Keeping tent cool

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Keeping tent cool

Postby OzeBoy » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:38 am

We're considering camping again over the new year period but want to know what can be done to try and keep the tent cool so when it's time for bed, the tent isn't too hot. What are the ways you can keep a tent cool? I don't have a canvas tent. It a 6 person dome tent from Rays. I hate having a hot tent. Any suggestions?
OzeBoy
Camping King

Re: Keeping tent cool

Postby Argle » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:03 pm

The best way I have found is to put a silver tarp up over the tent. This will reflect a lot of radiant heat keeping the tent much cooler, try to get as much airflow through the tent as well by leaving door and window flaps open. You get the extra benifit of the tarp keeping everything dry if you get some rain or a dew as well. See below our tent set up with tarp - works a treat!

Cheers and Beers
Scott
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Argle
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:09 pm

As Scott has already commented, a silver tarp and plenty of ventilation is the first step.

Secondly is a 12 volt fan if you have the power to run it.

And of course if you are on a powered site...an electric fan.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby cokebottle » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:48 pm

I was looking at tent fans yesterday in Kmart, they have rechargeable ones, but don't know how much running time you would get?

Michael
cokebottle
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:56 pm

cokebottle wrote:I was looking at tent fans yesterday in Kmart, they have rechargeable ones, but don't know how much running time you would get?

Michael

Can't say that I have seen them Michael...would be interesting to check out.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby xmasbaby67 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:56 pm

I agree with everyone else about the silver tarp. Make sure you have it big enough so you have a couple of feet 'verandah' around your tent as that will help to keep the tent cool and also give u somewhere to sit in the shade and have a cool drink while u are waiting for your tent to cool down or the sun to go down. :cheers
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby OzeBoy » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:14 am

Awesome, thanks everyone. I'll have to get some poles for the tarp. Are there special poles that are needed or just any poles and guy-ropes?
OzeBoy
Camping King

Postby Argle » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:37 am

We use basic extendable alloy type poles that you can buy at most camp places, just make sure they will have enough height to keep the tarp over the tent. As for guy ropes make sure they have springs in the otherwise your tarp will be history when the first good gust of wind comes through. We used to use a pole in every second hole but found that it was better to have a pole in every hole to provide maximum support - especially when wet or windy.

Cheers and Beers
Scott
Argle
Captain Camping

Postby Berny » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:51 am

cokebottle wrote:I was looking at tent fans yesterday in Kmart, they have rechargeable ones, but don't know how much running time you would get?

Michael

Are they 12v?

Berny
Berny
Camping King

Postby cokebottle » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:33 pm

Berny wrote: Are they 12v?

To be honest I only briefly looked at them & from what I remember they had they had the added advantage of power outlets to power mobile phones etc....

I will have to go & take another look ;)

Michael
cokebottle
Blatant Padder

Postby Derek Bullock » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:11 pm

Coleman make some really neat tent fans. Look here http://www.colemanaustralia.com.au/temp ... egory=1078
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:54 am

Ropes with timber tensioners as opposed to the small plastic ones are also easier to adjust and less likely to break.

Also recommend that you use double ropes on the corners of the tarp.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby cokebottle » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:15 am

Derek wrote:Coleman make some really neat tent fans. Look here http://www.colemanaustralia.com.au/temp ... egory=1078

Cool! :grin:
Michael
cokebottle
Blatant Padder

Postby Komodo » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:12 pm

Agreed with GL re guy ropes - don't skimp on good quality guy ropes.

Good guy ropes are more expensive and seem like a lot of money to invest initially but believe me when I say that you'll kick yourself forever if you go the plastic do-dad-thingys - particularly if you go nylon rope as well!

I suggest a good quality rope with springs and wooden tensioners - you'll thank yourself later when your not getting up every half an hour to re tension all the ropes (or knock the pegs back in!) - particularly in windy conditions.

Good quality tarps are reasonably priced - look for something with reinforced edges and preferably with "d" rings at the edges. Durarig and Ultrarig are pretty much the bees knees. If you can afford the extra try get something that extends about 1.5 - 2M passed the edges of your tent. This allows 1M of walking space along the sides plus 0.5 - 1M of "drop" down the sides to keep the sun off the sides of the tent early in the morning and late in the day - the 1.5 - 2M at the front and rear should be supported straight out allowing for a "wind tunnel" type effect to transfer any beeze through the tent and allowing fro plenty of shade.

Poles - as others suggested something tall enough to get over the top of the tent - I like to have about 300mm clearance over the top as it allows a bit of air movement.

Tent fans are good they keep the air circulating which is a major thing in a tent for keeping things "bearable" most are powered by 'D' cell batteries - solar chargers are available for rechargable batteries should you need - though personally I'd be inclined just to stock up on a few of those bargain shop lots of batteries. I have even seen one (though I've never seen one since) which was a crude evap cooler. There are plans on the interwebs for them - the yanks call them "swamp boxes"

I hate camping in the heat I've only done it a few times and these are the tips I've used and learnt from people who regularly camp in the heat (something wrong with them I swear!)
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby OzeBoy » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:08 pm

Awesome, thanks for the info guys. It's a real help. I'm completely new to using tarps, but I take it you need to slant the tarp in case it rains rather than just horizontal over the tent. Any preferred ways of compensating for rain? Also, what are the benefits of D ring tarps compared to eyelets? Cheers :cheers
OzeBoy
Camping King

Next

Return to Camping Tips and Locations