Camping Etiquette

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Camping Etiquette

Postby OzeBoy » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:42 am

I was just wondering if people could share some camping ettiquette (is that the right word) and likes and dislikes etc. Would be great to get ideas and learn from eachother in this respect.

Things such as:

1) Not liking people chopping wood before the campgrounds are alive with activity or at least awake.

2) playing electronic music 'loudly' across the campgrounds when you've gone away for some peace and quiet and the sounds of nature.

It would help us all especially the newer people to the forum. I'm not sure if there's already a post like this. Couldn't find one.
OzeBoy
Camping King

Re: Camping Etiquette

Postby Redback » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:11 am

Good question, respecting other campers is the prime thing for me, i look at it this way.

I don't do what i don't like, too other campers around me.

1) I don't make noise when camping around others, (ie) no load music, chainsaw wood, chop wood, run a generator.

2) I keep my distance when walking around the camping area and never walk through someone elses camp.

My all time pet peeve is someone playing music that can be heard all over the camping area, what makes someone think that i want too hear their music, if i wanted too hear music i'd play my bloody own :shock: :twisted: :twisted:

I collect firewood and bring it back too camp already cut and split too size.

For us, we tend too find places where the size of the campsite will only fit our group, this way we won't bother anyone and we won't have others bothering us, which makes for a much more peaceful weekend.

Baz.
01 Discovery TD5 Locked & Lifted & Redback Country Camper Trailer
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.
Peter Lalor
Redback
Blatant Padder

Postby amanda » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:34 am

Excellent topic! I agree with everything Redback said, especially in regards to the music and generators.

When camping anywhere with shower facilities, get in, soap up, rinse off, get out. A camp toilet block isn't the place to take a long shower. I also think that young children need to be supervised when using the facilities.

If using camp kitchen facilities, always make sure it is left clean and tidy for the next person to use. Same goes for laundry facilities.

Maintain "walking speed only" when driving vehicles through the camp area. Not only are kids out and about playing and not mindful of traffic, speeding vehicles tend to throw a mountain of dust over each camp as they pass.

If bins are not provided, always take your rubbish with you.
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt - then it's bloody hilarious!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:14 pm

I have to agree with all the above...children should definitley be supervised when using the amenities block....especially the showers.

Loud music is definitely another no, no...I want to go camping to get away from all that sort of noise. I want to hear the birds chatter, chat with other campers or just listen to the bush or the waves if camping on the coast.

And even though I am a dog owner....the biggest beef I have is dog owners not picking up the barker eggs left by their dog/s. Nothing gets me in a tizz more than that and of course add to that...barking dogs.

Kids and or adults playing ball near my camp or vehicle is another one that disturbs me. Get out and play in the open space, not around or near the camps and vehicles where damage can so easily occur. If you are not there then it can't happen.

BTW...great topic, thanks for raising it OzeBoy

Cheers.....
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby mr_grumble » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:33 pm

We've been to numerous places where one group arrive and collect EVERY last piece of firewood within a 5 mile walk :twisted:
Who then proceed to light the biggest fire since Ash Wednesday and end up having to sit 150m away while the rest of us sit around our 'ample' sized campfires waiting for our nylon / canvas to go up in smoke from the barrage of embers blowing our way :roll:

My other pet hate is campers that bring soooooo many lights that their campsite coult be spotted from space.

I must be getting old, everything starting to #$&@ me these days :booty
Image Image Image
mr_grumble
Post Machine!

Postby Poodle Jewel » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:05 pm

All of the above and late night loud partying,if you wish to stay up late that`s fine but tone it down.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby AussieSunset » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:27 pm

Great topic OzeBoy. Maybe a good topic to sticky in some area and mite need to shorted and sorted out a bit lol

I agree with all above.
Even though i'm a smoker i hate it when people passing or neighbouring just flick them especially on your trap or tent. I've had quite a few holes in my tarp from unconsiderate people flicking smokes like that. Butt out in a protable ashtray or a empty can or something like that.

Another is screaming kids just for the hell of it. Yup i have 4 kids(adults now) but when we were traveling full time with our kids, the amount of screaming kids was annoying. It was one of our major rules " No screaming unless you have a leg or arm hanging off" the rule worked well. :+
Life is what happens when you've made other plans. :)
AussieSunset
Blatant Padder

Postby deberg » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:25 pm

Totally agree with everything. However, I want to add a few more:

Domestic arguments :oops: . Your not at home with your thick walls, everyone can hear you!!
Getting totally wasted and making a fool of yourself. Tipping over other peoples tents and belongings because you're to drunk to walk around.
deberg
Boy Scout

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:35 pm

deberg wrote:Totally agree with everything. However, I want to add a few more:

Domestic arguments :oops: . Your not at home with your thick walls, everyone can hear you!!
Getting totally wasted and making a fool of yourself. Tipping over other peoples tents and belongings because you're to drunk to walk around.

Funnily enough their the only 2 annoyances I've ever encountered :? Apart from people camping too close to us when it was getting busy

One time at the Wattagans there was a couple there going at it like to cats trapped in a bag.

And once at mungo a group of young men got wasted and decided to get around in the nuddy :roll: Idiots

I like a bit of background music sometimes when I'm camping. Certainly not all the time though. Also like to stay up late and talk rubbish around the fire, which usually leads to random bouts of loud laughter. So I tend to camp well away from others :mrgreen:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby barnesy01 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:51 am

Agree, with all.
Nothing worse than a group of guys absolutly legless, and then proceed to hop in their cars and do donuts.

If you want to party, stay in town and go to a nightclub.

Once, there was a group camping beside us stayed up till about 4am. When we got up at 6am to go for a ski, my wife grabbed a large bucket of water and trew it all over their tent and started singing loudly.

Everyone esle around us started cheering the missus. We were at a lake, the main reason was to ski.
barnesy01
Boy Scout

Postby Redback » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:15 am

barnesy01 wrote:Agree, with all.
Nothing worse than a group of guys absolutly legless, and then proceed to hop in their cars and do donuts.

If you want to party, stay in town and go to a nightclub.

Once, there was a group camping beside us stayed up till about 4am. When we got up at 6am to go for a ski, my wife grabbed a large bucket of water and trew it all over their tent and started singing loudly.

Everyone esle around us started cheering the missus. We were at a lake, the main reason was to ski.

Image, bloody brilliant, you guys can come camping with us anytimeImage
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.
Peter Lalor
Redback
Blatant Padder

Postby Teabag » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:35 am

I think the biggest thing that annoys me is when you pull up to a camp ground or area and there is acres of space so you choose a nice quiet location as nobody else is around and somebody else drives in and set's up camp right next to you when there is miles of other space to camp......I've had this happen on so many occasions that I tend to say something now as they come in.......Shyt's me to tears.......

1. Don't mind music as long as it's not loud and not to late as I don't mind a bit of background music whilst consuming a couple of coldies.
2. Absolutly hate generators as gererally the owners are inconsiderate in their location...
3. People driving/riding motorbikes fast through camp grounds, it's an accident awaiting to happen.
4. Motorbike riders can generally be inconsiderate with their riding and noise (generalisation)....
2006 GU4 4.2TDi Patrol with 2005 Limited Edition Kimberley Kamper and plenty of goodies.

http://www.4wdmonthly.com.au/shed/index.php?id=1003
Teabag
Captain Camping

Postby Redback » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:40 pm

Teabag wrote:I think the biggest thing that annoys me is when you pull up to a camp ground or area and there is acres of space so you choose a nice quiet location as nobody else is around and somebody else drives in and set's up camp right next to you when there is miles of other space to camp......I've had this happen on so many occasions that I tend to say something now as they come in.......Shyt's me to tears.......

1. Don't mind music as long as it's not loud and not to late as I don't mind a bit of background music whilst consuming a couple of coldies.
2. Absolutly hate generators as gererally the owners are inconsiderate in their location...
3. People driving/riding motorbikes fast through camp grounds, it's an accident awaiting to happen.
4. Motorbike riders can generally be inconsiderate with their riding and noise (generalisation)....

Yep that annoys me no end as well, why do people do that :shock:
Peter Lalor
Redback
Blatant Padder

Postby Teabag » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:53 pm

quote]

Yep that annoys me no end as well, why do people do that :shock:[/quote]

Maybe they feel safe in numbers?
2006 GU4 4.2TDi Patrol with 2005 Limited Edition Kimberley Kamper and plenty of goodies.

http://www.4wdmonthly.com.au/shed/index.php?id=1003
Teabag
Captain Camping

Postby mytribe » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:53 pm

I hate those families that have a bunch of kids, and you find them running around yelling at the top of their lungs at each other...oh hang on, that's my kids. :***
Me,DH and 6 freeloading midgets..plus the furry animals
mytribe
Post Machine!

Next

Return to Camping Tips and Locations