camper trailer on fraser island

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Re: camper trailer on fraser island

Postby Derek Bullock » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:10 pm

I have seen campers - big & small, caravans - big & small, boats - big & small on Fraser Island and most people have no trouble towing them.

One thing everyone should do though is have a decent snatch strap on board. Plenty of people will give you a hand and a tow out of a bog but you will make great friends if you have your own towing gear.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby steve80 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:53 pm

Thanks Derek its good to know they do it with vans.Yeh I carry my own gear never go out without it Cheers Steve
steve80
Captain Camping

Postby bellaposs » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:42 pm

Hi guys and thanks for the welcome to the forums.
We have been to Fraser twice now, both times towing the camper. I never thought to let down the camper tyres at the time, and we managed to get through ok. BUT!! My first time over was sooooooooo embaressing because we got bogged going to the barge from Inskip Point all because I didnt let my tyres down. We could hear the skipper on the barge rediculing us over his PA system which made it WORSE!!! Then an X Trail towing a caravan got stuck/bogged behind me and he wasnt impressed. I let my tyres down on the Cruiser to 15psi and off we went. It was amazing how letting the tyres down got us up and going again. The poor X Trail had to be towed out. I will never forget that!
If I ever work out how to post pictures I will show you the look I had on my red face while I was adjusting the tyres and my wife was laughing about it all. :***
bellaposs

Postby Dave-Yakka » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:24 am

Derek wrote:One thing everyone should do though is have a decent snatch strap on board. Plenty of people will give you a hand and a tow out of a bog but you will make great friends if you have your own towing gear.

Derek

I hear ya, i have done many recoveries of other vehicles with my own gear :x
its amazing how many people don't think they need a snatch strap.
1 guy didn't have one but had a winch, problem was, where he got bogged, in the soft stuff at the bottom of the middlerocks enterance, there was nothing to winch off of. He had no shovel nothing. So i over took him parked on the timbers and he winched of off my tow-bar. There are plenty of silly, unprepared, and the 'she'll be right, i don't get bogged' attitude.

And Steve80, i wasn't towing a trailer. So if your wheel track is different between theCT and the 4X4, you will find while towing that the trailer would most likely be everywhere, as the 4x4 wheel track will create a 'rut' so to speak and the CT being narrower, it will try to land a wheel into one of the ruts causing it to crab a little, which will require constant rev's and speed.

Cheers - Dave
Dave-Yakka
Captain Camping

Postby Redback » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:49 am

Having a snatch strap or tow strap is good, but have recovery points to attach them to is very important too, i don't know how many times i've come across AWDs/4WDs bogged, that either don't have the recovery gear but also, don't have recovery points on the car.

Steve we towed a dual axle trailer onto Fraser Is in 2001, it was loaded with a 2 room Jackaroo tent, BBQ, 2 trailbikes, plus all our gear, weighed in at around 1ton, just the trailer was 600kg + 2 trailbikes at 300kg, so you'll be fine.

Baz.
01 Discovery TD5 Locked & Lifted & Redback Country Camper Trailer
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.
Peter Lalor
Redback
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:25 pm

AND rated shackles are also a must.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby steve80 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:30 pm

Thanks everyone I do feel much better about doing now.I have had heaps of experience 4bying, a little on sand but never towing on sand so was a little apprehensive about it. Again thanks for advice. Dave the thing with my camper is the wheel track is wider than the Pajero not narrower but I guess the princeple of what your saying about a wheel slipping into the 4by ruts would be the same. Cheers Steve
steve80
Captain Camping

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:34 pm

And a shovel!!!

A shovel will get you out of ANY bogged predicament (so long as you've got the time and patience :lol: ). But if your all on your own, its something very handy to have.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby steve80 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:05 pm

lol shovel always goes with me
steve80
Captain Camping

Postby Ricklanga » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:31 pm

Thanks Derek its good to know they do it with vans.Yeh I carry my own gear never go out without it Cheers Steve
If you would like to see a good example of towing on Frazer go here http://www.thegallboys.com/DVD's%20Avai ... 0Page.html and check out their DVD's. I have "Makin' the most of the Frazer Coast" and "The rugged Cape York Adventure". The places these blokes tow their van I would be reluctant to go without towing and yet they always manage to get themselves out of some fairly dire predicaments. I guarantee you will enjoy watching any of these DVD's but be careful, you may be tempted to pack up and hit the dirt tomorrow :***
It always rains on tents. Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds for the opportunity to rain on a tent.
Ricklanga
Post Machine!

Postby steve80 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:58 pm

Yeah I have got all the Gall boys DVD's lol I certainly wouldnt go where they go with it although it helps if ya have the back up and support that they have with them.Would love to take off right now feet are getting itchy :***
steve80
Captain Camping

Postby scottyboy » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:52 pm

Hi guys (and gals)
I was just surfing web and found this forum and post. I signed up so I could answer this post. :grin:

I just came back from Fraser - was there for 7 nights.

First time to fraser - first time driving on sand - we where by ourselves (wife and kids)

I had the same reservations taking my camper trailer. I posted on another popular forum asking what people thought. THe general consensus is just go - dont stress it and have a great time.

Ive got a gutless old hilux - that was my main concern. Really had no problem at all.

The hardest part of our trip was the open expanse between the track at Inskip and the barge (luckily you can see a picture of it at start of this thread). As long as you got some momentem going and stay in your gear you shouldnt have a problem. Anyways waht is the worse that could happen - you get stuck (no chance of water catching you there) and someone pulls you out - no problem!! After that - if you want to eliminate any stress - just go at low tide - and you will be fine.

The inland tracks where rough and soft in some places - no problem with the camper unhiched. The original plan was to go back via Hervey Bay but i didnt want to take the trailer through the inland track - people where though - i was just being super cautious.

It can be tricky going up to a campsite - over the dunes but we got it first try. We parked the camper then explored the island from there.

If you have any questions on current conditions - just let me know.

My advice (newby advice) is if you want to do i the easiest - go via inskip - and try to get there around low tide so you can go around hook point on the beach and then all the way up around low tide - just watch out and slow down for wash outs - you will get used when to slow down. Just take it easy!! It is such an amazing place
scottyboy
Camping King

Postby steve80 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:41 pm

Thanks Scott my circumstances changed couple of months back (lost my job) I am working, but half the $ I was on, so had to put the trip on the back burner for a while Cheers mate
steve80
Captain Camping

Postby scottyboy » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:11 pm

Sorry to hear that - hope things work out. Fraser should be there for a while!!!

steve80 wrote:Thanks Scott my circumstances changed couple of months back (lost my job) I am working, but half the $ I was on, so had to put the trip on the back burner for a while Cheers mate
scottyboy
Camping King

Postby steve80 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:59 pm

Thanks mate Alls good but just mucked my plans up a bit but I will get back there hopefully soon Cheers Steve
steve80
Captain Camping

Previous

Return to Camping Tips and Locations