Namaste All,

Come on in and tell us a little bit about yourself, your community, opinions, interests and ideas. Comments and tips are always welcome consider this social networking for the rest of us.

Namaste All,

Postby himanshu » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:03 pm

:hello: Myself, missus (both in early 30's) and our 2 yr angel are new to this country which is all about outdoors! A bit of googling here and there and I hit this site which is loaded with A-Z of camping!

We've decided to celebrate our first X'mas in pure OZ style! (tho both of us are totally new to the concept of camping :) in first place but hey its always first time for everything!)

Objective:
1. Take a road trip (to wherever this forum suggests) for a week..say Dec 25th to 31st.
2. On our way, spend a night or 2 at each camping park while enjoying the countryside.

Have scouted couple of camping shops here in downtown Brisbane to have a feel of whats on the offer. As this is our first ever camping experience and do not know if we ever do it again :oops: don't want to go overboard with full blown investment which would sit in our balcony until some one shows interest in it again.

Suggest us something, we are all ears :cheers

-------------
Himanshu
Honda CR-V with empty boot waiting soon to be full!
himanshu

Re: Namaste All,

Postby Troyk » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:48 pm

Welcome Himanshu. :armsup

The period 25 to 31 December is one of the busiest times camping especially close to the coast, but if you don't mind going a little inland you should be right.

How far are you considering travelling?

On camping gear if you are not sure about making the investment there are places that hire out camping gear. Just have a look in the yellow pages. I have never done it so I can't tell you the likely prices.

Anyhow good luck wth it all. :mrgreen:
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:49 pm

Hi Himanshu and WELCOME to the forum.

WOW is that a pretty big quest for a first timer or what??? Good luck with it all. Troy hit the nail when he suggested that you might like to hire first, this is a great idea.

Another thought is maybe you could do your road trip and stay in cabins or on site vans in caravan parks, this would also limit your purchases but still give you a taste of the good life.

Have a think about it some more and see what the others come up with by way of suggestions as well before committing to any one idea.

Cheers Gypsy....
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby himanshu » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:54 pm

Thanks Troyk,

I am planning for somewhere in Western Downs (somewhere along Leichhardt or Gore or Warrego H/Way) depending upon the availability of camping locations.

Planning to travel 1000kms one way clocking about 300 a day, reaching a camping site early in the day, enjoy the day, camp overnight and leave next morning for next destination. Same routine on my way back but different places.

Do not mind making an investment but not an overkill for my first experience. Could you suggest some mid size tent for 2 that I wouldn't feel bad to do away with if this whole thing does not happen again?
himanshu

Postby HGMonaro » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:10 pm

G'day and welcome!

Can't advise you on a tent other than to say get one bigger than the number of people they claim can sleep in it... the manufacturers must forget you most likely have a foam mat or air mattress to sleep on which takes up more room than what they allow. They also don't allow for any room to store your clothes, food or anything else. A 4 man tent would suit 2 people but best to check the actual dimensions. We have a 6 man dome tent that sleeps 4 with a bit (not a lot) of space for gear but we only use it for nights at places we can't get our camper into so it works for us. Basic dome tents are cheap and probably worth looking at for a 1st tent to see if you like camping before buying something more expensive.

The only two things you probably can't source from home is the tent and some form of sleeping matress. Self inflating foam, are good insulators (from the ground) but bulky (regardless of the name). Air matresses compress down to not much but don't insulate well and some people dopn't like sleeping on them. Generally need a pump of some description to blow them up too. We use air matresses and have no complaints.

You should be able to use pillows, blankets, cutlery, etc from home. Buying some cheap 'unbreakable' plates would probably be a good idea. You can get cheap but serviceable stuff drom Big W and the likes. Only take the bare essentials. The aluminium folding tables are good too.

There was a thread on here about basic kit, see if you can find that. That's all I can think off for the moment.

Cheers, Nige
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby himanshu » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:51 pm

Many thanks Nige :cheers
himanshu

Postby Jo&Kev » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:32 am

For what its worth:

We did a 4200km trip that sounds like the 'big brother' of what you are planning. With two adults we have a 'sleeps 10' 2 room tent. (I agree with Nige's tip.) I like the idea of having a 'bedroom' and a room for our gear. We use it 6 or so times a year for weekends and a few days at a time. It is a Big W tent so it may not be the best quality tent but it does the job. And it was about $250 on sale so not all that expensive. The main advantage is that it takes about 20 or so minutes to set up.

We also have an air mattress (from K Mart) and a couple of self inflating foam mats and sleeping bags. The foam mats are great for keeping the cold from rising through the mattress and were about $30 each from a camping store. Less than $20 saw us with a 12V air pump for th mattress.

For cooking we use a LPG stove/grill that was just over $100 and the LPG cylinder comes off the BBQ when we camp. Also have a LPG lantern and a pole (about $50 all up). I like the hiss and the type of light - others don't. Throw in a couple of fold up chairs ($10 ea) and a fold up table ($50 or so). Depending on where you go it may be worth taking water with you - a 15 litre spring water 'bottle' from the supermarket is an easy way of doing it and then every thing else you can find at home.

If you are not sure about going again, the air mattress can be used for visitors and the extra chairs always come in handy.

If you do like camping then you can look at cool things like fridges and LED lights for the tent and washing machines and toilets and showers and...

Mind you, we have a 60 Series Landcruiser Wagon so we can put a whole lot of stuff in there that is 'nice to have' that might not fit in a CRV.

Do let us know how you get along.

Kev
Our blog - with bigger pics!
http://actnswcamping.blogspot.com/
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Postby barnesy01 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:15 pm

My sugestion would to hire a camper trailer. Should be able to pick one up for $500 a week with all the gear available for hire as well. This would include a few chairs a table, cooking equipment. Overall, i think this would be a cheaper way to go than to buy some equipment and then for it too only sit in the shed. You can also hire esky/fridges too keep your food cold for the time away. Stay close to van parks until you get the feel.
By the way hello and welcome
barnesy01
Boy Scout

Postby Al&Sharon » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:50 am

Hi Namaste as Troy has stated this is the busiest time to go camping but Im sure you ll have a great time and meet lots of great people , I was in Aldi the other day on the gold coast they had camping gear so cheap I bought a butane gas cooker and 4 gas bottles for under $20 they had double swags ,tables, sleeping bags,lights,pots , cookers every you would need and at a very cheap price,for a first run not to sure of the quality though but ah you get what you pay for. now Tent I would look on ebay some brilliant bargains to be had there I see 1 in brisbane 3 room tent used once going for going for $200 but you could be lucky and pik up a complete paclage just keep watching . good luck and welcome to Aus and the forum. Alan
Al&Sharon
Post Machine!

Postby himanshu » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:05 pm

Thanks for your tips Kev, barnesy01 and Alan. Think am in business now :grin: Had been to Camping and Caravan sale @ RNA showgrounds.

Saturday was the day well spent just looking all the camping gear on display and getting awed by Camper trailers, Camper Vans, Motor homes et all in different layouts.

Sunday was shopping time! ordered an already out of stock 6 people tent, taking Kev's advise to go for larger one, from Tentworld (the salesperson did mention I would get it at the sale price, save 200 :armsup ). Additionally, got 2 King single self inflating air mattresses, 2 Adult X-large adult sleeping bags, OZ-trail cheap single burner stove with gas supplies and an fibreglass (research says they are much better than plastic) 55 litres esky with a freebie (forgot the brand already), some various size ropes, pegs and a mallet.

I think if my missus ever decides to abandon her camping future am not and that’s decided ::)

Apart from cooking utensils (which I will source from home for the first time) am looking at traditional lighting solution..something like Hurricane Lanterns. I have used them in the past back in India during frequent blackouts. I prefer wick over mantle or lamps for obvious reasons and the versatility of these lanterns amazes me no matter if its windy, raining or whatever the weather, they just keep hanging and keeping burning. Most important they are not pressurized either... any suggestions on where I can source them cheaply or something better?

Thanks again guys for all your help :cheers
himanshu

Postby Blue Bravo » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:06 pm

Welcome to the world of camping. If you get the bug you will spend the first few years getting allthe good stuff you might need, then spend the rest of your life getting rid of it all and getting back to basics (or move up to a camper trailer/caravan/camper van) :grin:
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Return to Introductions: