Campsites..generally speaking..

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Campsites..generally speaking..

Postby Nogfet » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:31 pm

Well..the book said that camping in Australia was "exceptional"....they must have been referring to the folk and vistas...couldnt have been referring to the campsites as quite a few in our so-far limited oz experience (Queensland / NSW) have been pretty dreadful. We're travelling on mcycle and tenting so all my spleen venting is aimed at those sites with this in mind..campsites may be perfect for the motorhome carrying all but kitchen sink but for tenting campers the shortfalls and general low standard soon becomes apparent. They do seem to be exceptions...Big4 Emerald Beach is top notch and goes someway in matching NZ campsites for facilities etc...from this 4 star site its a long way down to the likes of 3 star Byron Bay Tourist Park which frankly ought to forget about the outdoor camping scene and close down. There's one thing about oz camping...you never know what u'll get till get there...not always a bad thing but theres some serious sorting of wood from chaff if oz campsites are to raise standards.

Happy Camping!
Nogfet

Re: Campsites..generally speaking..

Postby HGMonaro » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:36 pm

what do you expect / want?

It sounds like you're talking about caravan parks rather than campsites. Campsites (to me) have minimal facilities, maybe a long drop dunny and possibly fire rings with hotplates. At a van park, I expect clean toilets/showers, power if I've paid for it and somewhere to get some water from. Traveling by motorbike I'm assuming you would like the use of a camp kitchen? I've seen some good ones and some so-so ones but the majority still expect you to have your own cooking utensils (pots, plates, etc).

Cheers, Nige
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:50 pm

Think you should be looking for campgrounds as oppposed to caravan parks. Though some CPs do have a campground attached as well and they would be the better option for you, judging by what you have posted.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby freerocketman1 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:58 pm

drink a cup of cement & harden up. :lol:
freerocketman1
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:10 pm

freerocketman1 wrote:drink a cup of cement & harden up. :lol:

Ouch!!
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Poodle Jewel » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:41 am

Like all camping,whether you have a tent,Ct,caravan or what ever,you usually research the places that suit your set up,if you have one of those humungous winnabagos you are hardly going to camp in a place that can`t accommadate it.Some places have camp kitchens some don`t,some are 4 wd only some aren`t,some have toilets and showers some don`t,some have drinking water some don`t. In a country as big as ours i think it is unrealistic to expect every place to be exactly the same...and lets face it some like roughing it some don`t.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:52 pm

Too true PJ......
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Return to Camping Tips and Locations