Howqua Hills Historic Area Vic

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Howqua Hills Historic Area Vic

Postby New_to_this » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:20 pm

What about here?
Looks like its free camping along the river, toilets at different spots.
New_to_this
Camping King

Re: Howqua Hills Historic Area Vic

Postby Redback » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:21 am

Yes all free, can get crowded, Fry's Flat is the largest, Sheepyard Flat is next, Noonans Flat, Tunnel Spur Flat, Davons Flat and Pickerings Flat, we've camped along here 3 times now, the first 2 times were good albeit very crowded the last time we were there, we had ferals camped next too us, playing loud country music, we moved to Pickering Flat, a tad less crowded and quieter, would i camp there again, yes, but not in the school holidays.

All the high country huts are free to camp at as well, one that is near Howqua is Razorback Hut, then there is Binderee Hut campsite and many more places in the area too camp.

This is a good reference for looking at
http://maps.bonzle.com/c/a?a=p&x=146.471286637396&y=-37.0736073620495&w=20000&h=20000&i=554&j=554&p=7108&pp=7108&fc=1#map

Baz.
01 Discovery TD5 Locked & Lifted & Redback Country Camper Trailer
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.
Peter Lalor
Redback
Blatant Padder

Postby Lost Man » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:49 pm

Redback wrote:Yes all free, can get crowded, Fry's Flat is the largest, Sheepyard Flat is next, Noonans Flat, Tunnel Spur Flat, Davons Flat and Pickerings Flat, we've camped along here 3 times now, the first 2 times were good albeit very crowded the last time we were there, we had ferals camped next too us, playing loud country music, we moved to Pickering Flat, a tad less crowded and quieter, would i camp there again, yes, but not in the school holidays.

All the high country huts are free to camp at as well, one that is near Howqua is Razorback Hut, then there is Binderee Hut campsite and many more places in the area too camp.

http://maps.bonzle.com/c/a?a=p&x=146.471286637396&y=-37.0736073620495&w=20000&h=20000&i=554&j=554&p=7108&pp=7108&fc=1#map

Baz.

I was going to check these areas out last year, but the whole area went up in bush fires. do you know if it would have recovered yet?
Lost Man
Camping King

Postby Redback » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:49 pm

Lost Man wrote:
Redback wrote:Yes all free, can get crowded, Fry's Flat is the largest, Sheepyard Flat is next, Noonans Flat, Tunnel Spur Flat, Davons Flat and Pickerings Flat, we've camped along here 3 times now, the first 2 times were good albeit very crowded the last time we were there, we had ferals camped next too us, playing loud country music, we moved to Pickering Flat, a tad less crowded and quieter, would i camp there again, yes, but not in the school holidays.

Baz.

I was going to check these areas out last year, but the whole area went up in bush fires. do you know if it would have recovered yet?

Yes it has, we were there last year, had a look at Razorback, Binderee, Lower Jamison, King, Bluff and Frys Huts and a few more, the area around Dargo was the worst affected, some hasn't quite come back, Grant historic area is still recovering or was when we were there, the cemetery was almost completely distroyed.

Howqua is pretty good and only has some evidence of the fires.
This was what the Dargo area looked like
This was Collingwood Spur nearTalbotville
This was Razorback near Mt Buller (not far from Craigs Hut)
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.
Peter Lalor
Redback
Blatant Padder

Postby Lost Man » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:13 pm

Cool,
Thanks for the picks. It don't look to bad actualy. I'll have to check it out this summer. Good trout fishing?
Lost Man
Camping King

Postby New_to_this » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:57 pm

So not a good idea over xmas holidays?
But if we do decide to go is 2wd or 4wd for most of it?
New_to_this
Camping King

Postby Redback » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:48 am

New_to_this wrote:So not a good idea over xmas holidays?

It will be crowded, if you get to the area before Xmas day, you'll have the pick of the campsites, most start rolling in from Boxing day on.

That's the thing, if it has 2WD access, it will be very crowded, Mansfield and the surrounding area is a very popular place, Eildon has some good camping, we stayed at the Blue Gums camping ground, it was good, but you need too book, it's also dog friendly.
http://www.bluegums.com.au/

2WD is fine around Howqua all the way too the last camp ground, also up too Craigs Hut carpark and too Razorback Hut, just ask anyone in Mansfield and they will help with the tracks you can access, most of the tracks we do even an AWD wouldn't go.

Lost Man, re the fishing, don't know as i'm not a fisherman, but if you like fishing Lake Eildon has fish.
Eildon Town Pond

Baz.
Peter Lalor
Redback
Blatant Padder

Postby Lost Man » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:54 am

Redback wrote:

It will be crowded, if you get to the area before Xmas day, you'll have the pick of the campsites, most start rolling in from Boxing day on.

That's the thing, if it has 2WD access, it will be very crowded, Mansfield and the surrounding area is a very popular place, Eildon has some good camping, we stayed at the Blue Gums camping ground, it was good, but you need too book, it's also dog friendly.

2WD is fine around Howqua all the way too the last camp ground, also up too Craigs Hut carpark and too Razorback Hut, just ask anyone in Mansfield and they will help with the tracks you can access, most of the tracks we do even an AWD wouldn't go.

Lost Man, re the fishing, don't know as i'm not a fisherman, but if you like fishing Lake Eildon has fish.
Eildon Town Pond

Baz.

Redback your missing out mate,
Get yourself a rod, it makes it so much more fun. If I didn't fish I'd be hanging round the camp doing this all day :beer
PS: If you are a vegaterian. Please disrgard this.
Lost Man
Camping King

Postby Redback » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:26 pm

Lost Man wrote:
Redback wrote:

Eildon Town Pond

Baz.

Redback your missing out mate,
Get yourself a rod, it makes it so much more fun. If I didn't fish I'd be hanging round the camp doing this all day :beer
PS: If you are a vegaterian. Please disrgard this.[/quote]

No far from a vegie, i like me steak toooooo much :bunny

I do through a line in on the odd ocassion, i'm just not very good at it ;)

Baz.
Peter Lalor
Redback
Blatant Padder

Postby Komodo » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:09 pm

Baz those photos from the high country make me want to pack up and leave now - man I love the high country
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Redback » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:19 pm

Komodo wrote:Baz those photos from the high country make me want to pack up and leave now - man I love the high country

It's a special place for us too, probably why we keep going back :grin:
Peter Lalor
Redback
Blatant Padder

Postby New_to_this » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:59 pm

Unfortunatly we will be heading out on the 27th. So i could be out of luck.
I just wish this was easy.
So many great places to go.
New_to_this
Camping King

Postby Redback » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:14 am

Mate you'll be OK, there are lots of places around the area, if you can, try and get there early in the day and just cruise up the campsites till you see one with some room, one word of warning though, one of the campsites on the Howqua is popular with horse riders, it has horse yards in it, unless your into horses, avoid that campsite.

Baz.
Peter Lalor
Redback
Blatant Padder

Postby New_to_this » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:45 pm

Like horses but man the flies their I like brings especially in the summer
not my idea of a fun holiday
New_to_this
Camping King

Return to Camping Tips and Locations