Gas Stove Vs Small poratable BBQ

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Gas Stove Vs Small poratable BBQ

Postby New_to_this » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:31 pm

Any opinons?

I think that a small portable BBQ would be of more use to us.
What does every1 else prefer?
New_to_this
Camping King

Re: Gas Stove Vs Small poratable BBQ

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:07 pm

I have both....horses for courses really. I do use my BBQ more in the summer months though.

I wonder if the BBQ would use more gas over a greater time to simply boil the billy for a cuppa.

Cheers....
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby garbage » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:55 pm

I like my steaks and roasts, so use the Weber Baby Q - such a good barbecue that my main one at home only gets used when we have more than 4 people. It also does a very nice roast for 4. The only downside is that it is slightly bulkier than a small stove. Gas use is negligible.
garbage
Camping Veteran

Postby Komodo » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:30 pm

I have both and I've got to admit the stove gets more use. BUT I use the camp oven a lot rather than having "BBQ fry ups".
Like Gyp's said - horses for courses.

Personally I would invest in a stove before a BBQ. Coleman for example have a 3 burner low pressure stove that comes with a grill plate - best of both worlds (well almost). I think the RRP is about $160 though.
That said - find me a reasonable 2 burner gas BBQ for under $100 and a stove for $60.

I think if I was camping more in summer I would get more use out of my BBQ though.
And depending on your camping type - if your camping at powered sites you could always take an electric kettle for the quick cuppa in the morning - more efficient any way.
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby New_to_this » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:08 pm

Thanks guys.
I just have a feeling that a BBQ we would get more use out of.
And if i want to use a pan or a kettle in summer i can always just attacht the
single burner ring to the gas bottle that my mum has. (now she has got more of
the kitchen done she doesnt use it as much, i'm sure she wouldnt miss it for a week)

And i also dont need tea or coffee i'm not a hot drinks person. But i do like a hot water
bottle. HMMMMMMMMM.

Maybe i'll have a look into at the stove with a grill plate. Doesnt seem that expensive to me.
Is it? Would every1 else pay that?
New_to_this
Camping King

Postby Beagle » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:49 am

When it comes to cooking I have the kitchen stove in my camper, I always have a steel barbque plate in the camper ready for throwing on a fire, I have a small gas barbque plus a high pressure gas cooker which screws ontop of a gas bottle.
Beagle
Captain Camping

Postby Argle » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:26 pm

I use a coleman gas stove, have a removeable hot plate for cooking on and can also boil the kettle for the early morning cuppa. Takes up heaps less room than a bbq but if space is not a problem and you are feeding a heap of people one of those 4 burner bbq's with the fold up legs would be the go. You can pick them up for around the $100 mark if you look around places like Anaconda and BCF etc. Same for the small stoves depending on weather you get a two or three burner job they start around $50 depending on brand and what accessories you get.

Cheers and Beers
Scott
Argle
Captain Camping

Postby HGMonaro » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:44 pm

I must confess I read the title and thought... what's the difference?
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby New_to_this » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:05 am

Ok so this week at ALDI, small portable gas BBQ $89.
Think i might pick one up for myself anyway.
New_to_this
Camping King

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:18 am

New_to_this wrote:Ok so this week at ALDI, small portable gas BBQ $89.
Think i might pick one up for myself anyway.

I agree, should be a good buy at that cost.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby xmasbaby67 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:16 pm

We have the small round gas BBQ, just bought a new one from Thrifty Link for $69.00 and comes with a carry bag, so makes it easy to chuck in the back of the campertrailer. We also have a small stove in a hard carry case that runs on the cans and is really handy for a weekend away when we dont want to cart gas bottles. We used it last weekend and was really handy and took up no room at all. We also have a two burner gas stove that was given to us but we have yet to be bothered to hook it up and use it yet as we prefer the BBQ.
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Beau » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:45 pm

I use a stove with an extra burner off to the side, I think the small bbq's are really neat and would definatly have a use. but I think I will stick to one system, my shed is far to full allready :***
so my preferrence is a stove only because that is what I am used to using, I am more of a 1 pot wonder when it comes to camp cooking lol.
We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home, in towns and cities. -Nessmuk
Beau
Camping King

Postby Blue Bravo » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:41 pm

I have both but in trying to reduce the amount of stuff I take have now settled on a 2 burner stove, using a griddle grill to bar b que.
Will also use camp bar b ques if they are free.
I do carry a plate for use on open fire
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Woodsy » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:34 pm

I am in a similar situation. We have a 2 burner stove which we used most last time we went camping.. only because it was the only thing we had. But my Gf bought me one of the small portable BBQ's that only has 1 burner that runs length ways across the bbq but it only came with a small grill and you have to cook with the lid down. I tried it the other night with Sangas and 10 minutes into cooking it didn't do anything. I am looking at getting in a plate for it that i have seen at bcf etc to see if that makes a difference.. otherwise its useless.

Josh
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby Poodle Jewel » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:58 pm

I have the gas stove with barb b plate that i picked up at crazy clarks for $2 bucks.
Yes the bbq in the aldi catologue looks great,they call it a kettle bbq,i`m thinking by looking at the picture you put head beads in the kettle??? Yep title says it all Charcoal grill
With my little Getz i probably wouldn`t take it but it would be handy for home..
http://www.aldi.com.au/au/html/offers/2867_6486.htm
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Return to Gear Guide