Storm Kettles

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Storm Kettles

Postby Otto » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:02 am

The quickest boil of water you can have, 7 minutes for 2.2 litres!!!! Using only a few leaves and twigs!

According to Wikipedia:
A storm kettle is a device used for boiling water in the outdoors. It consists of a base, in which a fire is lit (usually with wood, paper, etc.), and a double-walled main body. The centre of the main body acts as a chimney for the fire, while the water is contained in the chimney wall. A large surface area of water is thus exposed to the heat, little heat is lost directly to the atmosphere, and the centre chimney creates a upward chimney draft of heat, maximising water heating efficiency. A typical kettle can boil 2.5 pints of water in about 5 minutes. Typically, bits of paper, twigs and other small combustible material are started in the base, the kettle is put on the base, and additional burnable material is dropped dropped the chimney as needed.

Kettles of very similar design are manufactured by the Kelly Kettle Company (Kelly Kettle or Volcano Kettle), the Eydon Kettle Company (Storm Kettle) and the Ghillie Kettle Company. They are all manufactured from aluminum. Two or three sizes are available, from 500 ml (~2 cups or 16 oz) to 1.5 L (~6 cups or 50 oz). The manufacturers also sell a cook set with a little grill and pan that fits over the base. The Kelly Kettle Company also supplies a pot support which is placed in the chimney which ensures the effective use of the cook sets. The cook sets fit into the internal chimney for transport.

I've got a tin Thermette made in NZ, and a Kelly kettle made in Ireland. Although I havent used the Kelly Kettle yet (it must go under the Christmas tree), the Thermette is amazing! And if you PM me and ask nicely, I know where to get a Tin Thermette for only $50, brand new!

Other links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storm_kettle
http://www.wildernessaccess.com/kelly-kettle-review.htm
http://www.oldjimbo.com/survival/kellystove.html
Otto
Camping King

Re: Storm Kettles

Postby Derek Bullock » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:41 am

Hillbilly, Eco and Dingo are Australian made ones with Eco being made of stainless steel. Hillbilly Camping Gear Sell them online. Look here. http://www.campingwithhillbilly.com/products.htm

Eco

Dingo

Hillbilly

Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:06 pm

The one I have is the Kelly Kettle from Ireland and it has also not yet been used, only bought it a couple months ago.

I have friends from NZ and they have a copper Thermette which cost about $100. We use it just about every camp for hot water for washing up, showers etc.

It would be interesting to know the original history of them as my kiwi friends claim the kiwis to be the originators.

Cheers.....
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Redback » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:37 am

This type of kettle was invented by the Kelly bros in 1890 in the West coast of Ireland, it was originally called the Volcano Kettle, the Kiwi version was first used during the first or second world war by NZ solders, i dare say it was probably a Kelly Kettle that they got their idea from as was all the other kettles that are now on the market.

I have a Malleys Picnic kettle with a stove top attachment :grin:

Baz.
01 Discovery TD5 Locked & Lifted & Redback Country Camper Trailer
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.
Peter Lalor
Redback
Blatant Padder

Postby Blue Bravo » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:53 pm

Have seen them being used. Mrs Bravo and I just fill a thermos from breakfast time to have hot water for morning tea. Water boiled in a billy either over fire or gas cooker. :grin:
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:02 am

My kiwi friends have just passed on this info taken from their Thermette box:

On the box we have for the thermette origanial $180.00 says the thermette was invented in 1929 by John A Hart from Manawatu in NZ it was used as standard equipment by NZ troops during world war two.

Theirs is the copper version and I'd add a pic if it were possible but unfortunately am still getting the error message saying Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby ben... » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:33 am

$12.00 what a bargin! :) we had one just like that when i was a kid, but in red. My parents took it on picnics, was a great idea, wonder what ever happend to it??? :?

Redback wrote:This type of kettle was invented by the Kelly bros in 1890 in the West coast of Ireland, it was originally called the Volcano Kettle, the Kiwi version was first used during the first or second world war by NZ solders, i dare say it was probably a Kelly Kettle that they got their idea from as was all the other kettles that are now on the market.

I have a Malleys Picnic kettle with a stove top attachment :grin:

Baz.
ben...
Post Machine!

Return to Gear Guide