Ridge Poles

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Ridge Poles

Postby haaksy78 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:36 pm

We have a 9m x 9m tarp and are looking for the best and cheapest way to use ridge poles.

We have got a quote for a 9m ridge pole and it was $230, is this normal or is there a better way to do it.

Helen
haaksy78

Re: Ridge Poles

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:53 pm

That is a lot of money Helen.

Years ago when I camped in a tent with a 9m x 11m tarp, we used 2 ridge poles, joined in the middle with a pole and a mushroom cap.

We would then put a rope with spring over one on the ridge poles at the highest point and peg it straight down to the ground so that it did not fall when wind caught the tarp and it flexed up thereby taking the pressure of it.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby haaksy78 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:36 pm

Thanks for that. Now to work out how many ridge poles we need and to get them at a reasonable price.

Helen
haaksy78

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:10 pm

I used 2 for my setup (11m x 9m) Helen and the square ones are better than the round ones.

Hunt around the camping stores and compare prices and make up your mind from there. I'd go 2 larger ones rather than 2 that just fit the tarp...better to have some in reserve for additional strength.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby haaksy78 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:37 pm

That is what I thought too, bigger rather than just right.

I might have to get my partner to see if he can make some - with average price being over $150 per pole.

Helen
haaksy78

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:23 pm

Not sure where you are sourcing these poles Helen but I am sure they are not that expensive, at least they never used to be.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby J`CRUISER » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:45 am

cannot remeber how much i paid for mine but it was not that expensive. it was fairly large one aswell to suit my 30' x 20' tarp.
J`CRUISER
Captain Camping

Postby haaksy78 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:52 am

So far my prices are from BCF - $157 and Camping World at Maryborough $233 from the Poles Apart Company.

Any suggestions

Helen
haaksy78

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:07 am

Think I bought the last of mine from Down Under Camping at Salisbury, phone number is 3227 4531. They do have other stores at Capalaba, Slacks Creek and Enoggera.

Next suggestion would be the Caravan and Camping Pre Xmas Sale at the RNA showgrounds this coming weekend. It commences on Friday 24 October at 10am and runs till Sunday 26th.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Argle » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:35 pm

I got my ridge poles from Anaconda at Logan, I got the best price from The Great Escape Camping Co. at Coopers Plains and then Anaconda beat the price by 10 or 20% I forget which. Anaconda has a price beat policy on items that are the same ie same brand same model size etc, dont be shy to hit them up. I have saved heaps on camping gear by doing this.

Cheers and Beers
Scott
Argle
Captain Camping

Postby coyotte » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:15 am

Argle wrote:I got my ridge poles from Anaconda at Logan, I got the best price from The Great Escape Camping Co. at Coopers Plains and then Anaconda beat the price by 10 or 20% I forget which. Anaconda has a price beat policy on items that are the same ie same brand same model size etc, dont be shy to hit them up. I have saved heaps on camping gear by doing this.

Cheers and Beers
Scott

tried Bunnings out on the same policy with a "Alum 4 fold ladder" -- Homestead had it adv for almost 1/2 of Bunnings price --- they didn't like it but came around ---- did notice though that the next day when I was in the same Bunnings store , although they knew it was cheaper elsewhere their price had not changed.

Cheers
Coyotte
THIS too shall change
coyotte
Camping King

Postby coyotte » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:31 am

there is a recent thread on this site about Ridge Poles
it ended up with a answer with pics from a poster who used 30mm poly conduit (cheap as chips) --- and seems to work o/k

thought though maybe a bigger diameter rigid poly water pipe (household-- not arg or downpipe) might be even better although slightly dearer.

Cheers
Coyotte

Edit : correct spelling
THIS too shall change
coyotte
Camping King

Return to Gear Guide