Kingscliff - first time out with CT

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Kingscliff - first time out with CT

Postby amanda » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:04 am

Being the first time out, and with limited time, we decided on a park that was relatively close to home and that had all the facilities, and being the last weekend of NSW school holidays our choices were limited, so we decided upon the Kingscliff Beach Holiday Park (northern NSW). The park itself is on the foreshore - the ocean on one side of it and the main street of Kingscliff on the other. It is therefore extremely handy to everything - you just hop across the road for a wide choice of restaurants, gift shops, there's also a newsagent, hotel, Bowls club, banks, bakery etc. So basically once you're there you don't need to use the car again.

The facilities are a little on the old side, but clean and well maintained. There are a few electric style BBQ's scattered throughout the park, but no fires are permitted. There are only a handful of unpowered sites that are located at the very northern end of the park, however there are plenty of powered sites. The best feature of the park is that no site is more than 50 metres from the beach, and if you have children, there are no roads to cross to get there. their website states that pets are not permitted, however there was a labrador camped with a family opposite us, so not sure if the rules may have changed. We paid $26 per night for three adults.

A highlight of the weekend was the show about 6 whales put on for us directly in front of where we camped. A mother and baby were only about 200 metres out and were having a wonderful time playing and showing off to us. They stayed there for nearly and hour.

We managed to set the camper up pretty well for our first time. We made a couple of small mistakes, but now that we're aware of them we'll know for next time. I was very pleased with the amount of space we had, especially as it rained heavily for most of the time and at one point we had 8 adults sitting inside, along with all our gear, and weren't cramped or on top of one another. What can I say about the bed - heaven!!! That alone is enough to buy a CT. Anyway, everything went well despite the poor weather and we can't wait to get out in it again. Here are some pics of us getting set up:

You can't rush these things - let's just have a beer and figure out how we're going to go about this.

OK, that's the first part done - so far so good

And now the awning is done (better sit down for another beer to sort the next bit out)

Finally, the annexe is on and family and friends have arrived to celebrarte with champagne!
Last edited by amanda on Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt - then it's bloody hilarious!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Re: Kingscliff - first time out with CT

Postby HGMonaro » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:20 am

nice report, good to hear it went well... and good to get a wet stay out of the way early, won't worry you in the future!

Sounds like a nice location, handy to have something close by to escape too.

Cheers, Nige
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby Beagle » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:15 pm

Well done at your first CT setup. Seems you had a great time. Now you can be confident in going everywhere.
Beagle
Captain Camping

Postby Troyk » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:27 pm

Looks good amanda. Now for all the extras :mrgreen:

Do the internal poles have heri own pockets at the base? Thats quite handy.
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:43 pm

Well it took me a bit to find your post Amanda and now that I have I CONGRATULATE you on a great first time effort and in the rain and all.

I love it when I see first time campers or in this case a first time camper trailer user have a successful camp as it usually means they will be back for seconds, thirds etc. It is a bit like a good luck story and makes me feel good knowing that there is another camper out there enjoying this great country of ours.

I hope there are many more to come and look forward to hearing of you trailering adventures.

Cheers.....
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby amanda » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:46 pm

Troyk wrote:Looks good amanda. Now for all the extras :mrgreen:

Do the internal poles have heri own pockets at the base? Thats quite handy.

Yes they do have their own internal pockets, and yes it makes it easier.
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt - then it's bloody hilarious!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby ben... » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:10 pm

thanks for the report in kingscliff Amanda. Ive stayed down there at kingscliff 6 or 7 time but always in that salt resort. Would love to go camping down that area with the family in our CT, so that park might just fit the bill. thanks and congrats on the first time out with the CT. Well Done.
ben...
Post Machine!

Postby CCC » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:10 am

:armsup :armsup well done Amanda :armsup :armsup
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Return to Camping Tips and Locations