struts camper 6

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

struts camper 6

Postby maztez2 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:46 am

Hi, just wondering if anyone has put struts, hinges etc on a oz trail camper6. We are a couple of retirees and find loading and unloading through the back tail gate is getting to be a bit of a hassle. Unloading through the trapdoor on the bed base is ok when we have the camper up but sometimes need to get in to camper to get lights etc for home if power blackout. Have spoken to caravan repairer on Gold Coast but quote was bit exy and then another said wouldnt touch these 'cheap' campers as base not strong for struts.
Cheers
Tez & Maz
maztez2

Re: struts camper 6

Postby mr_grumble » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:35 pm

I've been down this path before with my camper 12.
I found that it's not so much the strength of the base so much as it is the crapy hinges that are supplied.
If you place the struts in the correct position, everything should be ok.
The problem with this is the amount of space under the base that you have to sacrafice due to the struts extending across the entire width of the trailer. If you reposition the strust (as I tried) where it limits the amount of space in which they occupy, the force of the struts when shut WILL move the base sidewards and bend the hinges severly. This exact thing happened to mine !

My suggestions would be;
[*] Don't even think of using the struts. I pick up the side of our camper 12 with relative ease, the camper 6 should provide very little weight. All you would have to configure is a pole or something to prop the base open, pretty simple really.
[*]Forget about both hinges and struts and get a full lenght slide out drawer, not too $$$, I'd suggest a 'Drifta' storage box, good quality and designed specifically for this job. http://www.drifta.com.au/StorageBoxes.php

Hope this helps.

Steve
Image Image Image
mr_grumble
Post Machine!

Postby maztez2 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:15 pm

Thanks for your suggestions, the full length drawer is probably the option for us. Our son has two of these side by side in his camper which are excellent, tho he does have the top that has the struts. his camper is a lot bigger than ours
cheers
maztez2

Postby Derek Bullock » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:21 pm

Hi

I would be lost without the struts on mine. This question has been asked a few times before and I posted on my forum information on my strut set-up. You may find that useful. Have a look here http://www.aussiecampovenforum.com/cgi- ... 606089/0#0

Just remember with the full length draw that you need room to pull it out. That can be difficult in a garage.

Cheers

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Return to Gear Guide