Once you figure out how to use it, they usually run pretty good. When you hear people say that they don't work, its usually because they are expecting it to work like a compressor fridge.
The 3 way fridge is known as ammonia (NH4) refridgeration, and is well used by the miltary and for diaster relief. Of course they are also popular in caravans etc.
I have a 35L Waeco 3 way, just use it at home now as I have upgraded to a 60L Evakool. Anyhow here is a few things i have learnt;
* Need to keep them level. The fridge works by heating a cylinder of ammonia, and if it ain't level the heat it is not directly applied. You will hear this comment a fair bit
* Get a fridge thermometer. They cost around $25 to 30 from BCF and will help you determine how cold the fridge will get. 3 way fridges dont regulate the temperature so you need to adjust the level, as at full it just lowers the temp by 25 celsuis below ambient. While you need to have it full on during warmer weather, you do need to turn it down during cool weather as it will freeze everything. Have had that happen.
* Wait till about 8pm before putting it warm items, as the cool of the night will mean a quick recovery.
* The most efficient source is gas by far as thats what they are designed for. 240V is not bad but 12v you will draw some real amps. In the car it kept blowing the fuse for the rear outlet which was rated for 10amps. I have heard people say it goes into "maintenance mode" which is not true, it just can't draw enough amps from your battery.
* Make sure you have a regulator on your hose because it is gas. I had a hole in the hose last time we used it and it caught fire, and burnt a hole in the back grill of the fridge, regulator cut the supply straight away. After that I decided to move away from gas.
* On gas they need to be in a well ventilated space. People have actually died from running them in their cars. I think there was a case early this year up in FNQ.
Anyhow good luck with it all, and feel free to ask more questions.
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!
2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!