Water proofing your Tent HELP!!!

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Water proofing your Tent HELP!!!

Postby Toylux90 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:16 am

Morning Guys,

We will be camping over the new year on north stradie, it'll be my son's :*** :# first camping trip. I was after a few trips on the best way to water proof the bottom of the tent were the stitching is, I have bought a spray can of water proofing from BCF but I'm not a 100% sure if that'll do the job.

Any help/idea's would be great.

Cheers

James
Toylux90

Re: Water proofing your Tent HELP!!!

Postby Poodle Jewel » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:53 am

I have used the spray in previous years on tents,shoes,coats and found it very good.others say to run along the stitching with a wax stick.Do the good ol` giving it a good hose 2/3 time and letting it dry completely.I always put a big tarp over my tent so it doesn`t get rained on much.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Toylux90 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:53 pm

Cheers Thanks for tip about the wax.. Do you have any pic's of your set camp set up?

James
Toylux90

Postby Poodle Jewel » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:49 am

No, i dropped my camera now it`s caput.There is a thread Show Your Camp Set Up .
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Beau » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:12 pm

Toylux90 wrote:Morning Guys,

We will be camping over the new year on north stradie, it'll be my son's :*** :# first camping trip. I was after a few trips on the best way to water proof the bottom of the tent were the stitching is, I have bought a spray can of water proofing from BCF but I'm not a 100% sure if that'll do the job.

Any help/idea's would be great.

Cheers

James

This is something I learnt many years ago.
1) get a rubber glove, any type will do
2) buy a tube of selly's silicone sealant
3) pitch your tent at home
4) really rub the sealant into the seams with the gloved fingers, get right into the fibers paying extra attention to the stitching holes. (I do this over all seams of the tent, not just some such as floor seams). wipe of any residue with a cloth. dont be gentle with this really get stuck into it.

let the tent stand and silicone dry at least 24 hrs before putting away.

Note this is a permanant seam treatment.
By doing this it will be a once in a tent lifetime stitch sealing, I have never used any nik wax, spray or other form of treatment since.
You will get a slight 'wet look' on the stitching where you have rubbed the silicone into it. but I am a believer of function over form.

hope this helps.

Ps if anyone is interested in doing this but have doubts or fears about it 'ruining a tent', feel free to test it out first on a cheap old tent or tarp something.
We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home, in towns and cities. -Nessmuk
Beau
Camping King

Return to Gear Guide