Camping Etiquette

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Re: Camping Etiquette

Postby snake_dr » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:11 pm

inconsiderate generator users are the worst.

we camped at andrew drynan last easter and this turkey camped on the other side of the divide between the two sides and put his $3 genny facing us in the divide, we couldnt hear ourselves think over the bloody thing it was that loud, and he wasnt using it just when he needed to boil the kettle, he let it go as a power supply

he was made to turn it off by the campground guy after nearly getting lynched by a heap of people, we had a genny, a honda, and used it only as required to sterilise baby's bottles etc and i think if people are at least trying to be considerate thats the biggest part

thats probably the worst case of rudeness ive come across whilst camping
snake_dr
Camping Veteran

Postby bobok » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:03 am

NOTHING is worse than people playing electronic music while camping. What is up with that???
If people want to play it, fine, just make sure no one else can hear it!!!!!

What do people do in these situations??
bobok

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:44 pm

bobok wrote:NOTHING is worse than people playing electronic music while camping. What is up with that???
If people want to play it, fine, just make sure no one else can hear it!!!!!

What do people do in these situations??

I have gone up and asked them if they would not mind turning it down. I say the same thing that you have mentioned here...I do not mind them listening to it but please, I do not want to listen to it.

I have had mixed responses.

I often threaten (privately) to get the generator out or at least put it out in sight in the hope that they see it and camp further away.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Al&Sharon » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:33 pm

What annoys me when Im camping absolutly nothing if I hear kids screaming playing ball I think how lovely because before you know it the kids arnt ther and have grown up , Alan
Al&Sharon
Post Machine!

Postby Beau » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:05 am

*Cough* No lighting smokey fires or burning green wood when the breeze is blowing towards my camp site please... I really dont need to be choked out, But if the breeze blows downwind from me; well thats OK :***
We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home, in towns and cities. -Nessmuk
Beau
Camping King

Postby Jo&Kev » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:54 am

If its a busy campsite I hate it when people shortcut by the tent and trip/stumble on the guy ropes. I mean it is a campsite and there and nearly always going to be guy ropes. In the middle of the night it's most un-cool when someone trips over one and shakes the entire tent!
Our blog - with bigger pics!
http://actnswcamping.blogspot.com/
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Postby ChallengeLee » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:02 pm

The main ones for me is noise level....be it the fighting adults or the screaming children...usually and often go hand in hand...lol. I work with children and l have my own man/child so when l go camping, l camp as far away from anyone as possible -as everyone else l'm there for peace, quiet and relaxation.

People leaving rubbish around when they leave, it takes a moment to check that you have all your gear, how hard is it to check for rubbish at the same time??!!

Glass bottles and cans thrown into fire pits is another, l must admit in my first camping experiences l did this but once shown and given the reasons as to how dangerous it is for others l stopped and now will explain to others.
ChallengeLee
Camping Veteran

Postby Derek Bullock » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:45 pm

Jo&Kev wrote:If its a busy campsite I hate it when people shortcut by the tent and trip/stumble on the guy ropes. I mean it is a campsite and there and nearly always going to be guy ropes. In the middle of the night it's most un-cool when someone trips over one and shakes the entire tent!

A good way to stop this is buy a pack of solar garden lights and drive then into the ground beside the corner guy ropes.

Works a treat.
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Blue Bravo » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:36 pm

Things that annoy me are - people walking through my camp (even had them walk under annexe).

Loud music/noise (eg football, race calls etc). If you can hear it 10 metres away from where you are camped it's too loud.

People who don't respect the park, camp area, facilities etc often spoling other peoples enjoyment
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:36 am

Jo&Kev wrote:If its a busy campsite I hate it when people shortcut by the tent and trip/stumble on the guy ropes. I mean it is a campsite and there and nearly always going to be guy ropes. In the middle of the night it's most un-cool when someone trips over one and shakes the entire tent!

This is only one reason I use solar lights on the ropes....
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Lost Man » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:22 pm

Re: Music

I love to kick back and stick on some new tunes around the camp site. What I do it when I put it on, I'll start walking towards the closest camp site and If I can't hear any music by the time I'm about half way I think the volume is right and shouldn't bother anyone. Personaly I would rather got to site that is not crowded so I don't have to be so consious of making to much noise.

Has anyone been in this situation?

Your kicking back with some friends having a chat round the fire at night, suddenly a parade of Commdores and utes turn up and park in the site closest to yours.

This is the rejected youth of the closest country town.
The one with the loudest sterio is the one that gets to play the tunes, unfortunatly the one with the loudest sterio is the one that hasn't bought any music since MC Hammer was in Baggies.
They don't have tents or fire wood just beer and Spirits.
At this stage I will start to binge drink in the vain hope that I will get so drunk nothing will wake me up once I collapse in the tent. This will never work, I am destined to wake up at 3.30 with Angry anderson, Hank Williams or Jimmy Barnes screaming in my ear. I will then lay awake saying things to myself like "it's OK, you used to be like that or Maybe you might enjoy the next song". Nope, after half an hour I have to get up and pull my jeans on and ask for the music to be turned down. This is never fun, it's hard telling 15 drunken youths hooting and hollering around a bonfire to keep quite. But it has to be done.
This has happened three times to me, twice at Eden and once at Coopers creek.
PS never go to Coopers Creek.
Lost Man
Camping King

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:51 pm

That situation is a real nightmare....
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Previous

Return to Camping Tips and Locations