Ground Sheets for Under a Tent

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Ground Sheets for Under a Tent

Postby deberg » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:39 am

Anyone got an opinion on what type of ground sheet is better for under the tent? (Yes, this could be a contentious issue, sorry for that). We purchased foam squares from Kmart but they are too bulky to take with us. Been looking on-line and some people swear by Tarps and others by Shade Cloth.

So, before I go and spend more money on my ever growing camping supplies, I thought I would ask for some input from the veteran campers out there.

:cheers:
deberg
Boy Scout

Re: Ground Sheets for Under a Tent

Postby amanda » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:49 am

There was a discussion about this a while back. I think you'll find the conversation turns to what to put under your tent on the second page of this thread: viewtopic.php?f=65&t=2695&hilit=shade+cloth
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt - then it's bloody hilarious!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Poodle Jewel » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:56 am

I use a tarp the main thing is have it a few inches smaller than your tent so if it rains the water gets away,other wise you will have a pool between the tarp and tent floor.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:12 am

If you must have something then I recommend you use shade cloth.

When I was tenting many years ago I always used plastic or tarp under the tent only to find that water, condensation etc would still build up between the tent floor and the tarp. I would still have to wipe it off before packing it up.

Also had a situation with my mum and her little tent where I put a tarp under and again when it rained the water backed up and she ended up with water inside the tent.

Some of the tent floors are not as waterproof as we expect so when you have them sitting in a pool of water, there is only one place for the water to go.

Cheers...
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby deberg » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:25 pm

Thanks folks. Appreciate the feedback. Happy camping
deberg
Boy Scout

Postby ben... » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:55 am

+1 for shade cloth here, i use a oversize peice so i have a "sand floor" when i step into the tent. I use a similar idea now in the annex of my CT.
ben...
Post Machine!

Postby J`CRUISER » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:31 am

+1 for shade cloth. after much looking around myself i went with this option. we mainly camp on sand type bases.
J`CRUISER
Captain Camping

Postby Teabag » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:00 pm

I'm another for Shade Cloth. The benefits it has over Tarps leaves the tarps for dead when it comes to this use.......
2006 GU4 4.2TDi Patrol with 2005 Limited Edition Kimberley Kamper and plenty of goodies.

http://www.4wdmonthly.com.au/shed/index.php?id=1003
Teabag
Captain Camping

Postby Beau » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:07 pm

Definatly Shade cloth is brilliant, also that black weed barrier matting you can get from bunnings etc is brilliant, and cheaper than shadecloth.

edit: it is really important to make sure the footprint of the tarp/shadcloth what ever is smaller than the tent footprint, you dont want it bigger or it will channel water straight into the floor and you could end up with an unwanted waterbed! :***
We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home, in towns and cities. -Nessmuk
Beau
Camping King

Postby wragee » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:46 pm

We use shade cloth that i have doubled up and i have sown 2 sides so that there is the fold and 2 sides sown so that you can shake out and sand between the 2. Works great.
Carol
Ca't get enough camping.
wragee
Captain Camping

Return to Gear Guide