Water Sources

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Water Sources

Postby jayel05 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:07 pm

Hello all,

I am a university student studying industrial design at UNSW and am in the process of designing a solar disinfection unit to disinfect water. It uses the sun's UV rays and infrared (heat) to kill bacteria and other harmful stuff in the water.

I would like to know where campers obtain their drinking water and whether or not you would use a purifying process before drinking this water. I understand that creeks and rivers are options but does anyone collect their water from these sources for drinking, and if taps are available, would you trust the water that comes out?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks.
jayel05

Re: Water Sources

Postby Komodo » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:34 pm

I think you will find most of us take water with us - unless on extended trips. And even then most of us take water with us and restock at known good sources.

On the other hand I have thought about setting up a water distiller using a modified pressure cooker and a gas ring burner.
Some caravans have reverse ozmosis filtration systems as well.

What sort of advantages are you looking for by using solar?
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:07 pm

Like Komodo said, most people pretty much carry water with them.....

On a couple of my outback trips I have at times filled the tank on the camper from a tap (town or rain water) when fueling up. If I run low on drinking water I re stock with bottled water.

In the outback, water is probably more precious than fuel so one tends to carry a reasonable amount of it.

Cheers....
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Komodo » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:36 pm

The other thing is that most solar stills are unbearably slow at generating any quantity of drinkable water - particularly for a group of people.

And UV from my understanding requires a reasonably large amount of power or long contact periods - so one can only imagine that if using UV from the sun then again you would be faced with a similar problem to that of a solar still.

Where as proven methods such as a pressure cooker distiller are fairly easy to put together and the pressure cooker can normally double as a std cooking vessel any way thus eliminating carrying extra gear - as it is most of us when touring are fairly heavily loaded.
A place I'd rather be...
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:08 pm

Also what sort of gear would one need to carry and what size would this solar still be??
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:08 pm

I always take them with me. Well, not that exact brand.

They have been riding around in my glove box now for quite some time. Still haven't used them Though I have drunk out of a river/stream many times. If its flowing and there's no dead animals in sight, she's good :lol:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Troyk » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:15 pm

jayel05 wrote:Hello all,

I am a university student studying industrial design at UNSW and am in the process of designing a solar disinfection unit to disinfect water. It uses the sun's UV rays and infrared (heat) to kill bacteria and other harmful stuff in the water.

I would like to know where campers obtain their drinking water and whether or not you would use a purifying process before drinking this water. I understand that creeks and rivers are options but does anyone collect their water from these sources for drinking, and if taps are available, would you trust the water that comes out?

Thanks.

To clarify are are are talking about disinfection not distilation

What are you doing to filter the water prior to disinfection? The reason is that you need to get your turbidity down to very low levels possibly below 0.1 NTU, otherwise you will getting shadowing from particulate matter and the disinfection process will not work. As well the nasties like crypto and giardia tend to attach themselves to the particulate matter.

UNSW has a pretty good water and wastewater engineering section. i suggest you you seek their advice on some of the engineering principles of what you are trying to do.

In saying that your concept is sound :armsup
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby Komodo » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:06 am

Correct troy from my understanding jayel05 wants to make something like this http://www.uvta.com.au/products-mobile-drinksafe.htm but using the sun as the source of UV and IR instead of generating UV and IR using electricity
A place I'd rather be...
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Troyk » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:11 pm

Komodo, Interesting unit.
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby Beau » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:32 pm

jayel05 wrote:Hello all,

Thanks.

I have taken water from some pretty manky rainwater tanks when there was no alternative .
All I did is put the water into a rolling boil, let it cool then run it through a brita jug filter.
I think it worked fine, certainly no smell discolouration or bad taste from it.
and no belly aches ::)
We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home, in towns and cities. -Nessmuk
Beau
Camping King

Return to Camping Tips and Locations