Where to go? North 3ish Hrs from Syd

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Where to go? North 3ish Hrs from Syd

Postby frog_a_lot » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:30 am

So me and some mates are looking to go camping.. But not sure where we should go, as we usually go south.

My mate mentioned Seal Rocks or somewhere like that, so i had a look and thought maybe Myall Lakes area, such as on the Mungo Brush rd, i heard of one called Banksia Green or something that people say are good.

What other nice areas are up that way? A place that has both beach and lake would be nice.

How crowed do these areas up that way get, we are looking at going around the 20-25th november so still before school holidays and all that..
Thanks
frog_a_lot

Re: Where to go? North 3ish Hrs from Syd

Postby Berny » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:25 am

Seals is good and you should also look at Sandbar Caravan Park. The turn-off to Sandbar [east off The Lakes Way, unsealed rd.] is approx 30kms along the Lakes Way from Bulahdelah, just passed the Smith's Lake turn-off where you can get great coffee and supplies.
Sandbar has absolute frontage to Smiths Lake with a 500 meter walk through sub tropical rain forest to Cellito beach for good surf and fishing.

Bern
Berny
Camping King

Postby Berny » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:03 pm

I forgot about Booti Booti National Park, The "Ruins" Camp Ground,
The Lakes Way PACIFIC PALMS NSW 2428 just before Tiona Pk.

Closer to Forster and on the beach. Nice!

Bern
Berny
Camping King

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:58 pm

frog_a_lot wrote:My mate mentioned Seal Rocks or somewhere like that, so i had a look and thought maybe Myall Lakes area, such as on the Mungo Brush rd, i heard of one called Banksia Green or something that people say are good.

viewtopic.php?f=62&t=335

Comes up quite often on this website site.

Banksia green is one of the better camp grounds there, but there's several, and they are all pretty nice. Getting busier each year but
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby frog_a_lot » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:39 pm

Thanks for the help guys..

That last link is where i originally found out about Banksia Green.. Does anyone have anymore useful sites or threads about that area?
frog_a_lot

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:09 pm

What else do you want to know? There's at least 3 people on this site that have been there. Ask away
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby frog_a_lot » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:49 pm

Ok.. To do with those campsites along the Mungo Brush Road, such as Banksia Green..

- Are most accessible by 2WD or are they more 4WD camp sites? We have some 4WDs to go on the beach or the like but would also like to be able to get the 2WDs in as well.
- What facilities are there.. i had a quick look and they seem to all just have pit toilets and thats about it, is this the case for the majority of those campsites
- How crowded do they tend to get, bearing in mind, it will be late November, but before school holidays or anything, and we will be arriving on a Wednesday or Thursday
- What is the deal with fires in there? Are there fireplaces or fire pits etc or are you not allowed fires.
- What is the water situation? For things like washing up etc, is there boar water, we will obviously take our own drinking water.

Thats all i can think of for the moment
Thanks
frog_a_lot

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:10 pm

All campsites are 2wd. But can have a few potholes, especially Banksia green. Beach access last time I went was very limited, thanks to the Nazi's at NPWS. Would not be surprised if its been reduced again.

The toilets aren't pit toilets, their those eco-toilets, smell like a pit toilet but :lol: No showers at any of the sites I've been to.

I wouldn't worry about a crowd at the time of year you've mentioned.

I think some campsites have fire pits, but banksia green is one of the "put it where you want" campsites. There's a board as you come in telling you if there's a fire ban or not, given the time of year, there's a good chance there will be (so make sure you don't see this sign on your way in :lol: )

There's a little tap on the dunny blocks for washing hands only, and its also small and low pressure, so not really suitable to filling any containers with. If you need just washing water I'd go up the road and get it from the lake. Water there is pretty clean, just a bit yellow from all the tea trees lining the bank.
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby frog_a_lot » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:35 pm

Awesome mate thanx heaps, sounds like a good place to go..

Is there a fair bit of room there, so we can spread out a bit?

How far is it from the campsite to the beach and too the lake?

Is there much to do on the lake, we will probably take up some kayaks and a small tinnie or something, is there much fishing or anything in the lake?
frog_a_lot

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:50 pm

Depends on how many campers are there, but most are fairly open plan, not sectioned off camp sites.

I don't know about the other sites, I've only stayed at BG and one other that I've forgotten the name of. Some are right on the lake side. BG is about 2m from the sand dunes, maybe 100-200m from the water line. And the lake is 500m up the road :armsup

Much to do on the lake? Hell, its a lake :lol: Its made up of water, so I would think boats float on it, and I would assume there's fish living in there somewhere. Probably the only thing worth mentioning is it can be fairly shallow for a long way. The place I usually go to swim in the lake isn't a campsite, just a pick nick spot, and we walked out a guesstimated 500m+ before it got up to out chests ::()
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby frog_a_lot » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:23 pm

Oh damn its one of those Lakes made of water.. i thought it was jelly, god damn.

Well i guess if we have a boat and stuff we can go a fair way out into the lake to fish or whatever. Thanks for the help, if i have anymore questions ill be sure to ask and waste more of your time haha.
Thanks
frog_a_lot

Return to Camping Tips and Locations