Food vacuum hints please

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Re: Food vacuum hints please

Postby GypsyLady » Thu May 08, 2008 11:26 am

I have only ever come across one price even at the outlet in Sydney and that was 2 rolls for $39.95 from memory.

If you find somewhere cheaper let me know please.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby will_deness » Thu May 08, 2008 1:58 pm

gypsylady wrote:I have only ever come across one price even at the outlet in Sydney and that was 2 rolls for $39.95 from memory.

The electrical store closing down near bunnings in Ipswich has some but they are still too dear, I will check back in a day or so.
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Thu May 08, 2008 6:57 pm

will_deness wrote:
gypsylady wrote:I have only ever come across one price even at the outlet in Sydney and that was 2 rolls for $39.95 from memory.

The electrical store closing down near bunnings in Ipswich has some but they are still too dear, I will check back in a day or so.

How much were they Will??
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby will_deness » Fri May 09, 2008 12:03 am

They were $29 a roll or $49 for 2, still too dear but as they get down to the last of the stock they may really want to get rid of them over the next few days.
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Fri May 09, 2008 7:59 am

GG that is expensive, maybe they are now more expensive since I last bought mine. It has always been cheaper to buy the 2 pack and I only buy the 20cm ones as I only have the small machine.

I also have the cutter which was $10 but again from the factory outlet in Sydney. Have not ever seen one in the shops up here.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby will_deness » Tue May 13, 2008 3:24 pm

Just vacuum sealed opened seed packets after planting in the vege garden. A small bag cuts into 4 that takes the seed envelopes just nicely.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Tue May 13, 2008 3:33 pm

will_deness wrote:Just vacuum sealed opened seed packets after planting in the vege garden. A small bag cuts into 4 that takes the seed envelopes just nicely.

You'd best source some of those rolls soon or you will run out the rate you are going.. The kids better watch out too...
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby embi » Fri May 16, 2008 12:13 am

I've been using one of these machines for a few years now.

I've never frozen my meat before cryovacing and I really think you'd struggle to suck juices outof the meat.

I seal stews, curries etc and always reheat in the bag fully closed. You want have any issues with the bag expanding or bursting. Its the easiest way of reheating and means no mess.

I also seal mulled wine and reheat that in the bag as well.

embi
Camping King

Postby will_deness » Fri May 16, 2008 12:23 am

Thanks for that embi. ;)
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Fri May 16, 2008 8:40 am

Sausages with unsealed ends get pretty messy. Rissoles also don't stand up too well unless frozen before sealing but general meats are ok.

Did you source any bag rolls yet Will?? I saw the Retravision catalogue yesterday and they have the 28cm sunbeam machines on special at the moment. Usually when they are on special the accessories are as well.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby will_deness » Fri May 16, 2008 8:46 am

gypsylady wrote:Did you source any bag rolls yet Will??

got last roll for $10 at the closing down sale, it was one of the last items left in the store.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Fri May 16, 2008 9:13 am

will_deness wrote:
got last roll for $10 at the closing down sale, it was one of the last items left in the store.

That was a good buy, shame there were not a few more. I found that after my initial play and the reality of the cost of the bag rolls, my vacuum sealing slowed down to necessary stuff only. Two rolls will now last me quite a while but then I am also not catering to a family like you.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby GypsyLady » Fri May 16, 2008 2:02 pm

Just received the Aldi electronic catalogue for week commencing May 22 and in it is a vacuum sealer for $99.00.

Also Available Food Sealer Refills $14.99 pk
Pack includes 2 x (6m x 28cm) plastic rolls
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby GypsyLady » Thu May 22, 2008 6:41 pm

I just came from Aldi where I purchased some food sealer refill rolls. Now they are 28cm and my vacuum sealer is only the small one at 20cm but I figured even if I cut them down and only use 2/3 of the 28cm width, it is quite inexpensive by comparision.

Might even go back on the weekend and buy another box of 2 x 6m rolls for $14.99
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby mummeee74 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:37 pm

Hi

I bought one of the Aldi $99 ones and have only just opened the box! No instructions included :( I looked at the Sunbeam website and now have a better idea but I am still unsure about how long food will actually last? Can someone clarify it for me.

If I buy sausages today, pack and then freeze, how long will they last in the Waeco fridge?? Also how long will pre-prepared frozen meals last? I was also thinking of cooking some rice at home and doing that too, easier than taking the rice cooker!

Thanks
mummeee74
Post Machine!

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Guide