Any tips for first time CT user?

General Discussion, tips and questions and answer on Camper Trailers. Buy and sell below in Vehicles for Sale.

Any tips for first time CT user?

Postby amanda » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:45 am

I'm off on the weekend for the first time with the CT. Any tips on what I should/shouldn't be doing? Anything that you can recall getting wrong when you first started in your CT? I'm open for any tips I can get to make it a big success. Thanks in advance everyone.
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt - then it's bloody hilarious!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Re: Any tips for first time CT user?

Postby Redback » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:22 pm

amanda wrote:I'm off on the weekend for the first time with the CT. Any tips on what I should/shouldn't be doing? Anything that you can recall getting wrong when you first started in your CT? I'm open for any tips I can get to make it a big success. Thanks in advance everyone.

Practice putting up and down before going and season the canvas too, this will stop you from getting too frustrated when your supposed to being relaxing and don't take too much gear on the first trip, if you forget something, buy it when you get there.

If your not good at reversing, practice, especially if your going too a van park.

Make sure the gas bottles are full.

Baz.
01 Discovery TD5 Locked & Lifted & Redback Country Camper Trailer
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.
Peter Lalor
Redback
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:54 pm

Don't forget to take the pegs out of the floor before you try to pack it up.

And if you currently have plenty of room under the cover leave your annex roof attached when packing up.

The best tip I can give you Amanda...is just ENJOY the experience.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Troyk » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:24 pm

Amanda,

Just because you have plenty of space in the CT, doesn't mean you should fill it up.

After a few trips you will notice all this stuff in the CT after you set up, and you will know what i mean. :mrgreen:
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby snake_dr » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:45 pm

i dont know if this has been mentioned to you yet, ignore me if this has been said and done, but if its a new camper it wont be waterproof yet and will need to be soaked a few times

so be prepared for leaks if its raining :-)

ive had my camper out about 8 times since feb this year and to date havent been through a storm, which is odd considering before i got the camper it rained every time i camped
snake_dr
Camping Veteran

Postby amanda » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:38 am

I took it out last weekend and it pretty much rained the entire time - so it has now been thoroughly soaked. We experienced some minor leaks, but nothing to bother us - I guess we were lucky!
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt - then it's bloody hilarious!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby snake_dr » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:52 am

sweet, the seams apparently need a good soaking before they will close up, ive had to run across most of my seams with sealer to fix mine even after being hosed a few times, its still leaking through one of my zips so either your lucky or my camper is a bit shoddy ;)
snake_dr
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:57 am

There is a big difference between hosing your camper and it being rained on so don't be too hasty to judge it on that basis alone.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby snake_dr » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:01 am

true that
snake_dr
Camping Veteran

Return to Camper Trailers