NSW - Gulgong, Henry Lawson Caravan Park

NSW - Gulgong, Henry Lawson Caravan Park

Postby cokebottle » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:39 am

We went away on Saturday 4-10-08 to Gulgong for three nights & stayed at the Henry Lawson Caravan Park in Gulgong, which is situated about 28km north west from Mudgee.

All the way there it was raining off & on, we arrived about midday to overcast skies, as I was paying for the 3 night unpowered site the rain started :?

We dropped the trailer at the campsite & headed into town for lunch with the hope the rain would stop so we could pitch the tent etc, but the heavens had other ideas.

While eating lunch in the pub the rain started pouring down, we played a game of pool & watched the rain intensify :( no way was I going to put up the tent in that! so I went back to the park & asked if they had a cabin for at least one night, thankfully we got a cabin for the night, not very comfortable bed, but at least it was dry.

Sunday was a lot better no rain, so I setup the tent & we then headed into town to check out the markets at the CWA hall, then across the road to Gulgong Pioneer Museum, best museum I have ever seen! it occupies almost an entire block & has heaps of memorabilia, old tractors, school house, dolls, telephone equipment, ice chest fridges...... blah blah

We had lunch on top of Flirtation Hill, which gives a great view over the township, weather was sunny with scattered clouds, after a great day we headed back to camp, then as I was getting dinner ready I saw some dark clouds gathering to the west, then saw distant lightening flashes ::() then heard thunder getting closer, then right over us, then the rain hit!

Managed to get dinner cooked & setup a makeshift table out of a plastic storage crate in the centre vestibule of the tent so we could have dinner out of the weather, rain really poured down so much you could hardly hear yourself talk!

Through the night it rained off & on, hardly got any sleep :( next morning at about 6am I went out to survey the scene, it had stopped raining, not too bad, a few puddles around, but nothing serious, so I fired up the stove & made a coffee, then the rain hit again, this time it was really belting down & as I was outside under the tarp I decided to stay there because I had zipped the tent flap down which acted as a joining awning between the tent & tarp.

The rain continued for at least an 2 hours & I watched as a river flowed under the tent ::() then watched the water start to flow around my feet near the stove, the rain stopped & I checked inside the tent & found that some water had got in through a pin hole in the seams, but was quickly mopped up with some towels ;)

We headed off to Dubbo Zoo for the day & left our tent to dry, came back that night & all was ok, packing up on Tuesday the sun was beating down & not a cloud in the sky :twisted:

The van park was not too bad, cabins a bit basic & rustic, the grounds are neat & tidy though, the unpowered camp sites were all very small, except for number 1, which we had ;) (we were the only campers there anyway)

They allow dogs, but they must be kept on leads.

More pictures of the park here: http://www.caravanparkphotos.com.au/gulgong/

gulgong001.jpg
relics.jpg
gulgong024.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cokebottle
Blatant Padder

Re: Gulgong, NSW, Henry Lawson Caravan Park

Postby Beagle » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:28 pm

Great report. Sorry you had the rain but it certainly showed your setup was up to the mark. Yes the museum is great.
Beagle
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:51 pm

Good to see that you survived the rain Michael and that it did not dampen your spitits.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby cokebottle » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:27 am

gypsylady wrote:Good to see that you survived the rain Michael and that it did not dampen your spitits.

Yes, my fiancee's 11 yr old daughter commented the next morning "you know what?, I'm not afraid of thunderstorms now, because I just had to get used to it last night!"

Michael
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cokebottle
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:36 am

cokebottle wrote:Yes, my fiancee's 11 yr old daughter commented the next morning "you know what?, I'm not afraid of thunderstorms now, because I just had to get used to it last night!"

Michael

Another little camper in the making....
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Return to NSW