folding CT back up??

General Discussion, tips and questions and answer on Camper Trailers. Buy and sell below in Vehicles for Sale.

folding CT back up??

Postby madcamper » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:39 pm

Hi guys, We have just brought a 12ft CT and have used it only once. (no instuctions)... We seem to be having a bit of trouble getting it all back together neatly. Seems to be too bulkly. Im sure, no, I know, we must be doing something wrong. Im also sure that in the long run, we will learn as we go.. Just wondering if anyone has got any tips or advise on folding them back properly as im sure there is a technicque to it. We have no troubles with the setup side of it. Any advise will be appreciated.... Thanks jackie
madcamper
Camping King

Re: folding CT back up??

Postby Troyk » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:29 pm

Jackie,

I assume you have a softfloor under a tonneau cover? One tip without looking at, it is to make sure that the canvas is folded neatly between the frame arms. As you close it up run your hand down betweent the arms to get it nice and neat. The key is to fold it up like a nice pressed shirt.

I have a look around as i have my instructions for mine (which is a Modcon) but the principles are the same.
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby cruiser » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:10 pm

I agree Troy,under the 3 frames(I assume that's what you have)is take your time and fold it like it was a Christmas present on the end's.Well that's the theory with ours. :cheers
cruiser
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:32 am

I also have a ModCon and Kerry told me not to fold it in the same way each time, yes neatly but not the same way. In fact if you go down to their showroom or any display at any show you will see that seldom are they folded in exactly the same folds every time.

If you fold it in the same fold lines each time you will get fold marks on the canvas. Now I don't know if this will compromise the intregrity of the canvas in any way or if it is just a visual thing.

As each frame drops down you do need to make sure the excess canvas is pushed back into the centre of the bed area between the overhead frames, that is definitely the secret.

The overall principal is the same, it is just the specifics of the folds that I disagree on.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby madcamper » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:24 am

Thanks guys, Yes it is a soft floor one. It sounds like we have the jist of it, but just need a little more practice. I struggle with lifting the 2 big 'arms' up and over the bed area. I have the solution..... more camping & more camping till I get it right!! jackie
madcamper
Camping King

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:42 pm

Jackie, are you able to climb up on the side of the camper at all??

If so then my suggestion is to do this, grab hold of the canvas and then pull the canvas back over the camper by leaning back and using you body weight.

I, like a lot of women have little strength in my upper body and this is what I have done quite successfully for a number of years.

Cheers GL....
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Return to Camper Trailers