels go but I do believe there is a website that lists all available outlets for LPG

A second choice is always an advantage IMO but as that is not an option here you make the most of what is available.

Have a great holiday Kevin.

Cheers Gypsy
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Return to Introductions: