camper trailer on fraser island

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

camper trailer on fraser island

Postby steve80 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:04 pm

gday just wondering if anyone has taken one of these types of campers on to fraser and did you encounter any problems ie: constantly getting stuck
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve80
Captain Camping

Re: camper trailer on fraser island

Postby Redback » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:18 pm

It will depend on the weight mostly, as long as you air down i don't see a problem, the sand on Fraser isn't like Stockton or Robe (these 2 places have really soft sand) ::()

When we were there we saw heaps of camper trailers, mostly soft and hard floor campers and some guys with very large fishing boats, I thought these guys would have gotten on the ferry at Hervey Bay from there it's a piece of cake as there is no soft sand when getting off the ferry, but i was wrong, they got on at Inskip Point.

If you are somewhere close to a beach that you can test it out, take some mates along with you, so if you do get bogged they can pull you out.

I can't see a problem, this will give you and idea :mrgreen:
DON'T DO THIS :--?

Baz.
01 Discovery TD5 Locked & Lifted & Redback Country Camper Trailer
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.
Peter Lalor
Redback
Blatant Padder

Postby steve80 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:33 pm

thanks baz I'm looking at maybe buying this to take to fraser and other places and are unsure whether making a big mistake or not, as cant seem to get an answer/advise from anyone up there wether it would be suitable or not. I would certainly put wider wheels on it and lift it a little.Judging by that boat I would be fine but would love to hear from anyone thats taken one of these on the beach. I 'm not in a position to try it as I'm in Vic Cheers Steve
steve80
Captain Camping

Postby steve80 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:35 am

I ended up buying this!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve80
Captain Camping

Postby Jeanette » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:17 pm

Hi

I took my 4wd camper trailer up to Fraser Island in the July school holidays and had a fabulous time. Had no problem towing it, you wouldn't have even known it was on. We did get bogged but that was the car not the trailer.

For us the camper trailer is just perfect.

Jeanette
Jeanette

Postby Joy » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:36 pm

Hi Jeanette,

Thanks for your tip and welcome to the forum. Yes you have got to love those camper trailers.

:hello:
Joy
Joy
Site Admin

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:08 pm

Redback wrote:DON'T DO THIS :--?

Baz.

:+ :***
Simple solution tho, just unhitch th boat, attach rope, drag the bogged Toyota free. :lol:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Lost Man » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:12 pm

I still have nightmares about Frazer Island.
Note: never take a pretend 4WD I.e. Honda CRV to the "Great Sand Island"
We got bogged trying to get on the ferry!
4 Times all up. Lasted on the island 40 minutes (All digging and pushing) then got the last ferry back, then got bogged on Rainbow Beach. :(
Lost Man
Camping King

Postby steve80 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:02 pm

Sorry for late reply havent been on for a while Thanks everyone, Jeanette its nice to hear from different people that have done it with a CT to hear their experiences. see how we go when the time comes I guess thanks Steve
steve80
Captain Camping

Postby bellaposs » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:17 am

Hi Guys,
We have been up to Fraser with our on road camper and we didnt know it was there. I did see a family tow a camper like the one you first mentioned and it made it to where we camped. They towed it with an imported Toyota Surf and I remember saying to my wife "how did they get here with that?" Fraser is not hard if you use your head and choose the right tide times, then its like driving on a road. It gets a bit tricky when heading off the hard stuff and entering a sandy track, but a bit of speed for momentum and you will be right. Also remember to let your tyres down to between 15 and 18 psi. I learnt that the hard way.
bellaposs

Postby steve80 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:15 pm

Gday Bella thanks for you advice on it, being from Melb dont get to do much sand driving although I have done it a few times but I have never towed on sand so will be new to me. Again thanks. By the way welcome to the forum Steve
steve80
Captain Camping

Postby Dave-Yakka » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:17 pm

Lost Man wrote:I still have nightmares about Frazer Island.
Note: never take a pretend 4WD I.e. Honda CRV to the "Great Sand Island"
We got bogged trying to get on the ferry!
4 Times all up. Lasted on the island 40 minutes (All digging and pushing) then got the last ferry back, then got bogged on Rainbow Beach. :(

I know what you mean, a friend of mine had a RAV4, and boy was it bellying out at every deep rut on the island. But it did get to and from the bardge etc... easly (skimming all the way :lol: )

bellaposs wrote: but a bit of speed for momentum and you will be right. Also remember to let your tyres down to between 15 and 18 psi. I learnt that the hard way.

momentum is the key with soft boggy sand, 3rd low with a little run-up has worked well for me. The only place i had any dramas with was Ngala Rocks bypass, very boggy, blind corners, etc...... as for your CT tyres, let them down to match your vehicle trye track (foot pattern) rather than a set PSI.
I am not sure on what vehicle you are driving, can't tell by the little picture, anyways....
i have a std 2.8D hilux, not once have i gotten bogged (been very very close to getting the shovel out), i usually have my tyres around 18-22 psi. but in the end you have to find out for yourself as every vehicle is diffenent. best is to start a little high 22-20 psi, on a piece of beach before the bardge and have a drive/play and adjust to suit. unless you have air onboard then doesn't matter what level you run as you can lower and raise at will. Just remember the lower the preasure in the tyres, the more the car will work hence more fuel you will use.

Cheers - Dave
Dave-Yakka
Captain Camping

Postby steve80 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:37 pm

Gday Dave thanks for info mate I have a 97 Paj TD with a mounted compressor so could play with pressures a bit.Were you towing?
steve80
Captain Camping

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:00 pm

steve80 wrote:Gday Bella thanks for you advice on it, being from Melb dont get to do much sand driving although I have done it a few times but I have never towed on sand so will be new to me. Again thanks. By the way welcome to the forum Steve

Remember to drop the pressures on what your towing as well.

And what pressure to run is always a touchy subject with some, but I've never driven with more than 15psi on sand with any success. My ideal pressure is 10-12. Opinions may vary. But I've come across a feller on Stockton who just couldn't get up the entry dune, I asked him "have you let your tires down".... "yeah mate, I have"... I go and check them for myself, 18psi :roll: . 5 mins later he cruised up said hill with 12psi in his tires.

Its easy just to see if your tires are bagging out, some tires on some vehicles will flatten out long before 12psi.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby steve80 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:18 pm

Yeh I guess it will be a case of trial and error hope there wont be too many errors lol. My camper's wheel track doesnt match the Paj which worries me a little :( but.......
steve80
Captain Camping

Next

Return to Camping Tips and Locations