Australian Camp Oven Festival - Report

Community groups, clubs etc. tell us about yourselves, who can join, activities, post notices and events.

Moderator: amanda

Australian Camp Oven Festival - Report

Postby Derek Bullock » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:15 pm

I have just spent the weekend at the Australian Camp Oven Festival at Millmerran in south western Queensland. This festival is dedicated to the traditional method of cooking in a camp oven using traditional recipes.

There were an amazing array of camp ovens on show. The biggest being those made from truck wheel rims.

Rather than repeat what is already on my forum I will post a link here as the amount of information and photos will grow in the next few days as people from all over Australia return home.

Check it out here.

http://www.aussiecampovenforum.com/cgi- ... 191569/1#1

Cheers

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Re: Australian Camp Oven Festival - Report

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:23 pm

Thanks Derek...I was hoping that you'd post a report.

Saw one elsewhere that was pretty negative...can't remember where though.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Derek Bullock » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:00 pm

Gypsy I also heard a lot of negativities. There were over 3000 people camped there with facilities for far less than that. It was hot, it was dusty, there were flies, it was crowded, no shade for campers and tents. Blah, blah, blah, blah.

For me however, that's simply Australian. I do believe that the facilities are inadequate but for a once a year festival and not much other use for the grounds it isn't really that bad. I didn't camp but those I know did, had a great time. I went both days and thoroughly enjoyed it. I learnt a lot as well and that is what it is all about.

A guy I know went up in a helicopter and tok some photos and they should go up later in the week. They will give you some idea of how big it has gotten.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:16 pm

I went to the camp oven festival which was 4 years ago (held every second year) and thought it was pretty well attended then and the queues at the showers were pretty long.

Obviously from what you have said there have been no improvements or increase in the number of facilities available.

There was a fellow who was the MC and a fantastic bush poet but for the life of me I cannot remember his name. He was brilliant, just brilliant and it would be worth going back just to see and hear him again.

I did consider going again this year but had other committments the weekends either side so decided to give it a miss.

Thanks again for your comments.

Cheers....
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Return to Groups & Activities